The 2022 Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
With the AFL season over, it's time to look back on the year and have a somewhat logical think about how it has gone.

So, I'd like to suggest the following be used as a template for our discussion.

1. Players that have performed above the level expected

2. Players that have demonstrated significant improvement

3. Players that have performed as expected

4. Players that have regressed

5. Players that are done and will be gone soon

6. Best team performances

7. Worst team performances

8. Coaching performance overall

9. Administration performance (Silvers, Olsen etc...)

10. Biggest issue for the club moving forwards

11. Did the club meet, fall short, or exceed your expectations for the year

12. What are your expectations for the club in 2023

Please copy and past these headings in to your response and then lets have at it!

Tex, Worrell, Dawson, McAdam, Rachele,

Berry, Fogarty, Soligio

Laird, O'Brien, Thilthorpe

Smith, Keys, Doedee, Butts, Jones, Schoenberg, Sholl, Mchenry, Milera

Rowe, Murphy, Davis, Frampton

Bulldogs in Ballarat, 1st showdown.

7. Worst team performances:

Last Showdown, GWS, Gold Coast.

Underperformed. Seems to continue to be beaten by what he knows. Not proactive enough on game day.

Meh, nothing inspiring. Need to get our new home base sorted, should be their priority.

10. Biggest issue for the club moving forwards:

Getting the fans back, our attendances have fallen off a cliff.

11. Did the club meet, fall short, or exceed your expectations for the year:

Expected 10 wins, fell short of expectations, not enough improvement in the young players. Not competitive enough against the top teams.

12. What are your expectations for the club in 2023:

10 Wins minimum, pushing the 8.

For me the club met expectations because I expected us to stagnate and come close to bottom 4 again.

To finish outside the bottom 4 but still well short of finals

Tex, Laird, Fog, Dawson

Berry, Soligo, Rachele, Hinge, RT, Worrell, Taylor, Parnell, Gollant

ROB, Murray, Keays, Chayce, Ned, Murphy, Smith, Berg, Butts, Strachan, Frampton, Sholl, Hately

Doedee, Schoenberg, Milera, Pedlar, McAsey, Rowe, Crouch, Cook

Davis, Crouch, Frampton

1st Showdown, Richmond, Bulldogs, Carlton, Eagles

GWS, 2nd Showdown

Showing more ability in 2nd half of year to be flexible with team structure and adapt on gameday, an improvement on 2021

Good with the camp situation, except for one board member…

Biggest needs are to get Rankine and draft another classy mid to compliment Soligo, Schoenberg, Laird etc. More KPD depth. Stemming momentum and restricting teams from piling on 4-6 goals in a row, killed us in many games even if we won the rest of the game outside of that period.

Met my expectations. Pushed a number of top 8 sides, were largely in the majority of games.

Pushing 10-12 wins and nudging the top 8, but won’t be shocked if we miss

My individual ratings (for our kids): Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

The only thing I'd change from that is Worrell would now in my good category and probably Hamill in trade bait, seeing I reckon we need to move on one of our defenders in that bottleneck.

Carlton at home. To bully a mid-table team like that was very promising.

Port Adelaide in round 22. Looked a team who got sucked into the showdown hype (and Port) and eventually just gave up working hard. A very bitter note to end the season. GWS round 7 is also a contender seeing that game was there for the taking.

Probably a B rating from me. Hard to be super critical as we didn't regress despite having a list primed too due to how young it is. We also showed a willingness to move away from senior players as the year went on with Crouch and Brown now on the outer.

Gets an A from me. This is probably the first year Adelaide hasn't undergone a fresh scandal in about a decade. Congratulations on passing over the lowest of low bars, but that's how little faith I have in Adelaide off-field.

Getting more talent into the club and getting older.

They repeated 2021, which met my expectations, seeing I suspected we over-performed in 2021.

Mid-table. Approximately 10 wins.

