Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i agree so why don't they do it then it makes no sense to make a decision in 3 or 5 weeks draft,trading period over, so if the so called board want him gone there not doing a good job getting on with it.

My call he stays

Politics. He may well survive because of two board members. But if he does then next year will be worse than this year and he’ll be sacked at some stage anyway.

Speaking of travel - any new info on the China game V Port? Are we still interested? Cooled?
I'm watching that one with great interest...…..you'd assume it would involve some serious coin for us to play a game in Shanghai......and we're not in a financial position to ignore it.

Politics. He may well survive because of two board members. But if he does then next year will be worse than this year and he’ll be sacked at some stage anyway.

MG on a related note, Blacres' name is now getting heavily reported on for a trade. Given he seems to be the poster boy for player mismanagement, do you know anything about it or whether he has requested a trade?

No coach is going to get sacked and then perform a lesser role, egos simply won’t allow it.
We will have another poor year next year if Richo is in charge, we will lose quality players, memberships will fall off a cliff, we won’t attract any decent recruits, crowds will be embarrassing....I’m sure Longmire and Clarkson can’t wait to walk into that. Waiting for the dream coach is the quickest way to sustained mediocrity.
The coaches position is untenable, everybody knows it, even the board. Let them continue their politics and hopefully the two board members who would look the silliest if Richo was to be sacked can come around and put the club first before any perceived blow to their reputations.
Things are still happening behind the scenes, I guarantee you that.
No offence and love your posting MG but you're saying if Richo stays we WILL have a poor year next year. That is an opinion not a fact. With new, better assistant coaches around him we may improve. Obviously you think he's a bad coach and many share that view but reality is in the two years previous we won more games than we lost so he has won games as a coach before.

I'm just not convinced it's always as clear cut as 'good' and 'bad' head coaches. It looks like he's staying so we need to focus on improvement.

My feelings exactly The Enemy.

Until I read or hear this as fact....I'll treat such talk as scuttlebutt !

Really surprises me when ex taswegian media types spruke Tassie should have team .
Especially guys like Tim Lane who should know better , emotion doesn’t pay the bills.

30 years ago teams in Tasmania were flying Victorian players into their leagues .
30 years ago teams in Tasmania were financially cash strapped as major companies
came back to the mainland.
The local football leagues hate each other have done for over 50 years, won’t work
together , they folded the Tasmanian Mariners under 18’s because the state associations
won’t work together , there is zero development due to this and it won’t change.

This Chicken Little stuff the sky is falling , is laughable.

Stkilda as a club has always struggled with facilities , now they have one of the best.
There is no magic pudding stuff , all the clubs have had shit administrations during their
history , fix this and club will improve, as this has been the issue for decades.

MG on a related note, Blacres' name is now getting heavily reported on for a trade. Given he seems to be the poster boy for player mismanagement, do you know anything about it or whether he has requested a trade?

There are more than a few of our young players that would like to explore their options, luckily most are under contract.
It’s not a great place to be at the moment so I’d expect WA teams to go after Blake pretty hard.
Managers will want their players out and other clubs know what’s happening, we are ripe for the picking.
Let’s hope we can persuade the unhappy ones to stay by taking immediate action on all of our issues.

Not a very attractive destination :(

drftax.jpg

There's no escaping!!!

When you say our board wants Richo gone, I’m assuming the majority? So just a couple of them (who we can have an educated guess at) are holding this up?
Correctamundo :)

Yeah, to an extent I agree - a few players allegedly requesting trades would possibly indicate he's lost them. On the other hand coming off the back of a 4.5 win season I'd expect a level of discontentment.
Our skills were deplorable this year - absolutely putrid. Not sure thats on the coach.
Goal kicking was woeful - again, not something AR was responsible for (hence the hiring of Dixon)
Unless I'm inside the clubs walls and I'm hearing the players saying this I simply can't believe it to be truth - the admin would know and act. Swiftly. There can be no chance for the players to be dictating terms to an organisation.
So, whilst I agree there may be an element of "Richo can GAGF" from the playing group, I believe it to be a minority - he was touted as an excellent development coach after all - and as with all minorities they seem to have the loudest voice.
Time will tell.
I suspect the coaching group are partially responsible for the poor skills:
1. He keep picking players with limited skills - Weller; Gilbert; Geary; Dunstan

