Roast Sooo... about that review

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t shake the perception that we are just a dumb football club ran by dumb people. The likes of Riccuito, Kelly, Ogilvie and Nicks all strike me as quite unintelligent individuals to be running a football club. I mean even our infield ‘leaders’ like Walker, Fogarty, etc aren’t exactly the Luke Hodge or Scott Pendlebury of the world. Has any club made as many dumb decision we have in recent years? Camp, Tippett, poor coaching hires (inc assistants), extended leadership group, etc.

The thing is, every time we have had a shake-up in our history, the club has returned to "norm" not long after.

• Malcolm came in, swept out the deadwood and won two flags. Within a decade, we were talking about making our coach a staff member.
  • Phil came in, started talking standards and honesty. Within three years of his passing, we have the bullshit of Burton, Collective Minds and the Camp.
  • Club gets dragged to a review, and within 5 years we are STILL playing the same old pricks that tanked our last flag chance, and a coach who has been handed the keys... for no good reason.

Despite all Port's stuff ups and a 10 year coach who cant coach, are we seeing the gradual return to the status quo in SA Footy? Port as the only genuine football club in this state? There is something about our club. Its a stink. It's in every membrane of that place down at West Lakes. Does the club reflect the State's psyche? The old boys club of football and cricket in this state? What will be the impetus for change?

Trying to find twitter handles and came across this for Olsen

Term expires March 2024

Today is the 31st - have I missed a reappointment announcement or am I on an old page?

I see that. Makes you wonder if there was any link to Nicks out of the blue re-signing. Get a feel good story in and was hoping for some wins to lead into his reappointment. This is what happens when you get a politician involved. Everything is PR first.

I see that. Makes you wonder if there was any link to Nicks out of the blue re-signing. Get a feel good story in and was hoping for some wins to lead into his reappointment. This is what happens when you get a politician involved. Everything is PR first.
That was the question I wanted to ask

When was Matthew Nicks signing actually done?

That was the question I wanted to ask

When was Matthew Nicks signing actually done?

It hadn't been done until after February, the club hinted talks were happening but it appears it officially happened between our trial game and round 1. I think they were trying to get a feel good PR stunt happening for our first home game and it backfired spectacularly.

The thing is, every time we have had a shake-up in our history, the club has returned to "norm" not long after.

• Malcolm came in, swept out the deadwood and won two flags. Within a decade, we were talking about making our coach a staff member.
  • Phil came in, started talking standards and honesty. Within three years of his passing, we have the bullshit of Burton, Collective Minds and the Camp.
  • Club gets dragged to a review, and within 5 years we are STILL playing the same old pricks that tanked our last flag chance, and a coach who has been handed the keys... for no good reason.

Despite all Port's stuff ups and a 10 year coach who cant coach, are we seeing the gradual return to the status quo in SA Footy? Port as the only genuine football club in this state? There is something about our club. Its a stink. It's in every membrane of that place down at West Lakes. Does the club reflect the State's psyche? The old boys club of football and cricket in this state? What will be the impetus for change?
The AFC is a microcosm of Adelaide itself.
Insular and scared of real change.

A reason why we were overtaken by Brisbane, Perth and soon Gold Coast in size and National prominence.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A reason why we were overtaken by Brisbane, Perth and soon Gold Coast in size and National prominence.

One way freeways, RAH, Adelaide Oval, tram to Entertainment Centre. It never ends which is interesting given politically we follow predominantly progressive political parties. The problem is the conservatives are the ones in the seats of power in business etc (not politically tho).

We were once the third largest city up until the late 50’s when Brisbane overtook us and then Perth overtook us in 1984.

And remember one of the first questioned asked, which school did you go to?

The business is to make money. The people are delivering.

The just not true. We're shithouse at making money as well.

We should be absolutely dominating in SA, and we don't. We should demand the same deals as West Coast's, and we should be equally profitable, but we're not.

We can't even get a building started. We're an absolute mediocre business, because no one is running it as if there's anything at stake.

This is the real problem.

Adelaide should be the third major city in Australia.

Soon, it will struggle to be sixth.

The city doesn't have the fierce ambition to improve. It somehow thinks it's already good enough, and it doesn't want or need to change.

We won't ever be good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the real problem.

Adelaide should be the third major city in Australia.

Soon, it will struggle to be sixth.

The city doesn't have the fierce ambition to improve. It somehow thinks it's already good enough, and it doesn't want or need to change.

We won't ever be good enough.
Why should it be the 3rd major?

It's all very frustrating, but I think us Crows fans can be entitled at times. Bigger clubs than us, Essendon, Carlton haven't seen success in years. Whilst not bigger than us, Saints, Bulldogs, Fremantle (barring a dream run in 2016) have been mediocre for their entire history. We've bottomed out once in our history, and played in a Grand Final 6.5 half years ago. West Coast, who are a much bigger club than us, have bottomed out worse than we ever did. Sydney, Geelong are outliers in terms of longterm success without bottoming out, but even they have had years where they underperformed (with better talent than us)

We have been steady in improvement since the wooden spoon, and we were always due a season where our form took a dip. Not many rebuilds are linear. I feel like some of our form last year was misleading. Tex was never going to back up last seasons form, Murray being out doesn't help, and there are too many boys out of form. Pedlar, Rachele, Rankine, Jones, Fog were all players we'd hope would take the next step, but if anything they've gone backwards. Rahilly left a massive hole in how our forwards operate, and Thilthorpe doesn't help our structure.

