The AFC 'Boys Club' Will it Ultimately Destroy the AFC???

Remove this Banner Ad

maccas_no1

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Mar 3, 2002
Whincup's Garage
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, MUFC, Triple 8
This needs to be discussed as it is blantly clear it exists................when was the last time the AFC or any of its hierachy admitted they made a mistake????

Mattner trade and Massie on Franklin are the two peices of evidence I would like to look at.

Mattner Trade Played out of position for a long time maybe due to injuries who knows, loses confidence in himself ultimately gets dropped for 'not performing' and now has been traded. Mattner is a hard running break the lines type player and when played on the wing was a dangerous and a key to success at the AFC. The AFC instead of saying 'well okay perhaps we have played Mattner out of position in 2008 we will play him back on the wing, get his confidence back, the 'boys club' said nope we are right Mattner isnt what we want trade him:rolleyes: For what?? pick 28 which will become the great ?????? rather than Mattner who has played 98 games at AFL level proven that he is a great player when played in his correct position.

Massie On Franklin EF 2007 may have possibly been the best selection at the time but once again the AFC never admitted they were wrong and the 'boys club' even seen fit to 'bang home' they were right handed Massie three votes in the AFC B&F voting.

I reckon this 'Boys Club' thing is blown out of proportion. All clubs have people in positions because of their relationships with the senior people at the clubs. Do you reckon Port gave Primus and Kingsley coaching roles because there wasnt any alteratives to consider? or because they have established relationships with the senior coach and the club? On the Mattner issue, if Port move on Symes is that because of their boys club? The scenario is very similar. In regard to the Massie thing, do you reckon 3 votes in a system that allows up to 16 votes per game is a too high? What do you reckon he should have got? none? one? I reckon 3 was a fair assesment of what happened. Sure Massie was beaten, but he did some good things on the day, and was deducted 13 votes from the perfrect game score. Seems fair to me. Sure it wasnt a great match up, and a change could have been made. Perhaps thats a reflection of how stubborn NC is, but it has nothing to do with a boys club IMO. From several interviews, I got the impression that changes were suggested by the assistant coaches, but NC chose to stick with Massie.

Can we change the the sub heading of this board to:

Home of the massive overreaction:thumbsdown:

I'm so sick of this crap. Everytime something does not go exactly how someone on this board wants it's the death of the football club. If you all think the grass is really greener on the other sides go and ask Dyertribe how that ends up

Can we change the the sub heading of this board to:

Home of the massive overreaction:thumbsdown:

I'm so sick of this crap. Everytime something does not go exactly how someone on this board wants it's the death of the football club. If you all think the grass is really greener on the other sides go and ask Dyertribe how that ends up

:thumbsu:

3 votes to massie was fair seeing as it wasn't his fault he was on the wrong end of a complete mismatch.

Think the boys club is a little over-rated and its a bit doomsdayish to be predicting the ultimate destruction of the AFC. As soon as we don't make the 2nd round of the finals and a couple of players decide to seek opportunities elsewhere and suddenly we are a basket case.

If blokes like Rutten, Bock, Goodwin, Mcleod, Edwards, Thomson, Stevens, Basset(key blokes with no go home factor) started to leave I'd be worried, or if suddenly Reilly, van Berlo, Knights, Douglas, Griffen, Maric decided they want to up and go I'd be worried.

I'm actually excited as for the first time in a while we are actually going to have begun turning over our list and started to enter a new era where we don't depend upon blokes like Ricciuto, Mcleod, Edwards, Goodwin etc. Don't go jumping off the band wagon just yet, cause I reckon you'll just have to jump back on.

If u want an example of a boys' club, look at the rabble that is Carlton with their 1995 "heroes" ruling the roost.
The AFC is not a boys' club that's for sure. Darren Jarman getting booted out of his assistant coaching role because he wasn't doing his job properly is an example of this. We have been criticised by Rucci and co. for not having enough of that comradery usually associated with footy clubs, that we are run too much like a business, blah blah blah.
Yes, Massie should have been moved off Franklin after half time and Ricciuto should have been a late withdrawal before the EF but that doesn't even start to suggest that we're finished as a club.

