The 2017 Rights Deal Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten dont have the money.

In WA and Vic 7 will do what 7 did with the SANFL and use 7Mate on Saturday arvo. Some Sanfl games on 7Mate out rated the AFL game showing at the same time on the main channel - and because of Thursday night footy and 7 having no Saturday arvo games when they had Easter Monday and Queens Birthday games, 7 in Adelaide showed the Sanfl game on the main channel and not 7Mate those Saturdays. The Sanfl GF on the Sunday after the Saturday AFL prelim final, outrated more than half the port and crows games on 7 in Adelaide (7 only figures not 7+Fox Footy figures). 7 will go for the lot.

Then Probably Ten would have to look to Australian Masters Golf & Sydney To Hobart Yacht Race TV Rights because Seven has a lot of Sports TV Rights that expire in 2015. Nine would probably want NRL International & Big Bash Cricket Tournaments.

Last edited:
Then Probably Ten would have to look to Australian Masters Golf & Sydney To Hobart Yacht Race TV Rights because Seven has a lot of Sports TV Rights that expire in 2015. Nine would probably want NRL International & Big Bash Cricket Tournaments.

I suspect Ten would be interested in 2 games like they did with 7 in the 2007-12 deal. Cant see them affording to take on 4 or 5 games which would cost at least $500mil for 4 games, unless they get cashed new owners/majority shareholders. Gina has resigned as a director but kept her 10%. Cant see her putting in any new cash - her Roy Hill mine project will take that.

Ten picked up the rights to the V8s earlier this year for 2015 to 2020.
FYI http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/...e-details-of-2015-2020-media-rights-agreement

Well that frees up Seven to use 7 and 7Mate mainly for its footy content if it picks up the WAFL and VFL. The joke is using 7Mate for the state leagues 7 can film them in HD but still use SD for the AFL. I not in that story that 6 of the races will be simulcast in HD on Fox Sports. I assume will film them all in HD and use ONE for simulcasts.

Well that frees up Seven to use 7 and 7Mate mainly for its footy content if it picks up the WAFL and VFL. The joke is using 7Mate for the state leagues 7 can film them in HD but still use SD for the AFL. I not in that story that 6 of the races will be simulcast in HD on Fox Sports. I assume will film them all in HD and use ONE for simulcasts.

Could 7 take the risk of running premium programming on 7mate? Wasnt the SANFL on 7mate?

7 did make a statement some time back they want to lead on all their channels.

Could 7 take the risk of running premium programming on 7mate? Wasnt the SANFL on 7mate?

7 did make a statement some time back they want to lead on all their channels.

I cant see why not. But then again I dont know why the main chanels arent on HD. At least $BS is om 3 on SD and 30 which in HD and 33 with SD. SBS2 is on 32 with SD. It cant all be about cost and spectrum/bandwidth.

I cant see why not. But then again I dont know why the main chanels arent on HD. At least $BS is om 3 on SD and 30 which in HD and 33 with SD. SBS2 is on 32 with SD. It cant all be about cost and spectrum/bandwidth.

Can't see anything being done until the retune is finished http://retune.digitalready.gov.au

Also, according to this article, networks are still forbidden from showing their primary channel in HD.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/09/why-the-hold-up-to-change-primary-channels-to-hd.html

ut as FreeTV explains, networks can’t make that move under current regulation. Last December FreeTV wrote to Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull recommending Legislative change to the Broadcast Services Act to drop the requirement that primary channels must be an SDTV service.

“Under the current regulatory framework broadcasters are forbidden to show their primary channel in HD and under the antisiphoning rules listed sports must be on a primary channel unless you get permission to do otherwise,” said Free TV CEO, Julie Flynn.

“So the first step which we think is absolutely a no-brainer and can be done simply and quickly is to get rid of the regulation in Schedule 4. Deciding whether or not to run your primary channel in HD should be a commercial decision for broadcasters.”

While Seven indicated it backed FreeTV’s push, a TEN spokesperson this week told TV Tonight, “We have asked the Government to get rid of the regulation currently preventing us from broadcasting our primary channel, TEN, in HD. Once the restriction is gone we will be able to provide more premium HD content to viewers.”