Last edited:
As far as rebuilding go, I think the season is on par with a positive trend. However, would this trend guarantee us becoming genuine contenders? Too hard to say still. The next couple of years will be crucial for us to draft and trade right, and making sure we can cover for the pending loss of the veterans in Tex/Sloane/Smith/Seeds/Crouch/Laird in 1-2 years time.

The big positives are that the forward line isn’t as dire as it seemed early during the year, with the breakout season for Fog. Rachele has shown he looks very comfortable up forward, and with the improvements in McAdam and RT.

The midfield isn’t too bad also, although we likely need 1-2 more bigger body mids to be more of a serious threat. Soligo and Berry are a definite positive. Schoenberg looks like he is lifting a gear and hopefully he can make bigger steps next year.

Worrell, Hamill, Murray and Hinge overall looks like they’re capable of being solid contributors down in defense.

Apart from a small number of big losses, most games we were mostly competitive and if we can turn some of the tight losses into wins, I think we could be somewhere around 10-12 wins for next year.

Fogarty, Murray, Berry, Soligo, Rachele, McAdam

Similar list to above plus the players who are developing at a good but not surprising rate: Thilthorpe, Worrell, Pedlar, Newchurch

Walker, Laird, Keays, Dawson, Himmelberg, Hamill

Regressed might be too strong a word, but a few players have definitely stagnated when you'd have wanted to see more improvement: Cook, Sholl, McHenry, Hately, Schoenberg, Jones

Actual regression: Doedee, Smith, Milera who have had below par seasons for their ability (only slightly for Smith IMO), and Brown and Crouch who I think are done.

Brown, Crouch, Rowe, Frampton, Davis, Borlase, McAsey, McPherson

Dogs win in Ballarat and Carlton win at home.

GWS pretty easily, followed by the second showdown.

About par. Squad is developing well and the players are definitely giving their all. None of the issues at other struggling clubs like West Coast, North, GWS and Essendon where players seem to not give a shit half the time. Tactically it's not always great but a bit hard to judge IMO as the squad is still developing and I think there's a plan there. Next year will need to show some improvements in the final product.

Don't care that much about admin personally.

It's easily the quality of ball use. We've got a lot of forward line quality and our competitiveness and contested ball work are good for the age profile of the group. What's not clear at all is if we have the ability to execute well when delivering the ball going forward. There are players in our squad who have the necessary ability like Dawson, Murphy, Taylor, Milera, Hinge, Hamill, Rachele and Soligo, but we will need these guys to have more of the ball on the outside next year to see some improvement in this area.

About a par result, marginal improvement over last year which isn't too bad given the state of the list, but not a huge success. One positive compared to last year is that we didn't fall off quite so hard at the end of the season, and did have some good post-bye wins.

Will need to see some improvement over this year, something like 10 wins would be a positive result, give or take depending on injuries.

- Worrell, Tex, Soligo, Rachele, Berry, McAdam, Parnell, Dawson, Hinge

- Berry, Rachele, Soligo, Worrell, Parnell, Fogarty

- ROB, Murphy, Keays, Laird (solidly consistent)

- Smithers, Doedee, Sloane, Crouch, Brown, Milera, Scholl, McPherson

- Crouch, Frampton, Davis, Rowe, Brown, McAsey

- Carlton and 1st Showdown

- Too many

- Meh

- Meh

- Too many poor ball users and below average kicks in the team

- 8 wins and outside the bottom 4 is only slightly above what I was expecting.

• somwhere between 7th and 13th (towards the latter is probably more expected)
  • improvement in our young players (Soligo, Rachele, Thilthorpe, Cook, Taylor, Pedlar, etc)
  • no more scandals (one can only hope)
  • another solid year from Tex and Fog

Overall the club gets a D

Not a lot of positives.

Nicks gets a D. Right now, the club would be regretting the decision to extend his contract.

