The Charles Cameron Apology Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't expect him to kick 5 goals and take Mark of the Year every week.

I do expect him to contribute for four quarters every week, not one quarter every four weeks (which is his usual standard). I do expect him to hit targets more often than not, which is also something he hasn't done regularly. He's finally shown that he is capable of doing this - so now I expect that this will be his new standard, not reverting to his previous (not good enough) standard of football.

Everyone knew he had all the tools - the problem was his inability to use more than 1 or 2 of them in any given game. Last night he put it all together, using all of his weapons with devastating effect. He has never done that before, at least not for a whole game.
No small forward contributes every quarter not even the best like Betts or Greene.

What Cameron does do is bring the heat every game which is why he was never getting dropped.

His explosive offensive game is obviously another reason :)

No small forward contributes every quarter not even the best like Betts or Greene.

What Cameron does do is bring the heat every game which is why he was never getting dropped.

Bringing the "heat" is good... but the "explosive offensive game" just wasn't working - until last night.

Pre-game a mate said Charlie would be the match winner and I jokingly said he'd kick 7....

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

That was the most un-Charlie-like game I've seen him play. I've criticised him for his goal kicking - last night it was exemplary. I've criticised him for his kicking in general, last night he barely missed a target. I've criticised him for rarely playing more than a one-quarter cameo, last night he put in a solid four quarter game.

Who kidnapped Charlie Cameron - and who is the player who was wearing the #23 last night?

Last night was easily the best game of Cameron's career. Forget about the Sydney final last year, even that was just a one-quarter cameo. This was a complete performance, probably the first time he's ever done so. This was his best game, and it's daylight second.

Well done Charlie - now go out there again next Saturday and show us that this wasn't a one-off fluke. Show us that you're not Geelong's entry in their equivalent of the Callum Chambers Club. This is the standard we expect of you - you've failed to deliver in the past, but now you've shown us what you're really capable of. We need to see this every week, not once every 100 games.
You talk do much crap, in the first quarter of the year he was one of our best players. You love the sound of your own voice and always need to have the last word

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wouldn't be having this conversation if he contributed anywhere near as often as Betts or Greene.

His explosive offensive game was usually a bonus for the opposition, because it inevitably resulted in a turnover. There's no point in burning off your opponent and kicking the ball long, if you're just going to kick it straight to an opposition player anyway. On Friday night he actually hit targets after lighting the afterburners - the first time in a very long time we've seen him do this.

Ah you didnt watch obviously.

Cameron was being lauded for the first 6 or so rounds. Was brilliant.
I agree that it was the best part of his season, with the obvious exception of the preliminary final. That's not the same thing as saying that he was one of our best players during this period.

CC was one of our best in the first quarter of the season? Hmm. First 2 games yes. Then he was mostly solid. He second half was mostly poor.
Inside Football   AFL Player Ratings   Charlie CAMERON.png

Best from AFL.com first 6 rounds (easiest to find)

Rd1 GWS: Laird, Cameron, Atkins, Douglas, Milera, Betts
Rd2 Hawks: Jacobs, Sloane, Smith, Mackay, Crouch, Betts, Talia (he was stiff there)
Rd 3 Port: Sloane, Douglas, Walker, Otten, Laird, Lynch, Knight
Rd 4 Ess: Walker, Betts, Sloane Laird, Jacobs, Smith
Rd 5 GCS: Atkins, Sloane, M.Crouch, Laird, Lynch, B.Crouch
Rd 6 Rich: Sloane, M.Crouch, Jacobs, Lynch, Walker, Laird

And FWIW here were my mentions of CC in the GBU threads (to see if my memory aligns with my thoughts at the time):

Rd 1: Charlie Cameron - Be nice if he could kick the set shots, but other than that? Pfft A jet.
Rd 2: CC. Electric
Rd 3: No mention
Rd 4: No mention - but I didn't really mention anyone
Rd 5: No mention
Rd 6: CC wears the 23 perfectly.

Get in here fellas
Glad someone made this thread the heat he copped this year was ridiculously over the top. Didn't exactly play his best and could have been given a rest at some point but his issues were more execution than effort. Great to see him tear a game apart and such an important one in our clubs history. Come on one more Charlie.

Sorry, but the opinions of noted fanbois don't sway my judgement, and you are easily Charlie's biggest fanboi. You're completely incapable of seeing any of the negative aspects of his game, and that makes your judgement invalid.
Well lucky we didnt listen to guys with no footy nouse like yourself and drop him :)

CC was one of our best in the first quarter of the season? Hmm. First 2 games yes. Then he was mostly solid. He second half was mostly poor.
View attachment 419960

Best from AFL.com first 6 rounds (easiest to find)

Rd1 GWS: Laird, Cameron, Atkins, Douglas, Milera, Betts
Rd2 Hawks: Jacobs, Sloane, Smith, Mackay, Crouch, Betts, Talia (he was stiff there)
Rd 3 Port: Sloane, Douglas, Walker, Otten, Laird, Lynch, Knight
Rd 4 Ess: Walker, Betts, Sloane Laird, Jacobs, Smith
Rd 5 GCS: Atkins, Sloane, M.Crouch, Laird, Lynch, B.Crouch
Rd 6 Rich: Sloane, M.Crouch, Jacobs, Lynch, Walker, Laird

And FWIW here were my mentions of CC in the GBU threads (to see if my memory aligns with my thoughts at the time):

Rd 1: Charlie Cameron - Be nice if he could kick the set shots, but other than that? Pfft A jet.
Rd 2: CC. Electric
Rd 3: No mention
Rd 4: No mention - but I didn't really mention anyone
Rd 5: No mention
Rd 6: CC wears the 23 perfectly.
Looks like a very good first 6 games!

Looks like a very good first 6 games!
As I said, the first 2 were very good, the next 4 pretty solid, and then bleurgh except for two games against the easy beat Brisbane and Freo.

CC thus far has very much been a teaser player - we always want more consistency than he gives us because while he is not McLeod, he is one of the few who can do a damn good impression when things click.

Maybe he is one who does take a bit more than 50 games? (hope not if he is off to the Lions - and my gut feeling is he will regress there)

Also good to recall he was one of the few who stood up last year in the final against Sydney. But I don't think we owe him an apology - the criticism of him began when he began playing poorly and that he has far too many frustrating games where you think he's thisclose to doing something special, but doesn't. The final against GWS was a eprfect case in point:

Here's a smattering of the GBU thread;
Bad: Cameron tries but geez.
Bad: Jenkins and Cameron can be frustrating so close but so far at times
Bad: Cameron: An ok game overall (excellent pressure!), but so many "nearly" moments. Frustrating
Bad: Cc although he put some good pressure early
Worst: I'll be the one to say it --- Cameron is a liability.
Good: - Charlie's intensity at the contest and speed.
Bad: - Charlie's disposal

Loved his game on Friday. But that's the standard I think many of him have been judging him by - that is what we've been wanting. Too harsh? Maybe, but I don't think anyone here thinks he should be judged by the standards of a depth player.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Charles Cameron Apology Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back