That is one of the dumbest regulations i've ever seen. I can understand why they'd have to broadcast in SD, but they're actually prohibited from simulcasting in HD?

What the actual ****?

The sooner we get rid of the Minister for Communications having so much power and protecting his media mates - or not wanting to upset them so that come election time they dont support the opposition, and set up an independent body having full control of communication rules and regulations like the FFC in the USA and Office of Communications (OfComm) in the UK, the sooner we consumers will get a decent deal and full value out of TV system.

This control TV owners have over the Minister goes back to 1967, we should have got colour TV in 1968 or 69, but it was delayed until 1975 because the Fairfax's and Packer's who owned 7 and 9 in both Sydney and Melbourne respectively told the government they didnt want to spend the money to convert to colour. They were the main reason why we got pay TV in 1994 not 1979, which meant when the internet arrived in 1994 or 1995 the country wasn't cabled up say like Canada who is 1.5 times our land mass with 1.5 times our population and started cabling up their big cities and country towns in the middle of nowhere back in 1979. And it goes on and on even thru digital TV introduction. I could rewrite the pages I have written on Big Footy since 2005 about this control stuffing things up for us consumers of TV.

Last edited:
The sooner we get rid of the Minister for Communications having so much power and protecting his media mates - or not wanting to upset them so that come election time they dont support the opposition, and set up an independent body having full control of communication rules and regulations like the FFC in the USA and Office of Communications (OfComm) in the UK, the sooner we consumers will get a decent deal and full value out of TV system.

This control TV owners have over the Minister goes back to 1967, we should have got colour TV in 1968 or 69, but it was delayed until 1975 because the Fairfax's and Packer's who owned 7 and 9 in both Sydney and Melbourne respectively told the government they didnt want to spend the money to convert to colour. They were the main reason why we got pay TV in 1994 not 1979, which meant when the internet arrived in 1994 or 1995 the country wasn't cabled up say like Canada who is 1.5 times our land mass with 1.5 times our population and started cabling up their big sities and country towns in the middle of nowhere back in 1979. And it goes on and on even thru digital TV introduction. I could rewrite the pages I have written on Big Footy since 2005 about this control stuffing things up for us consumers of TV.

All very true re the power and influence of the media barons going back many decades.

One would have thought that that would have been well and truly on the wane in the modern age.

Stadard channels have to be accessible to as many people as possible. Not all tv sets are HD capable.
Given that the analogue signal has now been switched off, everyone needs a digital TV or set top box. So why can't they broadcast their main channel in HD? If the user has a non HD capable TV, wouldn't they be able to at least watch in the highest quality their crappy TV allows?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-10/end-of-an-era3a-analogue-tv-switched-off-in-victoria/5145824

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Note that the VFL coverage by Seven will be shown on its main channel and on a saturday - meaning it will be up against AFL coverage on Fox, and will effectively be a lead in to the delayed afternoon afl game on seven.

Seven announced on Tuesday night that McGuire Media would produce the matches, with the games to be shown on Seven's primary channel in Melbourne. This means a live lunch-time VFL match will be shown before Seven's delayed afternoon AFL match. That delayed AFL match is shown live on Fox Footy.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-by-landing-vfl-coverage-20141118-11p506.html

This could see a push from the broadcaster to have the game played at the same location as the afternoon game in Melbourne to reduce the broadcasters costs.

The VFL hopes it experiences similar success that the South Australian National Football League enjoyed this year when McGuire Media produced its local coverage for Seven.

SANFL broadcasts averaged about 31,000 viewers this year compared to 16,000 in 2013. The grand final had an average audience of 129,000 – the highest rating SANFL grand final since 2002.

Worth noting that apart from SANFL Showdowns and the final, most SANFL games were shown on 7mate. VFL games shown pre-AFL games are going to rate 100k+ i suspect in Melbourne.