Laird will be B&F, a real standout season in tough conditions.
Soligo is easily best 1st year player.
Dawson for B&F for mine…

Walker, Dawson, Fogarty (2nd half of the year), Soligo, Parnell, Rachele, Berry

Worrell, Berry, Fogarty, Parnell

Milera (I called him as being done 18 months ago), Laird, Thilthorpe, Hinge, Himmelberg (I didn't expect much), Murray, Hamill, Murphy, Jones (see Himmelberg)

ROB, Doedee, Crouch, Smith, Sholl, Schoenberg. Butts and Keays in the 2nd half of the season

Sloane, Brown, Seedsman :(, McPherson, Davis, Rowe, Frampton, McAsey, Turner

Second Carlton game

GWS, Gold Coast, Hawthorn games

Poor. They've come up with a gameplan to "make it hard to play against us" but unfortunately it also makes it hard to play for us, given our tendency to over use the handball and hack kick the ball forward. Selection continues to be a mess. Forward line is developing okay at least, despite the midfield being bad.

Uninspiring. The men's team is a joke, re-signing Nicks so early was a moronic decision, the camp issue won't go away, we've still got Roo embarrassing us publicly, and we're seemingly no closer to knowing where our new home base will be (more than a decade after we found out we were moving to AO). How long can they hide behind our AFLW team?

EDIT: upgraded to average following the Thebarton announcement.

The midfield. It's the worst in the league. Stop ignoring it at the draft FFS.

Fell short. I wanted a % in the 90's which we failed to achieve even with an easy draw.

Basically for us to bomb out, move on Nicks, Hamish, Sloane and a few others. Use the top three pick on a gun midfielder - either through the trade or draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird, McAdam, Murray,

Soligo, Dawson, Fog, Berry

Anyone not listed at 1, 2 or 4

Brown, Cook, M Crouch, Doedee, Keays, McHenry, Milera, Rowe, Schoenberg, Sloane, Smith

Brown, M Crouch, McPherson, Rowe, Turner (& Hamill & Seed sadly)

Richmond & Carlton (h) & first showdown

GWS, Suns, 2nd Showdown and first half of home game vs North Melbourne

C- - mainly due to selections, and an emphasis on tryers rather than footballers. Golden passes to players who are consistently inconsistent and neglecting promising and talented youth. When you have a reserves team performing and winning, and a first team that isn't, there should be more accountability to first team players.

D- - still homeless. Have a Liberal president and a state and federal election where no support was provided one of the biggest member organisations in South Australia and our generational community development. Still silent on North Adelaide which in a post covid world where money is tight, should definitely be put back on the agenda.

The camp stuff handled well by Silvers, but poorly by Olsen. Do the rest of the board exist? Nothing from those who were on the board at the time and still continue to get their passes to the Adelaide FC Social Club.

Explaining how we can be 3 years into a rebuild without one single midfield talent who is considered across the league to be a player of the future. Moving away from the good-little-battler approach and being a football team. Finalising the new HQ dramas in a way that makes all the fuss and delays worthwhile and not settling for second best because we ran out of times and options.

Fell short. Expected more players to develop and to have some genuine excitement around the group coming through. We have some kids who put their hands up, but thats not even near enough that we'll need that would make these last 3 years worthwhile.

If we had won that last showdown, I had a dream that at the presser Nicks would have declared "the rebuild is over" and that we're now aiming to play finals. The capitulation put an end to that idea, but I still expect if we are going to recruit Rankine then it means the club thinks its time to look towards finals, and thats then the expectation. If we don't and take pick 5 to the draft, then we are still in the rebuild which is fine.

Expectations are more in line with player development. Fog in top 5 goals for the league. Thilthorpe in the 23 u23 side. Pedlar to become a permanent fixture. Rachele to shake off the first year nerves that started to creep in. Schoenberg to forget his 2022 and develop on the trajectory he ended 2021 on. And the club to work out what the hell it intends to do with McAsey.

4 wins against the 2 worst sides of the last decade has wallpapered over some enormous cracks. We regressed despite what some of the happy clappers have to say. Just fix the bloody midfield, don’t give up Pick 5 for a Forward Pocket. Spend actual high end draft capital on the most important position on the ground.

