The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Parker got 6 weeks for a body bump. The suspension was for the whip lash/head on head contact, and I suspect it was the same here?
Probably was. Dangerous decisions.

Buckley's off the cuff remark on Monday that "you can't win a contest by too much these days" starting to look accurate.

i guess the thing is that if you get hit hard enough in the body and back players can still get concussion issues. westies player josh ryan has retired mid season with concussion issues and his latest one that left him feeling like he was having a stroke he wasnt even hit in the head. it goes against what we traditionally know the sport to be but i think over the years a 'gentler' game so to speak is inevitable.

It's a fine line with what they're trying to achieve. You don't want to remove the fabric of the game.

However, you look at the Gold Coast one and say well if he didn't elect to bump, the other player doesn't end up with concussion. Nobody wants someone to end up concussed and if it can be avoided, shouldn't it?

I think ultimately these policy changes should be player driven. They're the ones playing and having their futures impacted. Either agree that you play a game that means at times you'll end up (unfortunately) concussed due to heavy hits, or, embrace a 'softer' style of play and punish those hits when they do cause concussions. But let the players dictate that, not corporate people in suits who aren't putting their heads on the line each week.

SEN right now is captivating. Gerard Healy and Dwayne absolutely schooling Laura Kane.
She's gone full politician. Cannot answer the question Bedford tackle, head contact no concussion is it a suspension.

SEN right now is captivating. Gerard Healy and Dwayne absolutely schooling Laura Kane.
She's gone full politician. Cannot answer the question Bedford tackle, head contact no concussion is it a suspension.
Healy and Dwayne spent years not schooling Gillon McLachlan and Michael Christian. But Laura Kane is a woman, so they’ve finally found their voices. Good for them.

Can anyone remember Gill's deputies speaking to the media on umpiring/MRO controversies when he was in charge? The amount you hear Kane in the media you would've thought she was the CEO not Dillon.

It seems she's is just there to be the punching bag in place of her boss. Maybe that's what her agreed remit was but it seems like Dillon is hiding behind her and dodging responsibility for this debacle.

Can anyone remember Gill's deputies speaking to the media on umpiring/MRO controversies when he was in charge? The amount you hear Kane in the media you would've thought she was the CEO not Dillon.

It seems she's is just there to be the punching bag in place of her boss. Maybe that's what her agreed remit was but it seems like Dillon is hiding behind her and dodging responsibility for this debacle.
Uh yes? Brad Scott?

Brad Scott answered questions a lot. Before him so did Hocking, and way back when so did Mark Evans.
Hence why the sexist call Re: Kane was nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Scott answered questions a lot. Before him so did Hocking, and way back when so did Mark Evans.
Hence why the sexist call Re: Kane was nonsense.
Not saying those guys didn't talk to the media but the AFL bungled something big it wasn't them fronting up.

When Adelaide were robbed vs Sydney last year it was Gill who apologised to the Crows.
When Cripps got off in 2022 Gill said he was disappointed, not Brad Scott back when he was in the role Kane is in now.

Contrast to Laura Kane apparently apologising to the Bombers for the umpiring vs Geelong, not Dillon.

I don't buy the sexism card either but its as if Dillon seems to be passing the buck.

The most frustrating I've been after a game for a long time. Mental lapse to concede 8 goals straight, good resolve to come back and really have the game in our hands, mental lapse to lose it again.

Momentum swung with Caldwell going off though, was by far our most influential player after half time.

Not saying those guys didn't talk to the media but the AFL bungled something big it wasn't them fronting up.

When Adelaide were robbed vs Sydney last year it was Gill who apologised to the Crows.
When Cripps got off in 2022 Gill said he was disappointed, not Brad Scott back when he was in the role Kane is in now.

Contrast to Laura Kane apparently apologising to the Bombers for the umpiring vs Geelong, not Dillon.

I don't buy the sexism card either but its as if Dillon seems to be passing the buck.

Dillon has always come across as spineless to me so it isn't a shock to see he is a weak leader. Say what you want about Gil and his predecessors but they at least had a spine.

Last edited:
The most frustrating I've been after a game for a long time. Mental lapse to concede 8 goals straight, good resolve to come back and really have the game in our hands, mental lapse to lose it again.

Momentum swung with Caldwell going off though, was by far our most influential player after half time.
They had three injuries players on the bench in the last quarter including Dawson and far less experienced team…dreadful loss

Yes.

The Footy Ops job is the worst in the AFL. Every week you are answerable to subjective umpiring calls and constant talk back radio.

They’ve had shit flung at them for 5+ years.

Steve Hocking was brutalized on a weekly basis.

Simon Lethlain prior to that.

Brad Scott has always been made of teflon.

GS629XIbIAQx5Wf

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back