List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are these realistic targets you're referring to?

I suspect he means identifying guys that may nor be big trade targets, but have similar skills. After all, Richmond managed to get those types of guys in at a point when they are affordable because unknown more broadly. Maybe our scouts could look for another guy along those lines? I don’t for a moment think they will, but this doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

Hoping it might be something to do with pick 3. So 3 and the 2nd to GWS for 12, 18 and Mumford
I wish you hadn’t said this because I suddenly have a compelling vision we somehow make it happen

I suspect he means identifying guys that may nor be big trade targets, but have similar skills. After all, Richmond managed to get those types of guys in at a point when they are affordable because unknown more broadly. Maybe our scouts could look for another guy along those lines? I don’t for a moment think they will, but this doesn’t mean it can’t be done.
Except we can't develop those types. Jayden Hunt was every bit as promising a half back flank as there was in the comp and now he can't even find the ball in the back half. We use Salem to do harmless 20m dinky kicks in the back half then watch get beaten by his man in a marking contest. We have Fritsch and Melk who would be two of the best in the comp at going inside 50 yet our inside mids blaze over their heads in search of Spargo one out deep.

Hoping it might be something to do with pick 3. So 3 and the 2nd to GWS for 12, 18 and Mumford
At least the other teams qould just forfeit if we had mummy and pruess both playing

Except we can't develop those types. Jayden Hunt was every bit as promising a half back flank as there was in the comp and now he can't even find the ball in the back half. We use Salem to do harmless 20m dinky kicks in the back half then watch get beaten by his man in a marking contest. We have Fritsch and Melk who would be two of the best in the comp at going inside 50 yet our inside mids blaze over their heads in search of Spargo one out deep.
Oh sure - my post was more about Schmuttt missing the premise of the post and firing back with “these guys aren’t available” shit. But we should get better from our team. Agree totally. If our coaching shit doesn’t show some signs of even incremental improvement in the first half of next year I’m out. And will post live stream of eating three lizards with nuts

4 yeas for Elliott I’m thinking might have to happen if it is the only way of getting him across. As long as we aren’t breaking the bank for a guy who has missed two entire seasons in past 4 years. But I’m tipping he’s not coming over on a heavily backed match payments deal.

Apparently we are trying to go with next years 2nd for Langdon instead of this years.

We’ve been trying this since mid year. It’s an interesting one though as next year a pick in the mid 30s is considered stronger than an early 2nd this year.

I’ll play along. Does this mean we have a plan for this years 2nd? (If so, I hope it involves Marlion Pickett or Ellis)
Ellis is goneski to GC for a shitload of coin.

Who are these realistic targets you're referring to?
Clearly we need pressure forwards. I get that Butler is off to Carlton but would’ve hoped that we had asked the question. Outside and/or defensive mids obviously would also suit and a key forward wouldn’t go astray. ‘Realistic’ is in the eye of the beholder and I’ll leave players like B Hill, Papley and J Martin out given they’ve already committed to other clubs. I’d be happy if we landed one or two of the following role players:

Small forwards
Ben Crocker - forced out by Stephenson, DeGoey, Thomas & co. Pretty quick, decent at ground level and plays with a bit of campaigner like Butler.

Robbie Fox - stuck behind a plethora of good Sydney small forwards.

Aidyn Johnson - has played as a defensive forward on J McGovern with aplomb.

Jamaine Jones - delisted by Geelong. Good ground level skills.

Zac Langdon - looks to have fallen in the pecking order behind Daniels and Lloyd.

Lewis Taylor - can also run through the middle.

‘Wingmen’
Harley Bennell - body/personal issues, but is an absolute jet and worth a punt given what he would cost imo.

Tom Cutler - more upside than Tomlinson imo

Jayden Laverde - has decent speed and can use the ball well. A change of scenery might suit.

Kamdyn McIntosh - finds himself on the outer at Richmond could be a good defensive wing option.

Sam Murray - delisted by Collingwood. Apparently has issues but also has a lot of pace and can get on the outside. Like B Smith could also be used as a half back.

Jack Newnes - generally uses the ball well. His role could suit us.

Brodie Smith - good pace and a good kick, admittedly would be hard to get. Could also swing off half back to get Salem up the field.

