Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the AFL's 6/6/6 fixture guideline (while also being somewhat realistic) Id like to see us get double ups against - Carlton, Bulldogs, Fremantle, GWS & Hawthorn
I was reading an article on Fox footy yesterday which stated that we had a ridiculously hard double up set of games this season for where we finished at the end of 2017.

Surely we won't get that type of draw again....you'd hope !

There should have been a flag with the group GT had.
Agreed there Saint Shags....2004 was the one that got away.

2005 was a stellar year but injury crippled us late in the home and away...…...from memory...the Game at Freo killed us....we were going down like nine pins.

I'm pretty sure we were very banged up after the Prelim against the Swans……...we would have had quite a few unavailable if we made it thru to the big dance the next week.

GT had a 10x better list mate. Poor comparison.

GT built the list he had. Richo would have had a say along with Trout in what we went for. Together they blew the drafting and trading. Coaches are stewards of the list and unfortunately he's not left the list much better than when he started and much worse for top end talent. He's been a disappointing coach. He's got one last chance at it though and who knows miracles may occur.

Depends what your view is be it the short term unsustainable success or the longer term.

If we suck next year. It would have been 3 wasted seasons due to inaction.

If he makes finals next year because of an easy draw we could go backwards again the years after.

Personally I wish we sacked him last year and then we wouldn't have wasted so many off seasons.
I think we sing the same tune. Should have gone end of last year. Didn’t, so expectations are going to be the same. No
One wishes we’ll be crap, but hard to argue reason why we won’t. Therefore if we are, solve the problem as quickly as possible.

And some of us who called for a calm and measured approach and didn't fall into line were ridiculed as being Richo defenders and apologists for the club.

LMAO. The so called exodus never happened.

Just goes to show that you don't make decisions based on rumour and speculation from people with alleged insider knowledge.

Funny as.

Let's see how 2019 plays out.

I wouldn't get cocky though, some people might or might not have inside knowledge and the disaster they portrayed didn't happen, that doesn't mean everything is fine either. Like running across a freeway, it does make it safe just because you made it once. I'm pretty sure if we repeat 2018 then there will be some wanting out. The clubs don't make decisions on rumour, they will know its career saving time for a whole lot of people there.

I was reading an article on Fox footy yesterday which stated that we had a ridiculously hard double up set of games this season for where we finished at the end of 2017.

Surely we won't get that type of draw again....you'd hope !
It also said that we always get the statistically worst fixture of any club... by quite a margin.

That isn't about to change.

GT built the list he had. Richo would have had a say along with Trout in what we went for. Together they blew the drafting and trading. Coaches are stewards of the list and unfortunately he's not left the list much better than when he started and much worse for top end talent. He's been a disappointing coach. He's got one last chance at it though and who knows miracles may occur.

Sorry but for the most part GT did not build that team. The core nucleus had been there before.
Had just come off of having 1 and 2 in the draft. And was getting Pick 2 in his first draft as coach and got lucky the next year with grabbing Pick 1 when Carlton got pinged.
He already had the likes of Harvey Lenny Max Fraser Sammy etc.

Sorry but for the most part GT did not build that team. The core nucleus had been there before.
Had just come off of having 1 and 2 in the draft. And was getting Pick 2 in his first draft as coach and got lucky the next year with grabbing Pick 1 when Carlton got pinged.
He already had the likes of Harvey Lenny Max Fraser Sammy etc.

He was involved before he coached. Seeing Blighty was on the golf course I reckon he gets credit for building up the list.

He was involved before he coached. Seeing Blighty was on the golf course I reckon he gets credit for building up the list.

That's just rewriting history to suit the opinion. There were only 2 kids that were ever going P1 and P2 in the 2000 draft. Roo and Kosi.
Sammy and Fraser came on the back of Blight.
Loewe Burke Harvey Thompson Max Lenny were already there.
Just those form a pretty formidable nucleus.

That's just rewriting history to suit the opinion. There were only 2 kids that were ever going P1 and P2 in the 2000 draft. Roo and Kosi.
Sammy and Fraser came on the back of Blight.
Loewe Burke Harvey Thompson Max Lenny were already there.
Just those form a pretty formidable nucleus.

Richo had Rooey, Dal, Joey, Milne, Gwilt etc. he chose to off load his guys. Thomas was director of football and appointed Blight and Watson. He directed the list strategy I imagine. Bevo was the recruiter but Thomo was a control freak who would have been pretty dictatorial I imagine. He actually was an assistant under Alves for a year too, He got crucified by the media but he went okay for a spud.

Unless a miracle happens, I give it until round 12 at the latest. Welcome Sir Rats.
It's not really that bad an idea. Give Ratten a bedding in period before the reins get passed to him, if Richo somehow turns it around then great, if he maintains his trajectory, jettison him ASAP contract wise and let Ratten rule.

There surely won't be many players who will be unsuited for the Ratten era by that stage, they'll all be used to him. Hopefully the transition can be seamless and no one can really complain they were hard done by.

Newnes and a few others may be extra keen to impress the new head coach before the 2019 trade period plans get drawn up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Diehard......it will be extremely interesting to see how things pan out next year.

