Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably right- guys like Merrett, Heppell and the rest would be playing for Sandy if they were Saints players.
Essendon weakest part of their team is their midfield. Thats not a big or controversial statement. They have been able to get a gun to bolster it next year and address their issue of not having any real inside/contested midfielders.

That has nothing to do with our midfield or our club.

Essendon's midfield is the weakest part of their team, hence why Shiel is such a great get for them.
What does that have to do with our midfield?

well you said their midfield was weak. i disagree. you may think its the weakest part of their team but it doesn't mean its weak. also midfield implies inside and outside. i think they have some concerns on the inside stuff like contested ball, clearance etc. but i think their outside stuff is excellent. so no i dont think their midfield is "weak".

Heppell, merrett, parish, mcgrath, smith, Zaharakis with an up and coming inside mid like guelfi

i mean if that midfield is considered "weak" ours must be considered "non-existent"

add shiel to that and it looks pretty decent

R Bellchambers (yuck) Heppell Shiel
C Smith Merrett Zaharakis

that aint bad with Guelfi and Parish on the bench

Essendon's midfield is the weakest part of their team, hence why Shiel is such a great get for them.
What does that have to do with our midfield?

I think it's just that the midfield is more outside than inside but they certainly have lots of quality. If they were easy to deal with they would have traded one out for in inside bull.

Did anyone see Dildoro has accidentally posted a pick with Essendon's draft board in the background?

well you said their midfield was weak. i disagree. you may think its the weakest part of their team but it doesn't mean its weak. also midfield implies inside and outside. i think they have some concerns on the inside stuff like contested ball, clearance etc. but i think their outside stuff is excellent. so no i dont think their midfield is "weak".

Heppell, merrett, parish, mcgrath, smith, Zaharakis with an up and coming inside mid like guelfi

i mean if that midfield is considered "weak" ours must be considered "non-existent"

add shiel to that and it looks pretty decent

R Bellchambers (yuck) Heppell Shiel
C Smith Merrett Zaharakis

that aint bad with Guelfi and Parish on the bench

I think he means unbalanced which is fair but still high quality.

Some here hang shit on Ross for stuffing the list and for some reason think he isn't a good coach.

Fact of the matter is that we were contending during those years with facilities that were 2nd rate, and if not for a toepoke and bad bounce he would be a 2x St.Kilda premiership coach and we wouldn't give a shit how bad the list was afterwards.

It's laughable that people think he's no good because he didn't take us to a flag. He probably got as close to a flag as anyone in the history of the game, and the fact he was just short shouldn't discredit any of his prior work. It's ridiculous to even think like that.

Could say the same thing with Thommo, who got us to 2 prelims, if he had a better( stronger) Admin and Board around him, injuries may not of been so bad.
Ross imo is a decent coach, but he's had 3 GF appearances for 1 draw / 3 losses. He may of got the absolute from those sides but where did it leave those clubs afterwards, 8 years on and we are still no where and Freo is still a while away from contending and seemingly make every mistake St Kilda made along the way. There is more to coaching than the 22 on the field and that's Ross's biggest flaw. not saying he's bad but he has some pretty big ?? over his ability to develop young players.

Thanks for the stats there kernel.....I'd realized after I'd posted that I'd forgotten about 2016......as you say...that year for the Bombers was one that in all probability won't be repeated.....and as you say....can't be used for comparisons.

All things considered....Richo's win/loss record isn't good....the club is in a very unique situation where from the outside looking in,going into next season.......he's a dead coach walking.

I for one am praying that a stronger team of people around him will turn things around...…...and if that does happen....is it a result of the stronger team around him or due to Richo.

I suspect the former as what I have observed/listened to with Richo ...well......he doesn't fill me with any confidence.

I have no faith in Richo, we had an absolutely stinker of a year in which he proved that just like game day where we struggle to arrest run ons from the opposition, he was incapable of arresting the teams slide throughout the year. Both Clarko and Worsfold proved over the last 2 years that horrific form could be contained and reversed, we never saw it.

With a potentially easier draw, new and experienced senior assistants, can any team gain be attributed to Richo at all? Surely if he was blaming the assistants why has it taken 5 years for the changes to be made?. I just cant see where fault can not be apportioned at his feet, He is the leader, not only of the 43 players but of the coaching and support staff, the person directing our trading and drafting dept (for types of players and future game direction) and also the person who communicates to the admin about the condition of the footy dept.

