The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Should Australia have a second Division to the A-League?

• Yes

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideal second divvy for me would be"

Adelaide City
Southern Cross FC
Melbourne Knights
Preston City FC
Wollongong Wolves
Sydney Utd
Leichardt FC
Sydney Olympic FC
Marconi Fairfield
Hobart FC
Sunshine Coast FC
Gold Coast Knights FC

Commencing March 2025, 22 round season + FFA Cup. Must be fully professional, promotion / relegation to begin Season 2027 (not sure how relegation works with Wellington Phoenix).

Min 5000 seating capacity + min 2000 standing + corporate facilities required at all venues plus broadcast ready.

2 more to be selected from the next nround.

Surely one Adelaide club and one QLD based club.
It could be 4 in the next round. I think they need Melbourne Knights and one from Tasmania too, in addition to one from Adelaide and one from Queensland. But it comes down to money. Each club has to raise $500K.

Melbourne Knights not getting in as one of the inaugural clubs is the biggest surprise for me.

I assume no need for Canberra United as they will go straight to a-league with new Auckland franchise.

How will this become fully professional from the getgo?

Last thing we need is another version of NPL but on a national basis as that will be unsustainable.
I dont think the plan is to be professional from the start. From what I've read it's a very considered approach with everything.

Even selecting a base 8 teams and setting upto 4 additional teams is evidence of that.

It could be 4 in the next round. I think they need Melbourne Knights and one from Tasmania too, in addition to one from Adelaide and one from Queensland. But it comes down to money. Each club has to raise $500K.

Melbourne Knights not getting in as one of the inaugural clubs is the biggest surprise for me.

I assume no need for Canberra United as they will go straight to a-league with new Auckland franchise.

14 in A League and 12 in A League 2 should be it for a long, long time until everyone becomes fully established.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna be expensive for these clubs initially. To keep costs down they could limit matchday squads to 16 (2 keepers and 14 outfield players). Then you have a manager, assistant manager, club physio / doctor. Someone to arrange logistics & kit. So an away trip to QLD from Melbourne would see a party of around 25 travelling. Return airfares of $600 ea for 25 squad members = 15k in costs just for away games. Exxy without fully professional status, tv rights deals etc.

Ideal second divvy for me would be"

Adelaide City
Southern Cross FC
Melbourne Knights
Preston City FC
Wollongong Wolves
Sydney Utd
Leichardt FC
Sydney Olympic FC
Marconi Fairfield
Hobart FC
Sunshine Coast FC
Gold Coast Knights FC

Commencing March 2025, 22 round season + FFA Cup. Must be fully professional, promotion / relegation to begin Season 2027 (not sure how relegation works with Wellington Phoenix).

Min 5000 seating capacity + min 2000 standing + corporate facilities required at all venues plus broadcast ready.

No hellas wtf

We’re back. 😎

lion GIF by BBC America

Wog teams won the long game
The veeeeery, very long game.

Not thrilled with Sydney United being in there, but if they didn't have any off-field issues, you'd 100% say they deserve to be in. Football Australia need to address the inevitable questions that will come to them, and what will be done if there are more issues.

What's wrong with it?

You didn't notice that the "National" Second Division is made up of teams from 2 states?

It's a joke, they could've done an NPL Premier like this years ago if the clubs had've realised they'd get shafted this badly. This isn't what they were promised.

You didn't notice that the "National" Second Division is made up of teams from 2 states?

It's a joke, they could've done an NPL Premier like this years ago if the clubs had've realised they'd get shafted this badly. This isn't what they were promised.

Well yeah. It's rubbish but at least after 20 years it's a starting point.

But I generally agree with you

At the end of the day it was up to the EOI applicants to come to the party.

I’m certain the league would’ve preferred more regional clubs or ones that were spread amongst other states.
However if their bids didn’t appear viable or there was some concerns about how stable these clubs were I back the outcome where the old NSL clubs with larger backing have come to the party.

It’s a solid core with fan bases who have the foundations to build this into something decent.
It’s now up to others to raise the capital and the league can expand accordingly.

Firstly, this is just the initial eight clubs being announced, more will be joining before kickoff.

The issues lie greatly with state federations. Queensland are being areseholes and threatening the clubs with relegation to the bottom of the pyramid. WA only had one club who were never a chance. Same with Northern NSW. SA was completely disorganised. The Tassie club apparently has to deal with NIMBYs. That only leaves the ACT, whose bids either weren't good enough or might be joining later after the Canberra A-League club gets up.

It's just a starting point.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Back