The Ashes, Second Test Australia v England @ The Adelaide Oval d/n 16-20 December

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got tours against Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India coming up next year.

With the way Harris is going we can't afford to have him opening in those tours. He'll be eaten alive.

Usman has at least shown he can do it. I wouldn't want to put a young opener in that position.

You're never going to get a good opportunity to pick a young opener at this level, so it's a moot point. If they're good enough, they'll thrive. If not, they'll either learn and adapt their game, or we've found out who isn't a person to focus on in the future. Both are valuable things to find out.

We certainly shouldn't be shirking from looking at a younger opener, especially as we only have a short time before we're forced into that decision with Warner retiring (and really, I wouldn't even rule out that he pulls up stumps at the end of this series at the moment).

Got a bad feeling about today, relying on Lyon to bowl you to victory never ends in disappointment...

That's great, but that's not what I said is it.

Khwaja's body of work in his career has not been stellar and he does not put runs on the board when Australia needs it in a big series like the Ashes. That's why he is not in the team. I merely used the Ashes as a comparison to someone selecting one match were Khwaja managed to get a double century in Dubai.

I said I would have no issues in Khwaja replacing Harris in Melbourne, I merely said why not look at a guy like Tim Ward by way of blooding younger talent.
You referred to it as a shithouse test against Pakistan. You then referenced a series in which he performed better than another couple of openers in a series where most of our batsmen were incredibly ordinary.

Ashes 17/18 averaged nearly 50. 170 at the SCG. I mean, you rate Ashes performances yeh?

He is worth a shot opening. Has done it before with success and has scored well in the Shield this year. As I said last chance saloon though.

Theres blooding younger talent. Then there's taking it ridiculously too far and picking someone after 11 FC innings. I wouldnt have an issue if you said someone like Hunt.

Got a bad feeling about today, relying on Lyon to bowl you to victory never ends in disappointment...

Keep having those bad feelings man.

This is likely going to be over in the first hour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starc making me eat some humble pie leading the attack this test.

I have to admit I'm starting to wonder how much having Hazlewood and Cummins neuters Starc as a cricketer.

Stokes should just barrage his way to fifty now, as his teammates are not going to provide any resistance whatsoever, and he'll at least achieve some personal success.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ashes, Second Test Australia v England @ The Adelaide Oval d/n 16-20 December

Back