Looks like the starting times will be about the same as the ABC around 1pm and should rate well as there is a ready made audience form the ABC plus 7 should bring a lot more viewers.
I like the idea of having the matches at a permanent location maybe North Port Oval or Sandringhams TB Oval with Sandys ground the better as its an all weather surface and AFL size whereas Ports ground chops up in the winter esp the cricket pitches in the middle which TBO dosent have.
. and is small..

It should be a possibility that Ten can get the VFL & WAFL TV Rights after the end of 2016, if it misses out on AFL.

Worth noting that apart from SANFL Showdowns and the final, most SANFL games were shown on 7mate. VFL games shown pre-AFL games are going to rate 100k+ i suspect in Melbourne.

The only exception to that was when 7 didn't have an afternoon game in SA because they wanted the right to the Easter Monday, ANZAC Day and Queen's Birthday games so they had a vacant time slot on Saturday afternoon and 7 Adelaide filled that with a SANFL game. Same happened when the 3 split rounds were on and 7 had 1 or 2 free Saturday arvo time slots. I reckon 5 maybe 6 of the 18 round SANFL games were shown on 7's main channel due to these vacant time slots.

Last edited:
David Gyngell had a bit to say over recent days:
  • Speaking after the free-to-air television to live events company’s annual meeting Mr Gyngell also blasted the mooted $1.5 billion to $2 billion price tag for the next round of AFL sport rights as “a complete joke”.
    “I think it’s a joke, a complete joke,” he told Fairfax Media. “They are dreaming, they are not going to get it. Our competitors can do what they like, sports have gone up all around the world but it sounds like an extraordinarily high price.

“People keep forgetting there is an anti-siphoning list in Australia to ensure that Australians get access to free content and if the television advertising market has grown by 1 per cent over five years how can people say 25 per cent more for sports rights?

“I would be saying the same thing about NRL as well.” Nine has a five-year deal with the NRL whereas Seven is in the middle of a $1.25 billion five-year-deal with the AFL.”

• Nine Entertainment Co chief executive David Gyngell says the network will override its regional affiliate WIN Corp when their affiliation deal runs out, saying Nine will simply stream programmes to the regions via the internet.
http://www.afr.com/p/business/marke...rops_reach_rule_battle_lr5rANeZwHIN74EamaO3FP

I remember when the AFL were 'dreaming' when they set their sights on a $1b deal last time. It's the same dance we go through every 5 years. The TV execs and 'industry insiders' will talk down the AFL's chances in a futile bid to drive the price down, but in the end the AFL will get whatever deal the market place warrants.

I remember when the AFL were 'dreaming' when they set their sights on a $1b deal last time. It's the same dance we go through every 5 years. The TV execs and 'industry insiders' will talk down the AFL's chances in a futile bid to drive the price down, but in the end the AFL will get whatever deal the market place warrants.

Thats right the market always wins.

I Imagine that in the next TV Rights Deal Seven & Fox will retain AFL TV Rights, with Ten securing VFL, SANFL & WAFL TV Rights.

I Imagine that in the next TV Rights Deal Seven & Fox will retain AFL TV Rights, with Ten securing VFL, SANFL & WAFL TV Rights.

Based on what?

The SANFL had a choice between seven and nine, they went with seven. The WAFL have apparently frozen out Nine from discussions, and its a one horse race there that will likely see it end up on seven. the VFL is going to Seven. Ten havent expressed any sort of interest in any of these discussions, havent even been mentioned.

The VFL & SANFL TV Rights all expire at the End of 2016 along with AFL TV Rights.

That may be but your "Seven will win the AFL rights, ten the state rights" is based on literally nothing.

Its just as likely that the VFL rights could be rolled into the AFL rights agreement since both are up at the same time, and both are properties owned by the AFL (and this would bring it into line with similar deals signed by the NRL which includes the Holden Cup, NSW Cup and NSW Schoolboys as part of their deal). The SANFL and WAFL arrangements cant be included because those are not AFL properties.

Nine have actively been involved in both the SA and WA negotiations, Ten have literally not said a word thats been reported or speculated on.

Okay then I hope that in 2017 Seven retains the AFL TV Rights & if the VFL TV Rights is rolled into the AFL rights agreement, I hope that Ten can secure the VFL TV Rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back