The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Should Australia have a second Division to the A-League?

• Yes

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder the reason behind cutting each 6 sides. I wonder if it's market and venue related.

Apparently there is a significant deposit required as part of this next round which will see a number of mergers and drop outs.

Anyone know how long this process will take? If the FFA want mergers I'd say that's a big commitment for any of the clubs to consider undertaking especially with the risk of not knowing how the 2nd division will be received or how economically viable it will become. I find it really hard for any club to go down that venture without any financial guarantees.
They want this league to be up and running by 2024/25 yeah? Then they better get a move on because their wouldn't be much time for the clubs that get approved to prepare if they want to make that deadline.

Anyone know how long this process will take? If the FFA want mergers I'd say that's a big commitment for any of the clubs to consider undertaking especially with the risk of not knowing how the 2nd division will be received or how economically viable it will become. I find it really hard for any club to go down that venture without any financial guarantees.
They want this league to be up and running by 2024/25 yeah? Then they better get a move on because their wouldn't be much time for the clubs that get approved to prepare if they want to make that deadline.

I think the EOI is stated to be completed by September. Kick-off in March '24. I think there are three joint bids... I'm not sure if you'd call them "mergers" though. Football SA and Brisbane United looks more like pooling resources, but would probably still retain their individual clubs below. Western Sydney Wanderers started a club from scratch, three months later they were playing at the top level in Australia. Nothing is impossible if you have the right people.

I think the EOI is stated to be completed by September. Kick-off in March '24. I think there are three joint bids... I'm not sure if you'd call them "mergers" though. Football SA and Brisbane United looks more like pooling resources, but would probably still retain their individual clubs below. Western Sydney Wanderers started a club from scratch, three months later they were playing at the top level in Australia. Nothing is impossible if you have the right people.
Brisbane United is definitely pooling resources and would keep there own teams in the npl.

I can see some teams coming together at this stage, if ffa would want/allow that is a different question. At a minimum level only 10 clubs would be cut from the current list, realistically its easy to see qld, nsw and vic having a lower number in a nsd comp (would you place 2 teams on the Gold coast). Act, SA have 2 currently, but that could move to 1 each; and do they do a tassie side?

March 24 that soon wow OK.

Yeah but that was all federal money remember. like I said I can’t see any “mergers” unless their is some sort of financial guarantee from the governing bodies whether state, national or both.

Brisbane United is definitely pooling resources and would keep there own teams in the npl.

I can see some teams coming together at this stage, if ffa would want/allow that is a different question. At a minimum level only 10 clubs would be cut from the current list, realistically its easy to see qld, nsw and vic having a lower number in a nsd comp (would you place 2 teams on the Gold coast). Act, SA have 2 currently, but that could move to 1 each; and do they do a tassie side?
I think you'll find one of those Gold Coast teams will be a part of the next bout of A-League expansion in 2025 and the other will end up in the NSD. Most likely GCU returns to the A-League and GCK enters the NSD.

Updated:

Australian Capital Territory
Canberra Croatia FC
Gungahlin United FC

NSW
APIA Leichhardt FC
Fraser Park FC
Marconi Stallions FC
Rockdale Ilinden FC
Sydney Olympic FC
Sydney United 58 FC
Sutherland Sharks FC / Cronulla Sharks (NRL)
Wollongong Wolves FC

Queensland
Brisbane City FC
Brisbane United FC (Wynnum Wolves FC, Brisbane Strikers FC, Virginia United FC)
Gold Coast Knights F.C.
Gold Coast United FC
Olympic FC
Sunshine Coast FC

South Australia
Adelaide City FC
Football South Australia (Campbelltown City / North Eastern MetroStars / West Torrens Birkalla / West Adelaide)

Tasmania
South Hobart FC

Victoria
Avondale FC
Brunswick Juventus FC
Green Gully SC
Heidelberg United FC
Melbourne Knights FC
Preston Lions FC
South Melbourne FC

OUT:
Valentine FC (NNSW), Bentleigh Greens (VIC), Peninsula Power (QLD), Playford City (SA), Cockburn City/Spearwood Dalmatinac (WA), Blacktown City (NSW)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how many will actually submit and the locations they are in. Obviously if you only get 3 in syd or melb they should all be getting in.
Brisbane/qld will be the most interesting imo

I wonder how many will actually submit and the locations they are in. Obviously if you only get 3 in syd or melb they should all be getting in.
Brisbane/qld will be the most interesting imo
2 in Brisbane and 1 on the Gold Coast makes sense for Queensland. Particularly given the expected population growth over the next 10 years.

