Preview The Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Captaincy

It's not a one off though.

Regularly see him demonstratively castigate his own teammates.
Yeah, we have high standards at Collingwood.

Maybe its the reason why we never produce pea-hearted Freo like performances:thumbsu:

Most of the defenders get into heated debates with eachother; O'Brien, Maxwell, Shaw etc in particular. That's part of the reason why we are the best defensive unit in the competition, because the players demand the very highest level of excellence from each other and every goal conceded is a reflection on the defensive unit. They get heated because they care.

So please, keep your trollish opinions to the main board, or have you been banned from there?

I wouldnt be surprised if Buckley makes us have a new captain next year, to stamp his rein with a whole change of many aspects of the team.

I too thought they might want to make wholesale changes such as this, but the club came out last week and stated they're going after continuity over the coach transition, a' la re-signing Butters, etc.

The antics like the one you're referring to are brushed aside as "Heater being Heater" and club and captain have defended him over them. Shaw is a highly respected player amongst the fans (for starters the 'Shaw' name is deeply revered), so you're bound to hit a raw nerve or ten if you go waving a knife anywhere near him. :)

(I said myself in an earlier post on this thread that I thought others would make a better captain ahead of him - so I don't disagree with you. Perhaps a little diplomacy and better choice of words would help) ;)

No offense but if Pendles is made captain nobody else will be for 8 years+.

I'm not offended by that, who would be?

I am always impressed with Pendlebury's leadership onfield, obviously through his stellar play, but also his vocal leadership. Sure it is somewhat limited to within the midfield group but it seems more often than not he is the most vocal and leading the discussions. He is also one to talk a lot after the siren at the end of each quarter, and everyone listens to him and no doubt respect what he has to say.

Maxwell has done a great job but lets face it he will be struggling to stay in the top 22 next year and its prob time they ask him to step aside for next year.
Id like to see Pendles take over, but I think Dane Swan would rise to the role in a serious way and it would be great to see that. When Harry O grows out of his spiritual man phase he might be a canditate, and I actually think Daisy would rise to it really well too if he cut his hair. Luke Ball would make a great captain but he's still got a bit of St Kilda in him and that doesnt work.

I'm not offended by that, who would be?.
Well just all these other suggestions that other players would make good captains, it really doesn't matter because chances are if Pendles is made captain then our following captain will probably be someone we haven't even recruited yet. There's not a lot more to be said!

I love Bally and respect him immensely but he's getting on, time for a young and experienced captain with footy smarts and a good media manner.

Pendles

If that's the criteria then I think Daisy would win it over Pendles. They're both young and experienced. It's debatable about who has the better footy smarts (let's not, they're both good), but I reckon Daisy is far more experienced and relaxed in front of the media.

If that's the criteria then I think Daisy would win it over Pendles. They're both young and experienced. It's debatable about who has the better footy smarts (let's not, they're both good), but I reckon Daisy is far more experienced and relaxed in front of the media.
I have no problems with Daisy but I do acknowledge there is a perception lingering out there that he's a smart @rse party boy whose flashy and over hyped. Depends which way the club wants to go.

Well just all these other suggestions that other players would make good captains, it really doesn't matter because chances are if Pendles is made captain then our following captain will probably be someone we haven't even recruited yet. There's not a lot more to be said!

Yep, we won't see a thread like this for a very long time, which I've got no problem with.

We are indeed blessed any of quite a few would make a great skipper.. Just as a nice aside guys, i just finished watching Pendles being interviewed on his trade day and when asked what type of player he was he humbly said " i,ve been compared to dal santo...so if im HALF the player he is ill be stoked" half the player. Lol. Lol. Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beams?! lol.

I think Pendlebury fits in perfectly. Jolly also, although he wouldn't have long left, perhaps a Ling type captaincy there.

Other than that, it's hard to tell how our list will shape itself and how developed our younger kids will be in another 2-4 years.

The captain has to be the front of the greatest club ever! So it's more than just an on-field role.. Unfortunately we can't have guys who can't string a sentence together.

Pendles 2011 and have Maxy mentor him.

Love to see Heater because of family ties but not sure his personality is suited for the role.

Collingwood premiership captain L.Ball would be brilliant....gee I cant stand the Saints.

If not him it would be Pendles.

Nobody else comes close atm as far as im concerned.

Pendles has the nose in front after Maxy retires, at this point.

Luke Ball would be a terrific captain, but I think by the time Maxy retires Bally may be nudging 30 himself.

Do we offer it to Pendlebury next year?

Would it be a factor in keeping him after 2012?

Is a new coach and a new captain too much change for a club that's got almost everything right for 2 seasons?

Are you kidding...........................

Maxwell has lead us superbly to a premiership and on the verge of another.

There would be no way it should be any other way next year. And I do not think any of the players would have it any other way either.

While we do have several players that demonstrate good leadership skills you just dont toss one good one out to make way for another to keep him at the club.

Furthermore ......................................... nar I am gobsmacked its even contemplated............

word is pendlebury was given it as part of his 1 year extension, to compensate for the lack of cash as it comes with media and stuff. Ball would be pretty good too...

fasolo for the smokey :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview The Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back