2. He has a game plan that requires good skills under pressure, which we don’t have..

3. He has a game plan based on pressure, When we lose the ball which is often, we are chasing tails most of the game, fatigue sets in, affecting shooting for goal, general skills..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping the seat warm? He's been there so long that it's going cold even with him sitting in it, the life less bastard
Haha, I’m as frustrated as everyone else on here.. But I still remember being very optimistic about this season at the start of the year, we just had 2 seasons of nearly making the finals, even the media folks were talking us up for finals contention.

So the wheel really fell off this year. The game style that worked last 2 years no longer works, we played the most putrid/uncompetitive football i’ve ever seen. For that as the head coach Richo is solely responsible.. The nail in the coffin is that he does not even see the game plan, coaching is the problem. And simple mistakes like handballing into trouble, bombing long, no forward structure, Blind switches of play, and multiple backmen spoiling each other were not addressed the entire season.. If i was the player, I would have requested a trade too, because it demonstrates the coach really has no idea.. Let’s hope things change.. for the good!!

I can't actually believe that the majority of the board, the incoming president,want him gone. Yet he is still there...

Seriously the worst most insipid administration in the land. It's embarassing, there is no hope. They can't even manage to do this right. Time to put everyone out of the misery and just hand in the keys, we'll all move on eventually, it's the only fair thing to do for the supporters, just fold

So, whilst I agree there may be an element of "Richo can GAGF" from the playing group, I believe it to be a minority - he was touted as an excellent development coach after all - and as with all minorities they seem to have the loudest voice.
Time will tell.
I get the feeling that "excellent development coach" sentiment is mostly good will from the industry. His employment history has him moving clubs pretty much every 2 years, and that doesn't scream "highly regarded" in an industry where 5,6,7 years is pretty normal.. He's well liked obviously, but that may actually be the extent of it...

I can't actually believe that the majority of the board, the incoming president,want him gone. Yet he is still there...

Seriously the worst most insipid administration in the land. It's embarassing, there is no hope. They can't even manage to do this right. Time to put everyone out of the misery and just hand in the keys, we'll all move on eventually, it's the only fair thing to do for the supporters, just fold
Welcome to the club

Correctamundo :)

Does this have to be a unanimous decision?

Time for Letch to instigate a coup to topple the current CEO methinks. We just can’t afford to go into a trade and draft period and new season with a split board and a club that is not united and all on the same page. Not sure we can afford another season like this one... members, sponsors etc will drop off rapidly.
Jeez we are a rabble atm.

Does this have to be a unanimous decision?

Time for Letch to instigate a coup to topple the current CEO methinks. We just can’t afford to go into a trade and draft period and new season with a split board and a club that is not united and all on the same page. Not sure we can afford another season like this one... members, sponsors etc will drop off rapidly.
Jeez we are a rabble atm.
Yes from what I know it needs to be unanimous.

There's talk something will come about this week, but I'm getting conflicting news so I really couldn't tell you.

I think he stays but hope he goes.

I don't profess to know much about the way a football board operates but it seems to be a very weird situation that we had/have where Summers and Finnis, the two most senior people at the club wanted one thing, and all the rest on the board wanted another. I get that it's only one vote per person and all that but it seems odd.

I don't profess to know much about the way a football board operates but it seems to be a very weird situation that we had/have where Summers and Finnis, the two most senior people at the club wanted one thing, and all the rest on the board wanted another. I get that it's only one vote per person and all that but it seems odd.

Finnis has a lot to lose. Coming to St Kilda was only a stepping stone. If he oversaw the contract extension of the head coach & then sacks him within 11 months of the extension he faces all sorts of professional embarrassment & it wouldn’t be good for his CV when trying to move into AFL House!

Last edited:
Yes from what I know it needs to be unanimous.

There's talk something will come about this week, but I'm getting conflicting news so I really couldn't tell you.

I think he stays but hope he goes.

Is it Summers & Finnis holding up the decision?

Summers is officially gone within two months.

Finnis will be on his own backing Richo. I reckon he resigns anytime now. Then Richo goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back