Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the board of a club in the most powerful sporting league in this nation cannot execute one of the most basic decisions in recent memory, then they just about deserve to fold. This is beyond "amateur hour" and is almost so absurd that you couldn't make it up. The reality is that many things in football aren't controllable; we can't be held accountable for that toe-poke, or that bounce, or for our number one pick having concussion issues etc., but you can control who coaches the club, so when you get given the golden opportunity to right the ship, there is absolutely no excuse not to take it.

I would sooner purchase a Bummers, Filth, or Carlscum membership than renew whilst the current administration in place. Some selfish pissants are willing to let the club burn in order to protect their reputation, and I'd almost accept a scorched-earth approach taken to a 145 year old institution just to see them go down with it.

If the board of a club in the most powerful sporting league in this nation cannot execute one of the most basic decisions in recent memory, then they just about deserve to fold. This is beyond "amateur hour" and is almost so absurd that you couldn't make it up. The reality is that many things in football aren't controllable; we can't be held accountable for that toe-poke, or that bounce, or for our number one pick having concussion issues etc., but you can control who coaches the club, so when you get given the golden opportunity to right the ship, there is absolutely no excuse not to take it.

I would sooner purchase a Bummers, Filth, or Carlscum membership than renew whilst the current administration in place. Some selfish pissants are willing to let the club burn in order to protect their reputation, and I'd almost accept a scorched-earth approach taken to a 145 year old institution just to see them go down with it.
Amen.

But what reports? That's what I'm saying, the only "reports" are in this thread.

The players are advocating a change of coach? Again can you link me to something that isn't in the Sack Richo thread? Because excuse me for being cynical but this thread is a little loaded.

"which looks a very real possibility" Again only in this thread does it look like a real possibility that Richo won't coach next year. Since Monday the media, who live for coaches blood, have basically moved on from the story.

You don't think this thread might be becoming a self fulfilling prophecy? Maybe a bit of an echo chamber that only listens to what it wants to hear?

I'm talking about the reports from this thread. You were asking why the players in question haven't asked for trades yet. I suggested a reason.

To quote George here "a 4 win season, complete cleanout of assistants, players not signing contracts and the president stepping down". Those are facts. You can't deny them. That series of events would suggest a new coach is a very real possibility.

Don't know if maybe you are just reading different things to me but from what I have seen, the mainstream media has been putting out a fair amount of stories about "under fire" Richo to the point he is having to deny it personally. Now Roo is having to "vehemently" deny media speculation that he is pivotal to whether Richo keeps his job.

Rooey's response by the way,
"I'm a St Kilda person, so I will support all of the incumbents, all the people in the positions (at the club)," Riewoldt told Fox Footy.
"So in that sense, yeah, 'Richo' has my support."

Interesting way to answer in my opinion.

It’s 2018 not 1948 or 1988. Does anyone rely on newspapers or TV for news anymore? They are the last to know now, you always hear things more quickly- especially when we are talking sport - on forums like this.
ah so that's why they haven't reported it... because they know that no one is watching or listening.

You added a lot of your own subtext to that.

And those that are stating that Roo is backing Richo are not?

Roos statement were all in politic speak (and I do not blame him at all for this). He loves the Saints and so is not dishing the club publicly by deed or or word. But if your look at what he said there is no real backing of Richo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ah so that's why they haven't reported it... because they know that no one is watching or listening.
Nah, they're just slower to react. They've got their own thing going on now, where once upon a time journalists like Ron Carter would spend their time sniffing out a story, modern day journos just wait for it to happen, then get reactions. If you want to get the info first and hear of a developing story there's no doubt sports forums are the best place. I honestly can't remember a time since I joined Big Footy that I've heard a footy related story broken in the media before it was done so on here. That's why a lot of us like it, I reckon.

but the gospel is that if he joined the board, Richo would be gone.

We have a new President, but the board is still the same. The new President joined the in July 2016. They all rubber-stamped Richo's extension and so it is hardly a surprised that the current board sees no reason to move Richo on. It would be admitting that they all stuffed up badly.

What we need is significant change in who is on the board. Just changing who sits in which chair will do nothing most likely.

Roo by himself would only be one change. We need a lot more than one change.

We have a new President, but the board is still the same. The new President joined the in July 2016. They all rubber-stamped Richo's extension and so it is hardly a surprised that the current board sees no reason to move Richo on. It would be admitting that they all stuffed up badly.

What we need is significant change in who is on the board. Just changing who sits in which chair will do nothing most likely.

Roo by himself would only be one change. We need a lot more than one change.
no, the gossip has been that Roo was the last domino and that if he joined the board, Richo was toast.

so if he joins, the status quo and direction changes, which then contradicts your assertion.

Nah, they're just slower to react. They've got their own thing going on now, where once upon a time journalists like Ron Carter would spend their time sniffing out a story, modern day journos just wait for it to happen, then get reactions. If you want to get the info first and hear of a developing story there's no doubt sports forums are the best place. I honestly can't remember a time since I joined Big Footy that I've heard a footy related story broken in the media before it was done so on here. That's why a lot of us like it, I reckon.
just started watching the third industrial revolution. talks about the same thing and info sharing etc.

Finnis and Summers probably think we are happy and excited
2guk4li.jpg

no, the gossip has been that Roo was the last domino

Last domino? I am not sure how you play dominos, but when I do there are a number of pieces. So it is a bit much to say Roo was the last domino, when there have been none falling as yet. Who are the others for Roo to have been the last domino?

So far no one has fallen either for the positive or the negative. Summers and Thommo are both going because there time is up.

So far Bassat is replacing Bassat as the President. But Bassat was from the current board. There are no dominos falling onto the board to drive change either.

So there have been no dominos falling. There has been no coup d'état

and that if he joined the board, Richo was toast.

so if he joins, the status quo and direction changes, which then contradicts your assertion.

Well that may be your gossip that you believe and that you wish to assert. Personally I cannot understand the logic that you are expressing.

My view is that a board is made up of a group of people and that as such that it is the group dynamic that is important. While in any group dynamic all people are not equal, rarely would one person be able to sway a whole board, and moreso when he is the new kid on the block.

To have hadd significant change we would have needed new group come in. ie Say Watts and others.

We don't have that and so the status quo remains. Richo remains.

There are a few other things that i have been told but i can't mention in here however it's going to happen but it's something that will take a bit of time to execute.
Just to be clear here.

There's a lot of supporters, me included, who would like to see Richo replaced.

But none of us, and particularly not me, are suggesting he be executed

But what reports? That's what I'm saying, the only "reports" are in this thread.

The players are advocating a change of coach? Again can you link me to something that isn't in the Sack Richo thread? Because excuse me for being cynical but this thread is a little loaded.

"which looks a very real possibility" Again only in this thread does it look like a real possibility that Richo won't coach next year. Since Monday the media, who live for coaches blood, have basically moved on from the story.

You don't think this thread might be becoming a self fulfilling prophecy? Maybe a bit of an echo chamber that only listens to what it wants to hear?
Couldn’t of said it any better myself

They've got their own thing going on now, where once upon a time journalists like Ron Carter would spend their time sniffing out a story, modern day journos just wait for it to happen, then get reactions. .

I agree.

In my view true journalists are rare today. Media Barons do not choose to allow their staff times for time to be true journalists.

Social Media has been a disruptor to journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back