I cant see Richo as the person we need, maybe a nice bloke, but has proven he isn't a good coach, and I haven't been provided with 1 iota of evidence that he is the right man to go forward.

Could say the same thing with Thommo, who got us to 2 prelims, if he had a better( stronger) Admin and Board around him, injuries may not of been so bad.
Ross imo is a decent coach, but he's had 3 GF appearances for 1 draw / 3 losses. He may of got the absolute from those sides but where did it leave those clubs afterwards, 8 years on and we are still no where and Freo is still a while away from contending and seemingly make every mistake St Kilda made along the way. There is more to coaching than the 22 on the field and that's Ross's biggest flaw. not saying he's bad but he has some pretty big ?? over his ability to develop young players.

I have no faith in Richo, we had an absolutely stinker of a year in which he proved that just like game day where we struggle to arrest run ons from the opposition, he was incapable of arresting the teams slide throughout the year. Both Clarko and Worsfold proved over the last 2 years that horrific form could be contained and reversed, we never saw it.

With a potentially easier draw, new and experienced senior assistants, can any team gain be attributed to Richo at all? Surely if he was blaming the assistants why has it taken 5 years for the changes to be made?. I just cant see where fault can not be apportioned at his feet, He is the leader, not only of the 43 players but of the coaching and support staff, the person directing our trading and drafting dept (for types of players and future game direction) and also the person who communicates to the admin about the condition of the footy dept.

I cant see Richo as the person we need, maybe a nice bloke, but has proven he isn't a good coach, and I haven't been provided with 1 iota of evidence that he is the right man to go forward.
Well I guess there is no such thing as a perfect coach, and if I were to choose going hell for leather for a 2nd flag I would do it every single time and would be content with the years after down the bottom of the ladder knowing we did it for a shot at something we may never ever get to experience.

Alan Richardson is not a senior coach. At best he is an assistant coach. The club knows this and knows they made a mistake resigning him. That is the reason they have brought in new coaching and leadership talent this year - because they know Richardson has none.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's just that the midfield is more outside than inside but they certainly have lots of quality. If they were easy to deal with they would have traded one out for in inside bull.

Did anyone see Dildoro has accidentally posted a pick with Essendon's draft board in the background?
There midfield is fine, but it wouldn't rank among the best in a league. Shiel helps them a lot with that inside grunt and they get a lot of support from their high half forwards and their speed off the backline is deadly. I also don't really rate Merret as a top midfielder, so it makes their midfield underwhelming on paper for me.

Well I guess there is no such thing as a perfect coach, and if I were to choose going hell for leather for a 2nd flag I would do it every single time and would be content with the years after down the bottom of the ladder knowing we did it for a shot at something we may never ever get to experience.

Don't get me wrong I loved 2009, 2010 not so much (spent 6 months in hosp.) I had standing room at the 97 GF, but the 09/10 years were better no doubt.
But as Geelong and Hawthorn have shown, the need to decimate the future in striving for the the goal was unnecessary.

alas, our club screwed up then just as it has now.

oh and sack Retcho

Bomber Thompson and Damien Hardwick looked gone and supporters wanted them out. They were kept and went on to win premierships.

Same situation with Buckley, who was just 3 points away from it.

I hope the same is true with Richardson, but I just don’t see it happening. We don’t see what happens inside the club, but he is uninspiring in any public commentary. Moreover, the team itself seemed to be devoid of confidence. More concerning, when I was at games I even watched players who seemed unwilling to work defensively.

Skill is one thing, but attitude reflects leadership.

I hope I’m off the mark with my opinion of Richardson. I hope we speak of this debate as they speak of Thompson, Hardwick and now Buckley. But in m the heart of hearts I believe he’ll be gone by the end of 2019.

fxqgm0.jpg

I reckon Richo for a guy who was meant to be a great teaching coach has been very quick to back some players like Newnes and never give others a chance. He wrote off all of Watters boys like Siposs, Lee, Markworth, Milera, Saad etc without giving them much chance while playing Newnes, Dunstan etc thinking they were an obvious upgrade. Some have worked out but he has pretty much kept a list that isn't quite a contender and hasn't made massive in roads.