Key forwards
Mitch Brown - is a handy player that can also swing back to defence if required. Doubt Essendon would let him go if Daniher leaves though.

Jordan Dawson - could struggle to fit in the side with Blakey, Franklin, McCartin, Reid and potentially Daniher.

Elliot Himmelberg - would be hard to get out of the Crows but can’t see him getting a game ahead of Tex, Fogarty or Lynch.

Callum Moore - has competition with Chol and Balta, behind Lynch and Riewoldt.

Sam Reid - could struggle to fit in the side with Blakey, Dawson, Franklin, McCartin and potentially Daniher.

James Stewart - has fallen back in the queue at Essendon. Better option than Jenkins imo and can also adequately back up ruck. Although, if Daniher leaves they could be reluctant to let him go.

Peter Wright - could find himself on the outer at Gold Coast with the emergence of King and Lukosious. Another forward/ruck option.

I get that some responses will be: “lolz, that guy is way shitter than Langdon/Tomlinson/Elliot.”, or “****ing idiot that guy is in contract and no way his club would let him walk rofl.” However, any one or two of the above players* suit our needs better imo.

I know there’s no silver bullet and if our tactics/game plan/player development/fitness don’t improve we’re looking at bottom four again. However, I’d rather the club attacks a gun player (none of those listed above but could’ve looked at B Hill, Papley, Martin etc) with a $800k contract to suit a need and drafts two kids than soak up almost a million of the cap for average role players that don’t address our fundamental issues.

If people think that Elliot/Langdon/Tomlinson are the bee’s knees - great. I hope they are proven right and I’m wearing the internet dunce hat. I can only call it as I see it and what I see is us hanging on to our own rubbish and chasing role players that don’t suit our needs and will soak up a reasonable whack of the salary cap.

*Obviously wouldn’t pick up two recycled key forwards for obvious reasons.

We’ve been trying this since mid year. It’s an interesting one though as next year a pick in the mid 30s is considered stronger than an early 2nd this year.
Apparently we want to set ourselves to have a crack next year so a pick this year is more appealing.

Whether thats the recipe for sustained success depends on whether we draft the right guy or not I guess.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly we need pressure forwards. I get that Butler is off to Carlton but would’ve hoped that we had asked the question. Outside and/or defensive mids obviously would also suit and a key forward wouldn’t go astray. ‘Realistic’ is in the eye of the beholder and I’ll leave players like B Hill, Papley and J Martin out given they’ve already committed to other clubs. I’d be happy if we landed one or two of the following role players:

Small forwards
Ben Crocker - forced out by Stephenson, DeGoey, Thomas & co. Pretty quick, decent at ground level and plays with a bit of campaigner like Butler.

Robbie Fox - stuck behind a plethora of good Sydney small forwards.

Aidyn Johnson - has played as a defensive forward on J McGovern with aplomb.

Jamaine Jones - delisted by Geelong. Good ground level skills.

Zac Langdon - looks to have fallen in the pecking order behind Daniels and Lloyd.

Lewis Taylor - can also run through the middle.

‘Wingmen’
Harley Bennell - body/personal issues, but is an absolute jet and worth a punt given what he would cost imo.

Tom Cutler - more upside than Tomlinson imo

Jayden Laverde - has decent speed and can use the ball well. A change of scenery might suit.

Kamdyn McIntosh - finds himself on the outer at Richmond could be a good defensive wing option.

Sam Murray - delisted by Collingwood. Apparently has issues but also has a lot of pace and can get on the outside. Like B Smith could also be used as a half back.

Jack Newnes - generally uses the ball well. His role could suit us.

Brodie Smith - good pace and a good kick, admittedly would be hard to get. Could also swing off half back to get Salem up the field.

Key forwards
Mitch Brown - is a handy player that can also swing back to defence if required. Doubt Essendon would let him go if Daniher leaves though.

Jordan Dawson - could struggle to fit in the side with Blakey, Franklin, McCartin, Reid and potentially Daniher.

Elliot Himmelberg - would be hard to get out of the Crows but can’t see him getting a game ahead of Tex, Fogarty or Lynch.