Football Australia updates on the National Second Tier process​

Football Australia is pleased to announce the conclusion of phase two, the Request for Proposal (RFP) phase of the National Second Tier (NST) Application Process.​

The RFP phase, crucial for laying the groundwork for the upcoming NST, has resulted in submissions being received by the deadline on Monday 28 August 2023. Given the confidential nature of the RFP process, Football Australia will not disclose the clubs that have made submissions, nor comment on their submissions’ compliance or completeness at this time.

“We’ve taken significant strides towards establishing a robust framework for the National Second Tier. The response and the submissions received are testament to the passion and commitment of the football community to this pivotal initiative,” said James Johnson, CEO of Football Australia.

With the RFP process now finalised, the Assessment and Review Phase has now commenced. Each submitted proposal will undergo a rigorous evaluation to ensure its completeness and alignment with the set criteria and requirements. Should sufficient proposals be deemed suitable, this phase will be succeeded by the Completion phase, marking the end of the selection process.

Ensuring transparency and accuracy in these crucial steps, Football Australia has appointed BDO, globally recognised accounting and advisory experts, as an independent third party to provide their assistance to the process.

Johnson further added, “Every decision we make during this process aims to guarantee that the National Second Tier is holistic, competitive, and adds immense value to Australian football. Collaborating with BDO assures our stakeholders of the process's integrity and fairness.”

Football Australia continues to target a 2024 launch of the NST, aiming to feature a minimum of 10 teams that will compete in a home and away league structure with finals. However, Football Australia may also explore a phased 'group based’ model, where the National Premier Leagues would influence the composition, adopting the ‘Champions League’ model.

Concluding his statement, Johnson remarked, “As we advance, our commitment is to the future of Australian football. Whether we finalise on the conventional league structure or adopt the 'Champions League' model, our vision remains clear – to elevate the stature of football in Australia.”

For more information on the NST Application Process, please visit HERE.

Eight clubs confirm National Second Tier bids as Football Australia issues update​

Football Australia (FA) has announced the Assessment and Review Phase for the proposed National Second Tier (NST) has commenced, with a handful of clubs confirming their bids.

The Request for Proposal (RFP) phase concluded with the target of a 2024 launch, though the FA did not disclose which clubs had made submissions after 26 teams had been shortlisted for the RFP.

Six teams have since announced their bids – at time of writing – including three from Victoria and two from New South Wales: NPLM VIC premiers Avondale FC, NPLM NSW premiers APIA Leichhardt, South Melbourne and Preston Lions, as well as Sydney Olympic and Sydney United.

With a March kick-off previously stated among 10-16 teams, the next phase will see each submitted proposal undergo a rigorous evaluation to ensure its completeness and alignment with the set criteria and requirements with help from accounting and advisory experts BDO as an independent third party to assist.

Should those proposals be suitable, the FA will progress to the Completion Phase, which marks the end of the selection process.

“We’ve taken significant strides towards establishing a robust framework for the National Second Tier. The response and the submissions received are testament to the passion and commitment of the football community to this pivotal initiative,” said FA CEO James Johnson.

“Every decision we make during this process aims to guarantee that the National Second Tier is holistic, competitive, and adds immense value to Australian football. Collaborating with BDO assures our stakeholders of the process’s integrity and fairness.”
He added: “As we advance, our commitment is to the future of Australian football. Whether we finalise on the conventional league structure or adopt the ‘Champions League’ model, our vision remains clear – to elevate the stature of football in Australia.”

Football Australia continues to aim for a league of at least 10 teams across a home-and-away structure with finals. However, a ‘group based’ model mirroring the National Premier Leagues is being considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Back