You can't help but wonder if Ratts was chosen with the above in mind.

As Joffaboy said above....Richo is the coach for next year......he's been backed in by the club....and very strongly at that.

Richo as we all know does and says some strange things at times...…..I can't help but feel Lade and Ratts will be in his ear at times......maybe a lot of the time.

Richo knows he's "on notice" and he'd be absolutely crazy not to listen/take on board at times the things those 2 will be telling/suggesting to him.

I can't help but feel that in itself will be a big plus for next season.
Plus, the assistant coaches spend way more time with the players and have more day-to-day influence over them than the senior coach does. Fresh assistants, especially one the calibre of Ratts, should have a huge impact in the group.

Richo had Rooey, Dal, Joey, Milne, Gwilt etc. he chose to off load his guys. Thomas was director of football and appointed Blight and Watson. He directed the list strategy I imagine. Bevo was the recruiter but Thomo was a control freak who would have been pretty dictatorial I imagine. He actually was an assistant under Alves for a year too, He got crucified by the media but he went okay for a spud.

Dal was gone by the time Richo was made coach.
Milne retired along with Kosi and Blake at the end of 2013.
Gwilt played 26 games for the bombers in 2015 and 2016.

To compare the list of what GT had when he walked in to the list that Richo had is naivete at best.
GT cruelled some of our brightest players. Playing them injured. Kosi, Ball. Medical services alright. And he wondered why the umps had it in for him.

Depends on lots of things.

Have a good year next year and belief grows within the group. Belief also grows outside of the club in trying to getting other talent in the door which then filters into the following season.
Belief also allows us to keep a hold of players that might look elsewhere if we were to have a shit year.

Personally I want us to be successful. Not hope we suck for a year and then believe that everything will change for the better after that.

given the clubs attitude to what is an under performing senior coach, i doubt thats goint to happen anytime soon.

you want to be successful then someone like richo would have been removed last season. his performance would not have been tolerated.

but alas here we are. going to take years to turn this around. to do that the attitude has to change.

given the clubs attitude to what is an under performing senior coach, i doubt thats goint to happen anytime soon.

you want to be successful then someone like richo would have been removed last season. his performance would not have been tolerated.

but alas here we are. going to take years to turn this around. to do that the attitude has to change.

Agreed

I'm tired of blind faith. We haven't played finals for 7 years straight. It's time the club got their shit together.

I wouldn't get cocky though, some people might or might not have inside knowledge and the disaster they portrayed didn't happen, that doesn't mean everything is fine either. Like running across a freeway, it does make it safe just because you made it once. I'm pretty sure if we repeat 2018 then there will be some wanting out. The clubs don't make decisions on rumour, they will know its career saving time for a whole lot of people there.
Who's getting cocky?

Agreed

I'm tired of blind faith. We haven't played finals for 7 years straight. It's time the club got their shit together.

exactly

we've been whinging about a poor stadium deal and lack of marque games for years and years.

AFL finally comes to the party with giving us a genuine marque game and a much better stadium deal and what did we do? completely ****ed it.

didn't take advantage of the new stadium deal and did everything in our power to ensure we are not considered for another marque game in recent years.

you want a successful club well the attitude has to change.

Who's getting cocky?

Your like a guy who wins the sweepstakes at work and think they are a racing expert bro. Giving the run down of the form guide and handing out tips. :)

With Lethlean coming in it appears that things are starting to change for the better, however regarding the Richo situation and when he actually started, I think his hands are pretty much tied....for the moment.

Meanwhile the Saints have another wasted year
And us tragics all get a little older!

Everyone around the club understands it's really just a year
seen as writeoff because doubt anyone Finnis included
thinks he will survive past next year!

So don't think the players won't know that either and will
have yet another season where we will not have all forces moving together
again so it's highly doubtful we will be at our best!

Until this playing list gets a fresh vision, gameplan and someone
who might just be able to develop and motivate we at best will just treadwater!

I say screw the media and the critics and all the flak that will come our way
for doing it now but it still beats the hell out of another year lost!

The way this comp has been behaving the last 3 years...This is the era where
if the right pieces and people fall into place anything is possible within pretty much most
teams and we need to get our shit together fast!

Don't subscribe to the theory that we are at least 3 yrs away!
She's a funny game Footy and it's amazing what a fresh scene of togetherness
with a vision can do for any team! Which is why i'm loathe for us to just right off
another year before it even begins with the freckle in charge!
+1 2019 will be a wasted year because we didn't have the balls to do what was needed to be done, crowd attendance was down 18 % this year, membership and crowds will take a huge hit next year

Last edited:
exactly

we've been whinging about a poor stadium deal and lack of marque games for years and years.

AFL finally comes to the party with giving us a genuine marque game and a much better stadium deal and what did we do? completely ****** it.

didn't take advantage of the new stadium deal and did everything in our power to ensure we are not considered for another marque game in recent years.

I don't think we've been under any pressure because as far as Finnis and co knew we were going fine. Memberships were good and they were getting heard by the AFL. A little pressure never hurt in AFL. The Dogs won a premiership after embarrassing themselves by losing their captain and infighting ripping them apart. Went and paid stupid money for Boyd too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back