I disagree with the blow outs, he does seem to have arrested the huge smashing we regularly got but has failed to bridge the gap between us and the best teams. His game plan is limited to hardworking and grind with not much room for flair or front running. His best game style is run and gun that hides out skill deficiency but is really tiring and when the results go against us can expose us to dropping the work rate off.

Hopefully a few new ideas from the new coaches can make Richo into something a bit more multi dimensional and having more coaches with experience might mean we get some more individual mentoring to grow the fringe players.

Richo sems to pigeon hole players and never tries them in new positions. Savage had one or two games on a wing and never got another go. With so many HBF players surely he's worth another go. His weapons perfectly suit a wing. Otherwise drop Webster in there, he plays loose so make it a tool rather than a deficiency.

I reckon Richo for a guy who was meant to be a great teaching coach has been very quick to back some players like Newnes and never give others a chance. He wrote off all of Watters boys like Siposs, Lee, Markworth, Milera, Saad etc without giving them much chance while playing Newnes, Dunstan etc thinking they were an obvious upgrade. Some have worked out but he has pretty much kept a list that isn't quite a contender and hasn't made massive in roads.

I disagree with the blow outs, he does seem to have arrested the huge smashing we regularly got but has failed to bridge the gap between us and the best teams. His game plan is limited to hardworking and grind with not much room for flair or front running. His best game style is run and gun that hides out skill deficiency but is really tiring and when the results go against us can expose us to dropping the work rate off.

Hopefully a few new ideas from the new coaches can make Richo into something a bit more multi dimensional and having more coaches with experience might mean we get some more individual mentoring to grow the fringe players.

Richo sems to pigeon hole players and never tries them in new positions. Savage had one or two games on a wing and never got another go. With so many HBF players surely he's worth another go. His weapons perfectly suit a wing. Otherwise drop Webster in there, he plays loose so make it a tool rather than a deficiency.
Agree with pretty much all of this except for the notion of him having Dunstan as a pet and gifting him games!
In my view it is the complete opposite with him and guys like him and Acres, Lonie, Sinclair, Rice and Wight.
He has eroded the confidence of these boys at different times only to constantly favor underperformers like
Newnes, Weller, Gilbo and he's very personal favourite the untouchable Ross! Who did deserve to be dropped
a couple of times last season! Your spot on about his lack of imagination when it comes to playing to our players
strengths and positions! We could go on all day about his inadequacies as a tactician!

But for me the most galling failure of his is for his so called reputation as a developer of young talent he is the
absolute pits when it comes to this and also the most basic thing a good coach needs to have is presence and respect
from the players and his ability to motivate which from what i can see is non existent!

It really pains me to see a bloke so far out of his depth sinking our club further and further into the mire!

Bomber Thompson and Damien Hardwick looked gone and supporters wanted them out. They were kept and went on to win premierships.

Same situation with Buckley, who was just 3 points away from it.

I hope the same is true with Richardson, but I just don’t see it happening. We don’t see what happens inside the club, but he is uninspiring in any public commentary. Moreover, the team itself seemed to be devoid of confidence. More concerning, when I was at games I even watched players who seemed unwilling to work defensively.

Skill is one thing, but attitude reflects leadership.

I hope I’m off the mark with my opinion of Richardson. I hope we speak of this debate as they speak of Thompson, Hardwick and now Buckley. But in m the heart of hearts I believe he’ll be gone by the end of 2019.
Bomber Thompson was on crack.

If ever a coach had no plan B it was Thommo.

Built the list and game plan around the Lions era. Roos changed that in 2005, with great input from Lyon.

2004 was probably the one that got away IMO.

Richo lacks a brain for critical & considered thinking. A basic mind that struggles to think outside of the square. He doesn’t make moves to win games nor does he make moves to save games. He stands still & hopes the team wins. Essentially, the team are coach-less & cannot rely on the head coach to influence the result prior to & during games. Absolutely out of his depth & unfortunately next year is already wasted if we go into round 1 with the Cho as head coach!

If ever a coach had no plan B it was Thommo.

Built the list and game plan around the Lions era. Roos changed that in 2005, with great input from Lyon.

2004 was probably the one that got away IMO.
HOW ****ING DARE YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back