Laird, Walker, Fogarty, McAdam, Soligo, Murray, Berry

Berry, Fogarty, Worrell, McAdam

Dawson, Thilthorpe, Hinge, Himmelberg, Hamill, Hately, Rachele, Frampton

4. Players that have regressed (edit: or stagnated)
Schoenberg, McHenry, Butts, Crouch, Keays, Milera, Smith, Sloane, Brown, Jones, Cook

Brown, Crouch, Rowe, Moose, Seed sadly, Frampton, Davis

R20 vs Carlton
R5 vs Richmond
R3 vs Port

R7 vs GWS
R23 vs Port
R17 vs Hawthorn

Uninspiring. Still hate the idea of giving a developing side a defensive gameplan, with no real license to consistently use offensive weapons. Selection at times has been a bit all over the place, with very random shuffling (eg Crouch in vs Hawks). Think we need a ball movement and/or skills coach. Midfield structure overall poor, defensive structure baffling at times. Happy with the work done on the forward line

Eh. Camp issue was handled well by Silvers, but Roo’s comments in the media as someone directly connected to the club continue to paint us in an undesirable light. The Nicks re-signing could still come back to bite us, but I’ll give a little benefit of the doubt here. Don’t really care about anything else

Finding and developing A+ grade talent across the ground

Slightly fell short. Our record turned out to be kind of what I expected, but a lot of stagnant development amongst our youth is obvious cause for concern

I honestly have no clue, from an overall performance perspective. Depending on our youth’s development curve and our draw, we could go any which way - improve a good amount, be stagnant once again, or regress. That’s the volatility that comes with trying to build your club up from a ground zero rebuild

Individually, I’d hope to see Fog, RT, Schoenberg, Rachele, Soligo, Taylor, Butts, Murray, Worrell, Berry and (if he comes) Rankine continuing to build - can’t afford to have half of these players either regress or stagnate. Three or four players in 22U22 squad would be a good achievement, with a couple in the 22

Oh, and Dawson for captain

Fogarty, Soligo, Berry, Hinge, Parnell

Fogarty, Berry, McAdam, Murray

Keays, Murphy, Hately, Hamill, Laird, Himmelberg, Jones, McHenry

Brown, Schoenberg, Smith, Sholl, Doedee, O'Brien

Crouch, Seedsman, Brown, Rowe, Sloane, McPherson, Turner (*DISCLAIMER: This is the Crows, so "done" and "will be gone soon" may not be remotely the same thing).

Port (first time), Richmond

GWS, Port (second time)

Meh

Meh

The list. Gradually improving, but still gaping holes in the midfield, defence and ruck.

I guess I have to say met. I expected improvement, and I suppose I got it but by the barest margin possible. 1 more win, percentage 89.8 (up from 82), "climbed" from 15th to 14th. Hard to say if that's actual improvement or just a slight variation within the margin of error from last year.

Depends what you mean by "expectations". My expectations are improvement again, but SIGNIFICANT improvement. No more playing the "rebuilding" card. I don't necessarily expect finals, but need to set our sights on at least 10 wins and corresponding improvement in percentage (100+). What I actually EXPECT is more of the same.

Right now its all still fresh, but in the long run I think 2022 will simply be remembered as the year FOG turned his career around!

Oh, and the year Carlton missed the finals after going 8-2....

Fogarty, Berry and Soligo

Berry and Fogarty

Most of the team really

Schoenberg, really disappointed with his season. He started to show something late in the season against North Melbourne though.

We need an average player cleanout.

The bulldogs game was a great team performance, we were fantastic vs Collingwood, Carlton and 3 quarters against sydney.

Hawthorn game, 2nd Showdown, the Carlton away game, Collingwood at the G, Patches of just about every game we played (last 5mins vs Gold Coast)

7/10 for Nicks, he gets them working so hard each week but its now time to work smarter and be far more aggressive, take on the corridor, use some dare (yes I know Butts and Murray one out is a scary proposition but we get stuck on 4/5 goals at half time far too often). Walker on the lead, Fogarty and Thilthorpe one out with Rachele hunting at ground level needs to be provided to by an attacking game plan.

