The arrogance and balls of one Nathan Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

So if Malthouse wanted the Carlton job, would Ratten step aside?

No, but IMO that is irrelevant.
Malthouse is so good because he's had time to study every single aspect of this Collingwood side since each player was drafted. He's studied their strengths and weaknesses and has built a game plan that works for Collingwood. The chances of him walking to a new club and flagging up in 1-2-3 even 4 years is remote.

He's proven himself at Collingwood, but it did take him 10+ years.

We've only had 6 players who've played all games this year and have trialled 32 altogether.

Jolly has been called our most important player consistently, yet we won plenty with Wood. Dawes was meant to be integral to the structure, but we've functioned without him. Without Thomas and Swan, Wellingham stepped up to collect 37. Etc.

Thats not to say they aren't in the best 22, but we're pretty well set in terms of overall system, fitness, roles etc.

You've had a fairly ordinary run with injuries. Losing blokes who are important to your structure is hardly unique. You have also taken opportunities to blood players. That's different to needing these players due to injury. In 2006 West Coast used 34 players despite being eventual premiers and having an OK injury run. They also only had 3 that played every game.

You have NOT had a shocking run.

I got my year wrong but in 2008, West Coast used 38 players, largely due to injuries.

You've had a fairly ordinary run with injuries. Losing blokes who are important to your structure is hardly unique. You have also taken opportunities to blood players. That's different to needing these players due to injury. In 2006 West Coast used 34 players despite being eventual premiers and having an OK injury run. They also only had 3 that played every game.

You have NOT had a shocking run.

I got my year wrong but in 2008, West Coast used 38 players, largely due to injuries.

Collingwood have had 14 Premiership players miss at least two games this year through injury or suspension. They've had five Premiership players play only half the games so far this year (Dayne Beams, Tyson Goldsack, Ben Johnson, Darren Jolly, Brent Macaffer), and their Premiership Full Back (Nathan J. Brown) hasn't played and won't play at all this year. They've had one promising youngster retire due to injury without even getting to play a senior game (Tom Hunter), and have got a former Rising Star nominee who may also retire due to injury (Brad Dick). The Pies have currently got 10 Premiership players on the injured/suspended list as well. Not "shocking", but certainly significant.

The trolls would still continue to criticise the arrangement, on the grounds that Malthouse brought the club two flags and Buckley only one, and that he was spoon fed with an inherited list.

If we win the flag this year, Buckley will have to coach the Pies to three flags before he shuts the critics up.

We can only hope;)
I'll settle for 2 and put up with the critics. We don't need to knock McHales record over with 2 coaches. Equalling our own previously unmatched record will be enough for me.

Collingwood have had 14 Premiership players miss at least two games this year through injury or suspension. They've had five Premiership players play only half the games so far this year (Dayne Beams, Tyson Goldsack, Ben Johnson, Darren Jolly, Brent Macaffer), and their Premiership Full Back (Nathan J. Brown) hasn't played and won't play at all this year. They've had one promising youngster retire due to injury without even getting to play a senior game (Tom Hunter), and have got a former Rising Star nominee who may also retire due to injury (Brad Dick). The Pies have currently got 10 Premiership players on the injured/suspended list as well. Not "shocking", but certainly significant.

Laughable that you want to include Macaffer and Beams, who have played VFL games due to poor form.

Laughable that you want to include Macaffer and Beams, who have played VFL games due to poor form.

Macaffer fair enough but Beams played every game until round 12 (iirc where he suffered a foot injury) that kept him out until last week. He didn't come back through the twos either so hardly struggling for form in the VFL.

Been Discussed a lot of late about Malthouses options and his perspective etc, but IMO something that hasnt been adequatey covered is the arrogance of Buckley. He is in effect saying "although the current coach is an all time great and legend of the game, and is in fact coaching better than ever and will most likely have just coached back to back flags, I think I'm better. I Nathan Buckley am a better option for collIngwood than this immortal of The game. If he doesn't believe he is a better coach, what a selfish freak, basically telling Collingwood and all their supporters, "we may have the most amazing list in the afl, a list capable of winning 5 flags, but my own personal ambition overidea any sense I have of Wanting to see cOllingwood win as many lags as possible. Surely this list deserves the best coach available. That ain't Buckley.

So either (a) he is deluded enough to think he is a better coach than Mick.
(b) he knows he's not but doesn't care, or think that this amazoniat of players deserve he absolute best chance at 3peating/winning record breaking premierships.

