Opinion The AFL narrative for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So what will the WWE (oops AFL) scriptwriters have in store for us after the bye ?

Caaaarrrlton v Collingwood looks a pipe dream, as does an all Sydney GF.

Geelong have fallen away, Melbourne and freo are boring, hmmm.

I know !! See the bombers fly up up !! Haven’t won a final for 189364629 days, written off by all, with a percentage worse than Stringer’s tattoos.

Redemption, heel turns hero storyline lol.

One thing’s for sure, they need to invent drama as the May premiers looking every part of going on with it.
The Rock to come in and steal the premiership match away from us!

I lived in Manly 20+ years ago. Drop a pie crumb and the challenge would be keeping other cockroaches out of the shot.

Damn, I'm thinking about the pie shop/bakery at the ferry end of the Corso. It began life as Shakespeare's Pies before changing the name to Hamlet's pies. The place was an icon. The mince steak, bacon & cheese pie was my fave, the gravy perfect. It closed its doors in 2020, a silent victim of the global pandemic.
I remember that pie shop! Absolutely scrumptious!!!

Their custard tarts were to die for...
I lived at Fairlight at about the same time. I had a flat overlooking the harbour. I could see through the Sydney heads looking south. Not on the harbour but across the street. I loved watching the storms brewing from the south. Lightening. Thunder. The ominous grey clouds building up. The wind would precede the storm and it would get the hairs up on your arms as it hit you in the face.
I would walk around the water to the ferry terminal at Manly and take the ferry to work in Sydney. I would get sun tanned on the way to work. In stormy weather there were some big swells coming through the heads. The ferries always ran though. They would time their run coming at a 90 degree angle at the swells and at the last minute turn and ride the swells toward Sydney. Bags would slide 20metres inside the ferry back and forth. On sunny days I had my sunnies on and a coffee sitting with my feet up outside on the side of the ferry. It was a great way to go to work every day.
I caught the ferry to and from work in the city in the late 70s and early 80s, I only ever remember it not running once... I remember because I got a bus instead from the wharf, and got on the 169 by mistake! It did go to the city, but by a scenic route and I was an hour and half late! I loved those ferry rides in rough seas...

Always a good trip out to Manly on the ferry not sure how many times I remembered getting home. Lived in Wooloomooloo for a few years in the late nineties Harry's Cafe de Wheels was the go to spot on many occasions. Drunk , Hungover , couldn't be bothered cooking days it didn't seem to matter.
$160 for a studio apartment in the late 90's it was tiny but if you stepped up on the toilet seat and stuck your head out the window you could get a glimpse of the top of the harbour bridge.
Good times but Sydney was always expensive and it's gone nuts since then I bailed down south which has been equally enjoyable but different.

So what will the WWE (oops AFL) scriptwriters have in store for us after the bye ?

Caaaarrrlton v Collingwood looks a pipe dream, as does an all Sydney GF.

Geelong have fallen away, Melbourne and freo are boring, hmmm.

I know !! See the bombers fly up up !! Haven’t won a final for 189364629 days, written off by all, with a percentage worse than Stringer’s tattoos.

Redemption, heel turns hero storyline lol.

One thing’s for sure, they need to invent drama as the May premiers looking every part of going on with it.
Geelong vs Sydney rematch

So the new narrative is taking shape.

If you thought 2016 was bad, well you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Welcome to “Grand Theft Auto 2”.
The sequel promises to have more daring robberies and obstacles to dodge than ever before

Because in this sequel:

Carlton are going to god damn win this thing because every umpire, journalist, tribunal member, lawyer, media personality, groundsman, interchange official, caterer, betting agency, waterboy and Hitman is gonna damn well make sure of it.

The only way through is a direct attack by the club on every dodgy call. No more play nice and keep quiet and hope for the best. We must launch an offensive on every inconsistency we see. Horse needs to go full Bob Katter mode.

Let’s hold the AFL to account, media loves drama, let’s give it to them. What have we got to lose ?

If you thought 2016 was bad, well you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Welcome to “Grand Theft Auto 2”.
The sequel promises to have more daring robberies and obstacles to dodge than ever before

Because in this sequel:

Carlton are going to god damn win this thing because every umpire, journalist, tribunal member, lawyer, media personality, groundsman, interchange official, caterer, betting agency, waterboy and Hitman is gonna damn well make sure of it.

The only way through is a direct attack by the club on every dodgy call. No more play nice and keep quiet and hope for the best. We must launch an offensive on every inconsistency we see. Horse needs to go full Bob Katter mode.

Let’s hold the AFL to account, media loves drama, let’s give it to them. What have we got to lose ?
This is a top class melt. Pure gold. Love it

😂😂😂😂😂

Because in this sequel:

The Carlton narrative is what worries me most by far.

Any non-VIC team I think we’ll get a relatively even playing field.

I think Cats or Magpies there won’t be a huge narrative as they’ve both just won a flag

But Bombers or Blues - it will be preordained that like 2016 Swans are just extras in a show. Fortunately you need to win two finals to get to the big dance, so that rules the Bombers out. But Carlton in will see the industry collectively lose their minds with the narrative. And also the swans haven’t beaten the Blues at the MCG for over a century

The Carlton narrative is what worries me most by far.

Any non-VIC team I think we’ll get a relatively even playing field.

I think Cats or Magpies there won’t be a huge narrative as they’ve both just won a flag

But Bombers or Blues - it will be preordained that like 2016 Swans are just extras in a show. Fortunately you need to win two finals to get to the big dance, so that rules the Bombers out. But Carlton in will see the industry collectively lose their minds with the narrative. And also the swans haven’t beaten the Blues at the MCG for over a century
Would be great if it was Swans- Lions Grand final. Not out of the question as things stand. Proper Grand final on a neutral ground. Last GF with no Victorian team was 2006 IIRC.

Opinion The AFL narrative for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back