If it doesn't turn, we have to nail this draft similarly to when Melbourne dropped off and drafted Jackson and Pickett. Melbourne's rebuild was SLOW and now they are reaping the benefits and will always be competitive whilst they have Oliver, Petracca etc. I think we've missed on too many of our picks. Jones and McHenry (when Port got Butters and Rozee), Cook, Schoenberg, Fish just haven't panned out. However, I was in Noarlunga to watch the 2s and we still have plenty of promise coming through. Whilst I'd like to see them blooded, we cant rush players like when we threw Fish to the wolves.

I think the thing that I have always felt like sets us apart from Port fans is our loyalty, and not jumping off when things are tough. We play a pretty important role in ensuring we are the biggest club in SA, I'd hate to think that an SA boy would look at the prospect of playing a port home game more enticing than a Crows home game. Stick fat, because when it does turn it'll feel even more rewarding. We've seen how quick it can turn as well.

Why should it be the 3rd major?
Because there are a lot of favourable conditions for it to be so:

Moderate climate
Safe central geographic location
Plenty of space
Great beaches
Central timezone
Amazing natural tourist destinations

Like any business, a city that doesnt grow goes backwards. We are an ageing city with a stagnant population. There's already barely enough revenue to maintain current infrastructure, let alone innovate. It's only going to get worse and GST drip feed from the Federal Govt will only go so far. We have idiots quibbling about things like a few trees, a car race and a festival that brings in so much tourism. The Fleurieu is ripe for growth and development, both residential and tourism. But why would anyone want to invest here, when there are so many roadblocks?

There is so much potential here, and we have a far better canvas than Melbourne and Brisbane, and arguably Perth. In 20 years time, if we don't do something, this place will be a regional retirement village.

Moderate climate
Plenty of space
Great beaches
Central timezone

Like any business, a city that doesnt grow goes backwards. We are an ageing city with a stagnant population. There's already barely enough revenue to maintain current infrastructure, let alone innovate. It's only going to get worse and GST drip feed from the Federal Govt will only go so far. We have idiots quibbling about things like a few trees, a car race and a festival that brings in so much tourism. The Fleurieu is ripe for growth and development, both residential and tourism. But why would anyone want to invest here, when there are so many roadblocks?

There is so much potential here, and we have a far better canvas than Melbourne and Brisbane, and arguably Perth. In 20 years time, if we don't do something, this place will be a regional retirement village.
Kerry Stokes owns 3/4 of the Fleurieu

Moderate climate
Plenty of space
Great beaches
Central timezone

Zero opportunities for good jobs for young pepr as well, one of the reasons I left Adelaide and moved back to Melbourne. Just can't see myself living there again which is a shame to say for the place I was born in.

Zero opportunities for good jobs for young pepr as well, one of the reasons I left Adelaide and moved back to Melbourne. Just can't see myself living there again which is a shame to say for the place I was born in.
I used to say I'd move back to Adelaide. Now I'm at the wrong end of 40 and realistically it's never going to happen. There's just not the opportunities there.

Moderate climate
Plenty of space
Great beaches
Central timezone
I’m as SA biased at anyone but you can easily counter with:
Climate: can be damn hot here as well as the driest state.
Plenty of space - because it’s small, the other states had plenty of space before population growth too.
Great beaches in every other state as well
Central time zone - does it really matter when it’s such a little difference (other than Perth, but that’s a negative for them)
Tourists destinations- plenty in every other state as well.

We definitely have issues growing because of our population but that’s always going to be the same, just like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
We have protests to things being built but I feel like that would happen in most states.
The main thing going for us would be house prices.

I’m as SA biased at anyone but you can easily counter with:
Climate: can be damn hot here as well as the driest state.
Plenty of space - because it’s small, the other states had plenty of space before population growth too.
Great beaches in every other state as well
Central time zone - does it really matter when it’s such a little difference (other than Perth, but that’s a negative for them)
Tourists destinations- plenty in every other state as well.

We definitely have issues growing because of our population but that’s always going to be the same, just like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
We have protests to things being built but I feel like that would happen in most states.
The main thing going for us would be house prices.
Yes, but in saying "so do the other states", you're illustrating that there is no inhibitor for growth here either. If the other states grew, so can we. The bottleneck is hokey small mindedness and a lack of vision, we don't have any other impediment for growth.

I can’t shake the perception that we are just a dumb football club ran by dumb people. The likes of Riccuito, Kelly, Ogilvie and Nicks all strike me as quite unintelligent individuals to be running a football club. I mean even our infield ‘leaders’ like Walker, Fogarty, etc aren’t exactly the Luke Hodge or Scott Pendlebury of the world. Has any club made as many dumb decision we have in recent years? Camp, Tippett, poor coaching hires (inc assistants), extended leadership group, etc.

Have you seen our players? 90% of them aren't just on the spectrum, they are the spectrum.

Now I know we all would like Roo to step away but it just isn't going to happen and why?

Because of the following -

Premiership player
Brownlow medallist
Club captain 7 years
8 times All-Australian
2 times All-Australian captain
High profile on Triple M

Good luck with him stepping down or taking him on. You need to have a bloody good profile and be prepared for one massive fight.

Yes, but in saying "so do the other states", you're illustrating that there is no inhibitor for growth here either. If the other states grew, so can we. The bottleneck is hokey small mindedness and a lack of vision, we don't have any other impediment for growth.
Mildura , the city juat across the Border in Victoria has a population of over 100k

Why cant we get any regional citities in SA above that.

I don't mind Mildura, but there is nothing about it better than Mount Gambier, the Riverland or even Port Lincoln, towns which we cant get to grow as significantly.

Its 100% a mindset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Sooo... about that review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back