Callum Moore - has competition with Chol and Balta, behind Lynch and Riewoldt.

Sam Reid - could struggle to fit in the side with Blakey, Dawson, Franklin, McCartin and potentially Daniher.

James Stewart - has fallen back in the queue at Essendon. Better option than Jenkins imo and can also adequately back up ruck. Although, if Daniher leaves they could be reluctant to let him go.

Peter Wright - could find himself on the outer at Gold Coast with the emergence of King and Lukosious. Another forward/ruck option.

I get that some responses will be: “lolz, that guy is way s**tter than Langdon/Tomlinson/Elliot.”, or “******* idiot that guy is in contract and no way his club would let him walk rofl.” However, any one or two of the above players* suit our needs better imo.

I know there’s no silver bullet and if our tactics/game plan/player development/fitness don’t improve we’re looking at bottom four again. However, I’d rather the club attacks a gun player (none of those listed above but could’ve looked at B Hill, Papley, Martin etc) with a $800k contract to suit a need and drafts two kids than soak up almost a million of the cap for average role players that don’t address our fundamental issues.

If people think that Elliot/Langdon/Tomlinson are the bee’s knees - great. I hope they are proven right and I’m wearing the internet dunce hat. I can only call it as I see it and what I see is us hanging on to our own rubbish and chasing role players that don’t suit our needs and will soak up a reasonable whack of the salary cap.

*Obviously wouldn’t pick up two recycled key forwards for obvious reasons.

Not a fan of all of those, but certainly some worth asking the question of. Would also throw Sam Gray in there as a free hit. Don't really think we need to explore more key forwards - just need the ones we have to get fit.

Cutler, Bennell, Crocker, Murray and Taylor are worth talking to / about. Could pick any of them up for between nothing and a third rounder. Worth sniffing around Brodie Smith too given the implosion at Adelaide, but I'm sure they'd want plenty for him. Pity; a good, long, accurate boot in the back half would do wonders for our side.

Most of those talls don't excite, although I don't mind Dawson. Good kick, looks promising enough, could be quite decent if given a run of games.

Was having a twitter convo today. Was told our offer to Tomlinson would be around 800k per year for 4-5 years. I don’t think we’d offer this much. Thinking more around 500k.
Lol we aren't offering Thomlinson 800k

Was having a twitter convo today. Was told our offer to Tomlinson would be around 800k per year for 4-5 years. I don’t think we’d offer this much. Thinking more around 500k.

That sounds like one of those "how gullible and stupid are the people following trade rumours" tweets. Tomlinson on $800k a year? Laughable. $800k over 4 years is closer to the mark.

That sounds like one of those "how gullible and stupid are the people following trade rumours" tweets. Tomlinson on $800k a year? Laughable. $800k over 4 years is closer to the mark.
I don’t believe it. But wasn’t one of those troll trade accounts. A coupe of guys who only really have genuine conversations. They didn’t say they had any inside information. Not that I asked them. Just seems to think they was going to be the offer.

I don’t believe it. But wasn’t one of those troll trade accounts. A coupe of guys who only really have genuine conversations. They didn’t say they had any inside information. Not that I asked them. Just seems to think they was going to be the offer.

Could have been the Pope informing me of the same deal after hearing it directly from Gods' lips and I still wouldn't have a bar of it. Serious contemplation of such an offer by any club official should be grounds for immediate termination.

I need DB to post another rumour, I don't care if he makes it up I'm just desperate for something :'(

How about a recap of some old ones?

With Puopolo looking more likely than not to retire, watch for a late play to pick him up as DFA should things go pear shaped with Elliott.

I posted very early on that we were in discussions with gws to split the pick. Well it seems there are a few more potentially interested. Sydney, WCE, Freo all looking.

The GWS player we were into I am assuming was Tomlinson.

We spoke to a Richmond player that I am assuming was Butler. No movement on this from what I can tell.

Keep an eye on Adelaide. They’re going to lose a lot and might go a bit crazy. I’m hearing they’re confident they’ll land lukosius one way or another. Most likely part of Crouch.

Wines not going away, but I’m sure the same shit will be talked about in 12 months.

Absolutely not! I heard 4 @ $1.6-1.8M

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back