The Brownlow Medal (The Type of medal we never win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps the vote stealing theory is legitimate?

Certainly Goodes stands out from his teams mates, ditto Simon Black (although competiting with Jono Brown).

Whereas when Geelong win there is a number of players who could poll in any given game.

Correct, really when they win who else can get votes? Maybe Rok, or Hall if he kicks a bag, that's it.

Bit harsh to say Cooney is undeserving though, if the guy is best on ground he gets 3 votes its that simple. He doesnt have to be better than Ablett to win it, just the other 35 guys on the field with him on a particular day. And this year he was more often than not, Ablett got jipped in some games but so did Adam in a coupke games where cross got votes.

Perhaps the vote stealing theory is legitimate?

Certainly Goodes stands out from his teams mates, ditto Simon Black (although competiting with Jono Brown).

Whereas when Geelong win there is a number of players who could poll in any given game.

Correct, really when they win who else can get votes? Maybe Rok, or Hall if he kicks a bag, that's it.

I agree with the vote stealing, and that some players stand out in certain teams, but am lost trying to explain the round 5 game when Geelong won by 42 (posted this on the main board)

Geelong 16.18.114
Sydney 10.12.72

Stats:
Ablett - 35 disposals, 3.0 goals, 5 tackles
Bartel - 27 disposals, 2.1 goals, 10 tackles
Kirk - 23 disposals, 0.0 goals, 7 tackles
Stevie J - 22 disposals, 4.1 goals, 3 tackles
Stokes - 21 disposals, 4.0 goals, 3 tackles
Selwood - 20 disposals, 0.3 goals, 0 tackles
Ling - 18 disposals, 0.1 goals, 4 tackles
Kelly - 15 disposals, 0.0 goals, 6 tackles
Goodes - 14 disposals, 0.4 goals, 5 tackles (tagged by Ling)

15 Cats and 11 Swans equalled or had more disposals than Goodes.

Votes:
3 - Ablett
2 - Goodes
1 - Selwood

On top of Goodes, that's one where Bartel failed to get votes - in a game where the Herald Sun described Bartels performance as "Peerless – except for a bloke called Ablett."

Cooney is a deserved winner definetly; would love for him to play for the Cats. But there were some games that had me scratching my head. Bartel only polling in a handful of games is pathetic. Tyson Edwards, Medhurst, Boys; those players polled better then Bartel, and Bartel had a much much better year.

Good to see selwood getting heaps of votes. That probably balanced it out :p

Oh, and how about Hodge only getting 2 votes for the season. Even though I dont like Hawthorn at all, he is a much much better player then that.

Votes:
3 - Ablett
2 - Goodes
1 - Selwood

This and the rest you posted it is ridiculous for any player to get votes for that game with those stats no matter how good he was. Unless he was playing FB and shut down Lance Franklin at the same time it does not happen to ANY other player. Half the country already looks at Goodes as the suspension dodging dirty sniper but he is going to be whiskers away year after year of being a ****ing triple Brownlow medalist even though most would not consider him being in the top 10, or even 20 ... 30 players in the league

Are the 'cost of living' salary cap concessions not enough to give an edge to produce good players, do they need extra media exposure of a local AFL legend - unstoppable in a Brownlow count - to maintain a weak market share.

It is frustrating, I am always annoyed at Adam Goodes but now i really want him to be Rooked to the Max next time he steals votes in a losing side.

I've given up on the brownlow being worth anything. The maggots can't call a game let alone figure out who was best on ground. ALFPA and Coaches medals are far better judged.

Cooney is a deserved winner definetly; would love for him to play for the Cats. But there were some games that had me scratching my head. Bartel only polling in a handful of games is pathetic. Tyson Edwards, Medhurst, Boys; those players polled better then Bartel, and Bartel had a much much better year.

Good to see selwood getting heaps of votes. That probably balanced it out :p

Oh, and how about Hodge only getting 2 votes for the season. Even though I dont like Hawthorn at all, he is a much much better player then that.

You would have to admit, if you watched all the Pies games, that Medders had a great year and deserved the votes he got.
Bartel not getting votes is the story here.
To say Bartel had a much better year means nothing as far as the Brownlow goes. The umps don't see footy as we do, obviously, just look at Goodes.....the votes he gets are at odds with all common sense.
When he does actually deserve votes and he kicks 8 he gets no votes?

Bad luck to your blokes though, but it is hard to win a Chaz with so many in one side polling well. Always best to be a single standout player in an otherwise even side for Brownlow honors, usually.

so its a disgrace for cooney to win the brownlow even though he was fav upto the halfway mark but harvey who wasn't even a fav for the brownlow until the second half of the yr is robbed. yes ok.

I didn't say that, or anything like that.
Learn to read before you come onto our board.

the seond half of the year is obvioously more important then the first because alot of you have seemed to have forgotten how good cooneys start to the year actully was. very unlucky not to get more votes in the first 15 rounds.

No disrespect to Cooney whose first half of the year was outstanding

How about you actually read what you're quoting before mouthing off.
It might save you from looking like a semi-literate dullard.

if the guy is best on ground he gets 3 votes its that simple. He doesnt have to be better than Ablett to win it, just the other 35 guys on the field with him on a particular day. And this year he was more often than not
This is the most sensible thing I have read in a long time.

I don't know what all the bitching and moaning is about anyway, none of the Geelong players seemed to give a toss about it. "We've got bigger fish to fry", "It's a team game and the premiership is the most important thing" etc etc. None of them looked the least bit interested to be there and I didn't see too many smiles from the Cats' table. Lighten up a bit fellas, it's only Monday night. I don't think the Hawthorn players are going to say "right, the Cats are having a good time at the Brownlow on MONDAY, I think we've got them here, they've cracked" !

None of them looked the least bit interested to be there and I didn't see too many smiles from the Cats' table. Lighten up a bit fellas, it's only Monday night. I don't think the Hawthorn players are going to say "right, the Cats are having a good time at the Brownlow on MONDAY, I think we've got them here, they've cracked" !

You do it your way, we'll do it ours. So what if our players didn't look interested? I'd rather them express honest body language and look bored, than to sit there acting all pampered and giddy because of the lights and WAGS and patronising toasts. Your assumption that you know how a person should behave reeks of baseless arrogance and unfounded faux-insight into personality. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you're worthless.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brownlow Medal (The Type of medal we never win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back