Thread title: 10/10

Content of post: 10/10

[sustained golf clap applause]

I'll settle for 2 and put up with the critics. We don't need to knock McHales record over with 2 coaches. Equalling our own previously unmatched record will be enough for me.
you better hope you dont come across brisbane again because we all know what would happen dont we??? :D:D:D:D:D

More laughable that you'd take time to write that hogwash when they are both clearly "premiership players"

Probably one of the nicest people I have ever met. What he did for my terminally ill cousins (both had muscular dystophy) through no prompting from anyone, off his own back and his own time, will always be remembered.
I can handle people bagging Buckley the footballer or the coach-in-waiting, but I can't handle people bagging him as a person because he is simply 1st class.

Lovely to read something like this here. So much of BF is negative, sniping, politics of envy stuff, breath of fresh air to hear something good :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macaffer was struggling for fitness after injury, and Beams had time off with injury as well, so they weren't simply dropped for poor form. Either way, it doesn't change any of the other injuries and games missed that I mentioned. I know every club has them, but for anyone to claim that Collingwood has had a smooth, injury-free run so far this year would be fallacy.

Macaffer was struggling for fitness after injury, and Beams had time off with injury as well, so they weren't simply dropped for poor form. Either way, it doesn't change any of the other injuries and games missed that I mentioned. I know every club has them, but for anyone to claim that Collingwood has had a smooth, injury-free run so far this year would be fallacy.

The other thing is we manage loads so well that we have had a smallish injury list at any point over the last two years.

Beams came straight back into the seniors last week after injury. Has barely played VFL all year. Maccaffer has had constant injuries over the preseason and has been hampered all year. Just starting to come good now but without the fitness base will probably not quite be a starter in our best 22.

Because the fact that Buckley hasn't said anything yet means you can make up all of these opinions on what he feels?

I know every club has them, but for anyone to claim that Collingwood has had a smooth, injury-free run so far this year would be fallacy.

I didn't. Nobody has. I said they have had a fairly ordinary run with injuries. An example of a good run with injuries would be West Coast. An example of a shocking run would be West Coast in 2008.

More laughable that you'd take time to write that hogwash when they are both clearly "premiership players"

And...? That is the worst reply I've ever had.

Cam Mooney is a triple premiership player. How much respect has that afforded him from the great unwashed?

Beams came straight back into the seniors last week after injury. Has barely played VFL all year. Maccaffer has had constant injuries over the preseason and has been hampered all year. Just starting to come good now but without the fitness base will probably not quite be a starter in our best 22.

Clearly, omitted this week.

We've only had 6 players who've played all games this year and have trialled 32 altogether.

Jolly has been called our most important player consistently, yet we won plenty with Wood. Dawes was meant to be integral to the structure, but we've functioned without him. Without Thomas and Swan, Wellingham stepped up to collect 37. Etc.

Thats not to say they aren't in the best 22, but we're pretty well set in terms of overall system, fitness, roles etc.

So that's 6 more than Geelong then?

Because the fact that Buckley hasn't said anything yet means you can make up all of these opinions on what he feels?

Glad this has come from a non-Collingwood supporter. Nothing has been definitively said either way, but I don't know why people won't consider that if Collingwood do win the Premiership this year, Buckley could have the courage and humility to say "You know what? I can wait. Let Mick remain in control." Why is that so unrealistic/impossible?

Cam Mooney is a triple premiership player. How much respect has that afforded him from the great unwashed?

Not enough IMO.

I've been one of the bigger Mooney defenders around here for a while, and I really don't think he gets anywhere near the credit he deserves for his role in Geelong's success. If "anyone could do it" in a key forward role with Geelong's midfield feeding them, then Tom Hawkins would have, and the Cats wouldn't have had to recruit James Podsiadly. Mooney still has to have the ability to consistently take the marks (7.30 per game from 2007-present) and kick the goals (2.06 per game from 2007-present), regardless of how good the supply is.

Clearly, omitted this week.

Beams is actually back on the injured list this week, with the same foot problem that kept him out previously. Obviously didn't pull up well from the Essendon game. I don't think Macaffer has got himself fit enough to hold a place at the moment.

Yep, injury has cruelled his 2011. Didak and Thomas are pretty handy ins too.

Maccaffers injury woes have given Krakouer the opportunity to go past him, whilst Fasolo has also taken his chances.

He'll be back. Probably next year though.

The good thing is history shows that Malthouse will keep them in while their form deserves it, which is a great thing. Unlike what Thompson did at Geelong last year with Menzel and Duncan.

I hope other coaches learn from it instead of playing favourites and going the safe route.

Remove this Banner Ad

The arrogance and balls of one Nathan Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back