The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
It's that time again folks...ever since the creation of football we discuss around this time of year the idea of having football played on Good Friday.

Surely in this modern era the benefits of a game on Good Friday outweigh previous reservations due to religious reasons. With Vlad departing, this time next year a game on Good Friday is pretty much locked it to happen with a new CEO to give it the final tick of approval.

Positives/Suggestions
  • All tickets sold money goes to Good Friday Appeal.
  • Every goal kicked (NAB, Toyota or whoever the major sponsor is) donates $10,000 to the appeal.
  • Carlton v North in twilight timeslot as suggested is ideal
  • Tin rattling outside Eithad- I'm am sure every patron will dig deep and donate lots!
  • Give free tickets to kids and their families from the Royal Children's hospital to the game, a few hours out of the hospital environment will put a smile on their faces and take their minds of things
  • Players to visit RCH during the week, spending time with the kids handing out blues and roos scarfs footys, jumpers etc
  • Kick-to-kick allowed after the final siren
  • A family friendly Jessica Mauboy type singer to play at half time or after game
  • Auction the jumpers and match day ball after the match with all proceeds going to the appeal
If ch7 are so concerned about the match interrupting the appeal telethon then televise the match on 7mate. I'm sure ch7 realise having the match on will generate more for the appeal than not having it on.

Good Friday football- make it happen.

I'm all for it, but just by having it on 7Mate instead of CH7 isn't going to change the fact that people's focus will be elsewhere and not on the appeal. The game should be held prior to or following the Appeal.

I think having donations continuing through the game, and having a massive donation by both teams at the end would be great for football and the community. It's a shame that some people are so hung up on it.

It's all but confirmed for next year. As long as the gimmicks are tossed aside and the game is handled with maturity then all will be well, attaching charities to the game is a nice touch. Mainly, it will be nice to actually do something on Good Friday for once.

The Melbourne Rebels are playing a game on Good Friday with the Appeal as a main focus. I reckon the AFL will be watching and seeing how it goes.

can't they just play at night?

the appeal doesn't go at nighttime does it?

9am until midnight.

As much as it is about Channel 7's (and the Herald Sun and 3AW) support for charity, don't underestimate it is a tool to promote their network 'stars' and shows. 7 will be more reluctant to give it up that people might think.

9am until midnight.

As much as it is about Channel 7's (and the Herald Sun and 3AW) support for charity, don't underestimate it is a tool to promote their network 'stars' and shows. 7 will be more reluctant to give it up that people might think.

Spot on! This is the hidden truth. Ch7 unfortunately use the appeal to "promote" shows such as winners and losers, home and away, my kitchen rules etc.

I am completely unaware of any appeal so if the AFL supports/promotes the appeal then it actually helps the cause.

As someone who'll be at church on Friday morning would love to come home to watch some footy.

I am completely unaware of any appeal so if the AFL supports/promotes the appeal then it actually helps the cause.

As someone who'll be at church on Friday morning would love to come home to watch some footy.

I forgot the appeal is only televised in Vic.

What happens in W.A on Good Friday? do you have your own telethon on T.V or local games of footy on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done deal for next year according to Tim Watson
Twilight match, starting around 4.40pm, between Kangas and Bulldogs!

If this happens and NM and Carlton don't play. What's next ? Do the traditional Anzac Day and Queens B'day fixtures come part of the equalisation argument and clubs that have had it all to themselves move over and let the Bulldogs take their spot.

I forgot the appeal is only televised in Vic.

What happens in W.A on Good Friday? do you have your own telethon on T.V or local games of footy on?
Nothing happens in WA on Good Friday. It is the most boring day of the year.

I'm actually quite disappointed reading this thread, as I had been under the impression that there was a game on Good Friday this year!:(

If this happens and NM and Carlton don't play. What's next ? Do the traditional Anzac Day and Queens B'day fixtures come part of the equalisation argument and clubs that have had it all to themselves move over and let the Bulldogs take their spot.
Watson gave the reason the Blues would be overlooked for Good Friday as the AFL want to allow smaller clubs like the Dogs a chance to have their own game from day 1
No need to take games off other clubs, not sure why you would ask this?
He mentioned that Carlton were a big club and sides like the Dogs and Kangas needed to have their own traditional games from day 1

Watson gave the reason the Blues would be overlooked for Good Friday as the AFL want to allow smaller clubs like the Dogs a chance to have their own game from day 1
He mentioned that Carlton were a big club and sides like the Dogs and Kangas needed to have their own traditional games from day 1

Yeah.. that'll last one year...

Carlton v Collingwood in 2016

I agree give some lesser light teams that chance to have their own "marquee game".

Did Tim Watson make these comments on Talking Footy last night or on SEN this morning?

100% so far say "yes".

Would like the Herald Sun or a show like the Project to do a poll on it and see what the general consensus is...

So you get a stand alone fixture and you still want to complain?

What's wrong? Concerned your club wont have the pulling power to get people to a stand alone game?

What happened to that Eureka Stockade game North Melbourne were trying to get going?

You can't just put a name on it and expect it to take off.

Remove this Banner Ad

The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Back