The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no issues with that, I think that argument is well and truly valid.

Truthfully I also think Harvey was playing well enough to keep going. It’s a testament to their preparation that they’ve been able to produce at a high level on that many occasions.

Personally think Scotty will be going on a year too long next year but another part of me thinks, **** it. Let him go as long as he wants. Boomer felt pushed out before he should’ve been tbh. Let the champions do what they want.

It’s why I dont mind Richmond allowing Dusty a whole lot of slack this season. He’s an immortal of that club. Treat him as such.

I have no issues with that, I think that argument is well and truly valid.

Truthfully I also think Harvey was playing well enough to keep going. It’s a testament to their preparation that they’ve been able to produce at a high level on that many occasions.

Personally think Scotty will be going on a year too long next year but another part of me thinks, **** it. Let him go as long as he wants. Boomer felt pushed out before he should’ve been tbh. Let the champions do what they want.

It’s why I dont mind Richmond allowing Dusty a whole lot of slack this season. He’s an immortal of that club. Treat him as such.
I think Dusty is taking the piss a bit at this stage.

I think Dusty is taking the piss a bit at this stage.
So what? He’s won literally everything there is to win for that club.

I promise you, if Cripps had done the same as Dusty, there’s not a Blues fan alive that wouldn’t give him the same leeway.

So what? He’s won literally everything there is to win for that club.

I promise you, if Cripps had done the same as Dusty, there’s not a Blues fan alive that wouldn’t give him the same leeway.

So it's disrespecting the club so he can go play golf. It's a poor look.

If Adam Goodes had spent his last year pissing around while the Swans were bottom of the table I'd think it damaged his legacy.

Depends on your list. I never thought we would get that way with Fyfe but a lot (myself included) have been calling for him to be dropped and/or retire. He may be a great of the club but his performances for a large majority of the past couple of seasons have not warranted him staying in the team while hindering the development of Johnson and Erasmus and performing well under the level of what Brodie would provide.

Dusty isn't really keeping anyone out of the team Richmond (that I am aware of) so they can afford to carry him while he is not performing.

Depends on what part of the cycle you're in and what the behaviour pattern is. If you're a club that's got an ageing list then there's no place for sentimentality. Push them when they need to be pushed and bring in some youthful exuberance.

Also need to consider culture, if they're still maintaining high standards and want to go on again even if not guaranteed a game in the seniors then let them if the list profile dictates it.

I think Richmond's list build and impending loss of Baker, Bolton and possibly Rioli would lend to Dusty staying for experience. But don't think his heart is in it too much atm so his attitude would probably make me keen to see him leave if I were a tigers fan.

So it's disrespecting the club so he can go play golf. It's a poor look.

If Adam Goodes had spent his last year pissing around while the Swans were bottom of the table I'd think it damaged his legacy.
I can see that side of it, I just think he’s still earned that right.

If they were competing at the pointy end then I’d agree. Whether he played or not this year would’ve made no difference.

He’s done right by Richmond, they’ve now done right by him.

If I was Richmond, you don’t let him go again though obviously. Pretty clear he’s not mentally/physically there.

I can see that side of it, I just think he’s still earned that right.

If they were competing at the pointy end then I’d agree. Whether he played or not this year would’ve made no difference.

He’s done right by Richmond, they’ve now done right by him.

If I was Richmond, you don’t let him go again though obviously. Pretty clear he’s not mentally/physically there.

If they were competing at the pointy end he'd be a lot more committed naturally. When the club is on its knees is when you need the greats to stick fat and help the club through it. He's essentially deserted them to play golf.

When the club is on its knees is when you need the greats to stick fat and help the club through it. He's essentially deserted them to play golf.
Always respected 3 old blokes for this.

McGrath, Kilpatrick and Mensch for toiling away in the reserves after having had their chances in the 90s to win.

2112658_1_O.jpg

I see Brandon Ellis retired today.

Actually thought that had already happened tbh. Good player for the Tigers over the years. Not sure how much of an impact he made up north but I can see why they’d have made the call to get him there.

Not seen melts over role players quite like Lachie Murphy getting games. Might have to take a close look on Saturday.
See what the fuss is about.
The thing is, no one actually knows what his role is. He doesn't kick goals as a small forward, he doesn't provide pressure, he can't tag (Impey towelled him up) and he can't find the ball.

You say Parfitt but Murphy is undisputedly the worst AFL player to reach 100 games. Drafted from the SANFL side as a top-up because he had a part-time job selling merchandise at CROWMania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, no one actually knows what his role is. He doesn't kick goals as a small forward, he doesn't provide pressure, he can't tag (Impey towelled him up) and he can't find the ball.
Sounds like you've got yourself a Kayne Turner.

Tom Morris decided to take the long way to say that Shai Bolton wants to go to Fremantle because Richmond are shit.
I would dare say it's a decent shout that it is mainly family based. No doubt, us sliding down the ladder would be a factor too.

Bolton has a great relationship with all the Indigenous lads at the club, they are a really tight knit group. I don't think us sliding down the ladder is the main reason he wants to leave. He has strong relationships at the club and that would no doubt be an incentive for him to stay.

But the fact is he and his partner are about to have 2 kids under 3, I would say it's pretty normal to want family help and support during a time like that.

Will be disappointing to lose him, he is a star when he is on, great to watch when he is in full flight and capable of turning a game on its head. Footballing wise, a side that is contending will get the best out of him. We unfortunately will not be that for the next few years. Personally also seems to suit him and his family as well.

Last edited:
I would dare say it's a decent shout that it is mainly family based. No doubt, us sliding down the ladder would be a factor too.

Bolton has a great relationship with all the Indigenous lads at the club, they are a really tight knit group. I don't think us sliding down the ladder is the main he wants to leave. He has strong relationships at the club and that would no doubt be an incentive for him to stay.

But the fact is he and his partner are about to have 2 kids under 3, I would say it's pretty normal to want family help and support during a time like that.

Will be disappointing to lose him, he is a star when he is on, great to watch when he is in full flight and capable of turning a game on its head. Footballing wise, a side that is contending will get the best out of him. We unfortunately will not be that for the next few years. Personally also seems to suit him and his family as well.

A bit harsh on my behalf tbf. Richmond would definitely wish Shai and his family all the best in Perth after he helped the club win in 2019 and 2020.

the problem with murphy is he's a state league footballer. there's nothing quite wrong with having a couple, you cant have all stars. but they shouldnt be in elevated positions, they're for rounding out the list. you'll see 20-25 lachie murphy's in the sanfl each week. he's a generic footballer who now at 25 and 100+ games is someone who should be phased out and replaced.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back