I am so sick to death of rubbish crap like this thread. Pick 28 for Mattner is bloody good for our club. Mattner has been mediocre for too long and is stopping other kids getting oppurtunities. Hudson was going to leave for nothing and we got a 2nd round pick for him, well done to John Reid. Mattner is not even close to being worth a 1st round pick, be serious. Picking up used rubbish in trade periods is how you destroy clubs. We need to draft well and build the club up that way. If we can get 5 picks in the top 32 for Hudson, Meesen and Mattner I say we have done bloody well. If we traded so hard like half the peanuts on here wanted, The Power way, no one would want to deal with us and Mess and Huddo would of been stolen in the Pre-season. In sales and negotiating a relationship is the number one key to success, dont begrudge JR because clubs want to deal with us. We could of been bent over by the Dogs and the Dees but we wont because Adelaide is a well respected club, unlike Port, be proud of that fact

Massie On Franklin EF 2007 may have possibly been the best selection at the time but once again the AFC never admitted they were wrong and the 'boys club' even seen fit to 'bang home' they were right handed Massie three votes in the AFC B&F voting.

How do you know they haven't admitted they were wrong? Just because they didn't hold a press conference to publicly declare to the world that Massie wasn't good enough, or contacted you personally to apologise doesn't mean they haven't admitted withing their own ranks that it was a mistake.

I'm pretty confident that we won't ever see Massie play on Franklin again, and that's the only admission you need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am so sick to death of rubbish crap like this thread. Pick 28 for Mattner is bloody good for our club. Mattner has been mediocre for too long and is stopping other kids getting oppurtunities. Hudson was going to leave for nothing and we got a 2nd round pick for him, well done to John Reid. Mattner is not even close to being worth a 1st round pick, be serious. Picking up used rubbish in trade periods is how you destroy clubs. We need to draft well and build the club up that way. If we can get 5 picks in the top 32 for Hudson, Meesen and Mattner I say we have done bloody well. If we traded so hard like half the peanuts on here wanted, The Power way, no one would want to deal with us and Mess and Huddo would of been stolen in the Pre-season. In sales and negotiating a relationship is the number one key to success, dont begrudge JR because clubs want to deal with us. We could of been bent over by the Dogs and the Dees but we wont because Adelaide is a well respected club, unlike Port, be proud of that fact

Finally a voice of reason. Well put FB.

This needs to be discussed as it is blantly clear it exists................when was the last time the AFC or any of its hierachy admitted they made a mistake????

Mattner trade and Massie on Franklin are the two peices of evidence I would like to look at.

Mattner Trade Played out of position for a long time maybe due to injuries who knows, loses confidence in himself ultimately gets dropped for 'not performing' and now has been traded. Mattner is a hard running break the lines type player and when played on the wing was a dangerous and a key to success at the AFC. The AFC instead of saying 'well okay perhaps we have played Mattner out of position in 2008 we will play him back on the wing, get his confidence back, the 'boys club' said nope we are right Mattner isnt what we want trade him:rolleyes: For what?? pick 28 which will become the great ?????? rather than Mattner who has played 98 games at AFL level proven that he is a great player when played in his correct position.

Its similar to the boys club that exists in the SANFL. And I agree, it is ruining the club and will have (if the non accoutanbility continues) have long term negative effects on the club.

The Boys Club? You mean the people who make the decisions because that's what they're there for?

Personally i think John Reid killed JFK, Neil Craig hid Ronnie Biggs and Steven Trigg killed Bambi.

I too am sick of hearing this crap that NC ruined mattner. Yes mattner was played in the backline, but it wasn't his defensive skills that got him dropped it was his run and carry and then turnover, that did. It should be easier to run out of denfense. You pick the ball up you run straight, you don't have to turn around, the whole ground is ahead of you, very few players are behind you. You could make the same argument that running players such as mcleod, ty kennely, even d .jarman (for a couple of years) were played out of position, but in fact it makes it easier for them to run and attack. Out of all our defence, mattner is the one I have least confidence in carrying the ball and using it well. Bassett, Bock, johncock, massie, of course mcleod and even stevens can do it with more grace and ease than mattner, what does this say about a so call "AA wingman".

**** you are a whinging **** maccas
all you do is come on here and have a sook
the club was supposed to blow up after their first round loss to essendon and you came on here and gloated about how awesome you are
now its all over red rover once again for the AFC
get the **** off this board, out of this club and go and support Richmond

**** you are a whinging **** maccas
all you do is come on here and have a sook
the club was supposed to blow up after their first round loss to essendon and you came on here and gloated about how awesome you are
now its all over red rover once again for the AFC
get the **** off this board, out of this club and go and support Richmond
Winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFC 'Boys Club' Will it Ultimately Destroy the AFC???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back