Fine, were a financially stable club

F50 entries and our team defence is awful, when its going bad we get desperate and crowd the ball so outside teams rip us to shreds.

Met expectations. We lost Sloane and Seedsman from last year (as well as Lynch who was a gun in the last half). Sloanes leadership was missed on field. Our core experienced group is pretty average but we managed to win 8 games.

Laird, Smith, Walker, Sloane and Seedsman are our core veterans with 100+ games. Keays and ROB make up the rest.
At the moment only 2 are walk up starts in any other team (Laird and Walker).
Smith hasn't been the same since his knee and partially why we struggle, our experienced players just aren't elite and barely A grade. I dont know how Laird can get it out of the midfield running toward goal and manage to hit the opposition on the chest every single time.

About 7-10 wins, with a percentage 90+. I would like us still in the hunt for finals at round 18 with a 7-10 record or thereabouts but that is probably wishful thinking.

Taylor, Pedlar, Soligo and Berry to be in the midfield at centre bounces.
Fogarty to kick 45+ goals.
Newchurch to maybe play a game or two.

We are building a potent forward line, but these issues remain..

Need to stack the half forward mid and halfback lines with players who can execute kicks under pressure.
Rob is not our first ruck going forward.
Midfield remains a big problem.
Coming up with a better kick in plan than kicking it to the back flank where the talls are.
Keeping players that aren't AFL standard and giving them games.

Serious suggestion. Can we please hire the confidence expert who has been working with Thilthorpe and Fogarty full time for the rest of the squad.
An even more serious suggestion is the "mind coach" used by Ash Barty. Ben Crowe is an outstanding communicator and brilliantly impressive to listen to. 100% the best I've listened to. (I've heard quite a few).

There are a lot of positives to take away from this season, even if we didn't make the finals - and let's face it, nobody in their right mind expected us to make the finals this year.

Arguably the biggest positive this year were the changes we started to see in the midfield. We started the year with Crouch/Keays/Laird/Sloane as permanent fixtures. By the end of the year, Crouch was in the magoos, Sloane was injured, and Keays had been moved out of the guts - replaced by Berry, Soligo and Schoenberg. We've seen Generation Next take over in defence and the forward line, but 2022 was the year where it finally started to happen in the midfield as well. Don't get me wrong - the midfield is still our biggest weakness, but the 2022 was the year we finally started to move forward in this area.

Fogarty's emergence, in the 2nd half of the year, was a massive positive. It was plain to all and sundry that he needed to address his fitness and work rate - and Burgess no doubt played a large part in fixing these problems. He also sought help from outside the club to improve his mental strength and confidence. The results were nothing short of stunning. We've always known that he had talent & potential, but his first 4 years were full of frustration and disappointment - 2022 was the year he finally broke out, and revealed his full capabilities.

We won 8 games in 2022, 1 more than we did in 2021, despite fielding teams that were consistently younger and less experienced than their 2021 equivalents. To be fair, this was largely the result of an easier draw - 4 of those wins were against North & the Weagles, who won only 2 games for the year between them. We also won a few excellent games - most notably the first Showdown, the Bulldogs in Ballarat, and Carlton. We won away games in Tasmania, Ballarat and Perth - and that can only be seen as a positive!

Some of our younger players regressed, and that's not unexpected. We've recruited a lot of youngsters over the last few years, and now we're into the winnowing process - figuring out who will, and won't, make it. Others will make it, but have had a down year (e.g. Butts), once again this is to be expected when playing youngsters.

We came into 2022 with only 7x 100+ game players - fewer than any other club. We lost Seedsman to injury before the season even began, and Sloane shortly after the season began. Crouch & Brown were both dropped, and finished the year in the SANFL. That left just Laird, Walker & Smith as 100+ game players in our senior team. For a team to win 8 games, with so few experienced players, is arguably over-performing.

