The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell you what's actually gross, this crowd from the Dees. Absolutely shocking support for that size of club.
They reckon there was more North fans there as well.

They've jumped off the bandwagon quickly.

I actually really feel for Dees fans.

After decades, they were finally good and then went and won their flag during Covid where 90% of their fan base was locked out of watching it live. Absolutely brutal.

I don't feel for them much, even when they were reigning premiers in 2022 their crowds were awful. I went to watch us play them at the G and I reckon at absolute worst it was a 50/50 split in the crowd but far more likely we outnumbered them.

They're actually a small club not one of the giants of the comp but are viewed in that way because of their heritage.

I don't feel for them much, even when they were reigning premiers in 2022 their crowds were awful. I went to watch us play them at the G and I reckon at absolute worst it was a 50/50 split in the crowd but far more likely we outnumbered them.

They're actually a small club not one of the giants of the comp but are viewed in that way because of their heritage.
I'm not saying that because I think they're some big powerhouse.

There are still die hard fans in that supporter base that never got the opportunity to see their rare shining moment.

Would be like if the 2016 flag had been played over in Perth. The Dogs faithful missing the opportunity to see a once in a lifetime type success.

I'm not saying that because I think they're some big powerhouse.

There are still die hard fans in that supporter base that never got the opportunity to see their rare shining moment.

Would be like if the 2016 flag had been played over in Perth. The Dogs faithful missing the opportunity to see a once in a lifetime type success.

Yeah still don't get the sympathy angle for that. If Freo win a flag a bunch of their supporters will miss out, as ours did in 2005. Grand finals are hard to get tickets to and expensive if you need to travel interstate.

Yeah still don't get the sympathy angle for that. If Freo win a flag a bunch of their supporters will miss out, as ours did in 2005. Grand finals are hard to get tickets to and expensive if you need to travel interstate.
If Carlton make the grand final only a quarter of their members will probably get a ticket.

If Carlton make the grand final only a quarter of their members will probably get a ticket.

“The AFL offers an allocation of 17,000 tickets to each competing club for the grand final. About 15,000 tickets are set aside for corporate groups and sponsors.” Who are the other 51,000 seats allocated to? 😳

Not just the game though, is it. Grand final parade, fan days after the win. They got absolutely none of that. They weren't even allowed to watch the game at a pub/with mates.

What they missed out on is far different to any other year.

“The AFL offers an allocation of 17,000 tickets to each competing club for the grand final. About 15,000 tickets are set aside for corporate groups and sponsors.” Who are the other 51,000 seats allocated to? 😳

Even 20,000 is absurd. That's 40k combined in a 100k seat stadium.

Should be at least 35k each team. That still leaves 30k for the rest.

Not just the game though, is it. Grand final parade, fan days after the win. They got absolutely none of that. They weren't even allowed to watch the game at a pub/with mates.

What they missed out on is far different to any other year.

So you think that interstate clubs like Freo and the Swans would have supporters travel to Melbourne to enjoy the parade etc.?

That's more my point that there's 8 clubs in the league who would experience this on a yearly basis, including us when breaking a 72 year drought, and Freo (if they win a flag). It sucks but that's the nature of a national comp.

Didn't plenty of Dogs and Dees fans head over to Perth anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think that interstate clubs like Freo and the Swans would have supporters travel to Melbourne to enjoy the parade etc.?

That's more my point that there's 8 clubs in the league who would experience this on a yearly basis, including us when breaking a 72 year drought, and Freo (if they win a flag). It sucks but that's the nature of a national comp.

Didn't plenty of Dogs and Dees fans head over to Perth anyway?
Yes. Absolutely I do. Not all of them obviously but if you're making your way down for the game, how many do you think are flying there and back on the same day? I'm only guessing but I wouldn't have thought most.

I see your point, the Melbourne one was next level though. Like I said, they couldn't even watch with mates.

No. There was a handful that did and they ended up in prison from memory. They went via the NT, it was some restaurant guy and his mate. WA had a strict lockdown with the Eastern states.

Yes. Absolutely I do. Not all of them obviously but if you're making your way down for the game, how many do you think are flying there and back on the same day? I'm only guessing but I wouldn't have thought most.

I see your point, the Melbourne one was next level though. Like I said, they couldn't even watch with mates.

No. There was a handful that did and they ended up in prison from memory. They went via the NT, it was some restaurant guy and his mate. WA had a strict lockdown with the Eastern states.

But my point was that only maybe 20k could get tickets to the game so you're saying maybe 20k fans got to travel from Sydney or from Perth etc. to watch the flag and parade etc. That's where I don't see a huge amount of sympathy. Take your point on not being able to watch together, but don't think that's the end of the world. People would be on face time or whatever or just sneak over anyway.

Even 20,000 is absurd. That's 40k combined in a 100k seat stadium.

Should be at least 35k each team. That still leaves 30k for the rest.
Yeah, I absolutely agree. It’s trash that so many genuine supporters and members miss out for people who watch one game a year and aren’t even interested in the Grand Final anyway.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. It’s trash that so many genuine supporters and members miss out for people who watch one game a year and aren’t even interested in the Grand Final anyway.
The AFL is more interested in making money off the game than the supporters happiness.

Need to also factor in the MCC (~23k) and AFL members area (~20-30k?).

Thought there definitely needs to be a greater amount allocated to each clubs members outside of the other opportunities (MCC & AFL members)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back