List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call, happy to admit my own shortcomings - proposed trades are apparently one of them!
Nevermind mate, but you've got to think this way. Melbourne have the pick that other clubs want, be it GWS or Sydney or whoever. We don't have to give it up. So it's got to be something thsn makes us want to give the pick up. Example would be gws wanting the pick because it allows them a player on top of their academy player in green. So effectively they get a top player on top of a top 5 talent (who will be bid on around 3-5, forcing them to use all their picks 12, 18 and maybe more. So they get a massive benefit from pick 3 coming their way. Therefore they need to pay through the nose. Pick 12, 18 and probably a best 22 player or young homesick player. It needs to make Melbourne want to change it, as we aren't obliged to help gws.

Same for Sydney. If they are throwing up an offer, it's got to be this year's first (assuming it's 9 or so for Papley and they lose 4) and next year's first plus another best 22.

If no one wants to offer something like that, that forces an offer too good to refuse, then we keep it and draft best available inside mid.

He'll also be 28 by the time the season starts and realistically isn't going to get much better. I'd rather take a punt on an 18yo than hope Reid can put his best form on the table for a year or two while he's still peaking.

I wouldn't. I want to play finals next year, not in 3 years. I don't know if we will, but I want us to have us good a go at it as we can.

At the start of next year, TMac is 27, May, Gawn & Melksham are 28, Hibberd & Jetta 30.

I wouldn't. I want to play finals next year, not in 3 years. I don't know if we will, but I want us to have us good a go at it as we can.

At the start of next year, TMac is 27, May, Gawn & Melksham are 28, Hibberd & Jetta 30.
Reid is not the kind of player you bring into a 17th ranked side of you want to make finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You look at almost all premiership sides and dogs excluded they are all built with a core from a decade earlier mixed in with some trades.

I don't think the core of Gawn, Tmac, Melk, Hibberd, Jones, Jetta, Frost etc are good enough. Which means our real shot is when Lever Fritsch, Trac, Bray, Oliver etc reach 25-27.
We can probably go to the well with this list for 2 more years and see if it's good enough or else we will have to concentrate on strengthening that age group

DB you're such a **** tease, do you know the potential trade?

Na that’s all I’ve got, hearing “potential” doesn’t fill me with confidence. I reckon it’s to go with 3. For instance if WCE want to play ball we need their 14 back with whatever they give. Or GWS could give us 12, 18 & next years first for 3&22.

You look at almost all premiership sides and dogs excluded they are all built with a core from a decade earlier mixed in with some trades.

I don't think the core of Gawn, Tmac, Melk, Hibberd, Jones, Jetta, Frost etc are good enough. Which means our real shot is when Lever Fritsch, Trac, Bray, Oliver etc reach 25-27.
We can probably go to the well with this list for 2 more years and see if it's good enough or else we will have to concentrate on strengthening that age group

Agree with both of you.

We should be playing finals next year. Saying that I don't think we will be in solid premiership contention for another couple of years.

Can't disagree with that.

It's just a shame we don't have a 4 years younger Max Gawn to come through with that second group.

Gawn doesn't rely on extreme athleticism, I think he could probably play another 4-5 years. Do agree though our senior core is pretty average and barring a Dogs 2016 miracle run it isn't going to bring us a flag.

I think (and hope) you're right about Gawn. Rucks and KPF are two positions that can go on past 30 a lot of the time. It's just that usual gamble of whether injury strikes or they hold up really.

I think (and hope) you're right about Gawn. Rucks and KPF are two positions that can go on past 30 a lot of the time. It's just that usual gamble of whether injury strikes or they hold up really.
The other thing, ironically enough, is because he’s had two knee recos he’s got less miles on him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he went another 4-5 years.

And then we should have Bradtke primed - I rate the heck out of him as a talent, just that he’s a beanpole.

The other thing, ironically enough, is because he’s had two knee recos he’s got less miles on him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he went another 4-5 years.

And then we should have Bradtke primed - I rate the heck out of him as a talent, just that he’s a beanpole.
I feel the same about Weid, if he can add some size I think he will be a more effective forward.

Sandilands retired at 36, Goldy is 31 and just signed for three years. I reckon Gawn has 5 left in him.

Hibberd, Jones (form) and Jetta (injuries) are on their last legs, but TMac, Gawn, May and Melksham should be playing good footy for a while yet.

We
I feel the same about Weid, if he can add some size I think he will be a more effective forward.
He doesn't look like he's put much size on, but I remember sitting with near him at the end of the last game of 2017 and thought he was tiny. I think it was round 2 or 3 and he walked past and he looked like a tank. Then saw him again mid this year and bigger again. I reckon he's going to be built to go next year.

The only downside was talking to his grandfather, who went alright, about his thougts on him around anzac eve game 2018 and he said "his mum is tougher" which feels kind of fitting for him to be in a Melb jumper periodically.

So not that there’s anything really new in this, but my sister is currently on a flight with some of the boys.
Frost is gone, most likely North. Definitely won’t be at Melbourne though.
Tomlinson and Langdon are done, the players already know they are coming.
Max very keen to get Elliott in, as are the other boys on the flight, and as far as they know we are leading the pack.
No other news that our players are aware of.

So not that there’s anything really new in this, but my sister is currently on a flight with some of the boys.
Frost is gone, most likely North. Definitely won’t be at Melbourne though.
Tomlinson and Langdon are done, the players already know they are coming.
Max very keen to get Elliott in, as are the other boys on the flight, and as far as they know we are leading the pack.
No other news that our players are aware of.
I wonder what North could offer in return?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back