We still have some massive holes in our list - ROB is not, and probably never will be, a genuine A-grade ruckman; we still lack a truly elite midfielder; we're short on developing talls at both ends of the ground (particularly once Frampton is off the list). There are still areas that need fixing, but a lot of our weaknesses will slowly disappear as our youngsters mature and continue to develop. We're far from a finished product, but by the end of the year we were starting to see what the finished product might look like.

There are a lot of positives to take away from this season, even if we didn't make the finals - and let's face it, nobody in their right mind expected us to make the finals this year.

Arguably the biggest positive this year were the changes we started to see in the midfield. We started the year with Crouch/Keays/Laird/Sloane as permanent fixtures. By the end of the year, Crouch was in the magoos, Sloane was injured, and Keays had been moved out of the guts - replaced by Berry, Soligo and Schoenberg. We've seen Generation Next take over in defence and the forward line, but 2022 was the year where it finally started to happen in the midfield as well. Don't get me wrong - the midfield is still our biggest weakness, but the 2022 was the year we finally started to move forward in this area.

Fogarty's emergence, in the 2nd half of the year, was a massive positive. It was plain to all and sundry that he needed to address his fitness and work rate - and Burgess no doubt played a large part in fixing these problems. He also sought help from outside the club to improve his mental strength and confidence. The results were nothing short of stunning. We've always known that he had talent & potential, but his first 4 years were full of frustration and disappointment - 2022 was the year he finally broke out, and revealed his full capabilities.

We won 8 games in 2022, 1 more than we did in 2021, despite fielding teams that were consistently younger and less experienced than their 2021 equivalents. To be fair, this was largely the result of an easier draw - 4 of those wins were against North & the Weagles, who won only 2 games for the year between them. We also won a few excellent games - most notably the first Showdown, the Bulldogs in Ballarat, and Carlton. We won away games in Tasmania, Ballarat and Perth - and that can only be seen as a positive!

Some of our younger players regressed, and that's not unexpected. We've recruited a lot of youngsters over the last few years, and now we're into the winnowing process - figuring out who will, and won't, make it. Others will make it, but have had a down year (e.g. Butts), once again this is to be expected when playing youngsters.

We came into 2022 with only 7x 100+ game players - fewer than any other club. We lost Seedsman to injury before the season even began, and Sloane shortly after the season began. Crouch & Brown were both dropped, and finished the year in the SANFL. That left just Laird, Walker & Smith as 100+ game players in our senior team. For a team to win 8 games, with so few experienced players, is arguably over-performing.

We still have some massive holes in our list - ROB is not, and probably never will be, a genuine A-grade ruckman; we still lack a truly elite midfielder; we're short on developing talls at both ends of the ground (particularly once Frampton is off the list). There are still areas that need fixing, but a lot of our weaknesses will slowly disappear as our youngsters mature and continue to develop. We're far from a finished product, but by the end of the year we were starting to see what the finished product might look like.
I tip my hat to you sir.

Possibly the most articulate, accurate and considered post ever on BigFooty.

Sets a high standard to the rest of us.

Well, well, well… a full paragraph on the brilliance of the fog..

He’s finally come around!.. I tip my hat to you Darth..

But its your second paragraph that rings true the most and was the most important change.. Keays/sloane/laird/crouch midfield. What a steaming heap of horseshit that was for the first half of the year!

It took them long enough but they finally changed it and the results were immediate and immense.

Instantly we looked better.. we still lost a lot of contests in the middle but that was to be expected due to the young group in there with Lairdy the only senior.. but when we won the contests we used it a thousand times better and looked a shitload more damaging.

In the North game in the first half they went back to putting Keays in the centre again and, hey presto!, it was back to being shite again..

Hopefully they have finally seen the light.. and R1 next season they continue with Laird and the youth. It was also amazing just how much better Laird looked without The keays and crouch weights on his shoilders in the middle!

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2022 Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back