Game Day The Big One. Hawthorn V West Coast Eagles Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

BRING IT ON #timetohunt

Listen to the Hawks fans on social media, the media and the experts and it's Hawthorn's flag to lose, I don't see that at all. West Coast have everything to gain and nothing to lose in my eyes, getting to the big dance alone is a win enough for me and a 4th flag would just be the best sweetener around.

If we start well, can control the game and play on our terms, don't let the occasion and nerves get to us we are in this with a shot. Be smart going inside 50, don't just bomb it in because that's how Lake got his NSM with intercept marking. Need to lower the eyes and kick it either to the best lead or a hot spot with LeCras crumbing underneath. If they blow us off the park early we are in trouble. I've got no doubt the snipers will be out in force early as well.

MATCH UPS - These thoughts are my own.

Wellingham V Rioli. Super important match up. Need to stop the ball getting in Rioli's hands.

3rd tall V Schoenmakers. Assign a more athletic defender on him that can run and has the endurance. It may be Schofield but that leaves Sheppard or Butler on the dangerous Gunston. Had a good finals series Schoenmakers but the Hawks aren't fully confident in him. A forward that we can damage on the rebound.

Sheppard V Bruest - Shepp's been a revelation in 2015 and proven to be able to play small and taller forwards. Big job on Bruest but he's a damaging forward in the air and on the ground.

Naitanui & Sinclair V McEvoy, Hale, Ceglar - It's a big call but I wouldn't be surprised to see Sinclair there for the opening bounce. The unsociable Hawks will be out in force early to try and rattle us and Nic Nat needs to be sheltered from it somewhat. My opinion is Gaff starts on the bench for this reason to.

As for Ceglar it's less than 50/50 chance he plays right now after a poor showing in the VFL Grand Final but if they feel Hale doesn't have a full game against Naitanui in him than Ceglar is available.

Hutchings V Mitchell. Give Hutch the task and just tell him to follow Mitchell all day. Has the endurance to do it.

Priddis V Lewis - Go head to head here especially around stoppages. Backing Pridda in.

Shiels V Shuey - I think they'll assign a tag to Shuey. Our most damaging midfielder but he worked his way into the Prelim well after Ben Jacobs got the points early.

Rosa and Gaff V Hill and Smith. The battle of the running wingers, if Gaff gets time, space and rom to move he can be a weapon for us tomorrow as can Hill and Smith for Hawthorn. Rosa may need to lock down on one of them.

If we get the Lake on Kennedy match up one out than that's good for us and JK will kick a bag. Frawley is the Hawks best option for JK

Cripps V Gibson. Gibson loves the uncontested mark, chip chip play that Hawthorn play well. If we apply pressure on him with a smaller dangerous forward who tackles well and gives excellent pressure he won't like that. Another attacking option for Gibson is Darling but this kind of match up would suit Gibson more than Cripps would.

Good write up agree with most of it. Naitanui has to be involved in the first bounce though, he's our most aggressive and influential clearance player. Wouldn't worry about him getting hurt, would be more concerned if i was Hawks fan knowing at any moment he could pulverize any one of their players. The other thing i slightly disagree with is Sheppard vs Shoenmakers. Sheppard is probably the perfect match up for Gunston in terms of physique, pace etc.. while Schofield is definitely suited to Roughy and McGovern on the resting ruckman. I actually think our defense matches up brilliantly on their forward line.

Good luck guys. Your team totally deserves to be there. Thank god freo didn't make it. The visits from your blokes in our analogous thread have been nothing but respectful. I shudder to think what freo and their rabble might have don in our thread.

Going to be a great game.

Good luck guys. Your team totally deserves to be there. Thank god freo didn't make it. The visits from your blokes in our analogous thread have been nothing but respectful. I shudder to think what freo and their rabble might have don in our thread.

Going to be a great game.

Onya grumbleguts. May the best bird win

I love the way you guys go about your footy. It's been a real pleasure to watch another attacking exciting team jump up the ladder and improve so much. A great effort considering the hardships and injuries you've copped. Total respect.
I'm not even contemplating a loss ( arrogant hawks supporter ). However if we were to lose, I couldn't think of a better side to lose to.
Can't wait for tomorrow!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Fremantle supporting daughter has informed me she will be a poos and wees supporter tommorow.

Disowned.

Your daughter is a freo supporter

Should have been disowned long before now

And you need to enrol in parenting school

Reading and getting another reminder that we are in the granny just gave me shivers and hard nipples

can anyone tell me why not one person in the media has pickup on Sam Butler being the only remaining Eagles from 2006, its an absolute credit to him, how he managed to stay on the list for 10 years defies belief, i remember looking at the list 3 or 4 years ago wondering how he was still on the list and to see him in the GF team just makes he laugh, thats what you call flying under the radar

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day The Big One. Hawthorn V West Coast Eagles Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back