insainiac63

Debutant
Jan 29, 2002
Doncaster
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Eddie mentioned at the end of EMT tonight about a new Collingwood club show starting this week on Fox Footy.
Called 'The Club', it runs from 9:00-9:30pm AEST on Wednesday night.

According to Foxtel's TV guide, this is the description :

"A NEW BOOK : The Club is an inner sanctum look at the Collingwood Football Club. We hear Mick Malthouse's final emotional address and go inside the mind of his successor Nathan Buckley. Also, Strauchnie drops in on the club photo.'

Maybe the title is a reference to the classic play/movie 'The Club' which although not officially about the Pies, featured us heavily.

Either way, should be good viewing each week.
Incidentally, Essendon also have their own show.

Eddie mentioned at the end of EMT tonight about a new Collingwood club show starting this week on Fox Footy.
Called 'The Club', it runs from 9:00-9:30pm AEST on Wednesday night.

According to Foxtel's TV guide, this is the description :

"A NEW BOOK : The Club is an inner sanctum look at the Collingwood Football Club. We hear Mick Malthouse's final emotional address and go inside the mind of his successor Nathan Buckley. Also, Strauchnie drops in on the club photo.'

Maybe the title is a reference to the classic play/movie 'The Club' which although not officially about the Pies, featured us heavily.

Either way, should be good viewing each week.
Incidentally, Essendon also have their own show.

Will it be also on CTV

The people who own and operate Foxtel don't appreciate the general public receiving free content. So the answer is most likely no.

Well that would Bloody Suck as it was on it last year

Well that would Bloody Suck as it was on it last year

I hear ya. However the club probably feels that the positives outweigh the negatives.

For instance the people that log on to watch it online are Collingwood through and through like me and you and we'll buy memberships to support the club come what may. Whereas using the fox footy platform the club are able to connect with a larger audience and potentially extend our reach.

We only have one rival airing a show so if you're new to the game and turn the channel over to fox footy there's a 50/50 choice you'll be hit with all things Collingwood, but online you have access to each clubs content. If it results in an extra 1000 memberships I guess its a success, but time will tell.

FWIW I'm sure there'll be ways to gain access to it without paying....

The people who own and operate Foxtel don't appreciate the general public receiving free content. So the answer is most likely no.

It probably depends on who is producing it.

If it's a CFC media production, and they're giving it to Fox to run instead of the home shopping show or a repeat of a VFL game from round 6, 1983 - well, there's a good chance it'll appear on CTV as well.

Can't we just put the whole Strauchnie thing to bed? If it was ever funny it certainly isn't now.. Absolutely cringeworthy.

Can't we just put the whole Strauchnie thing to bed? If it was ever funny it certainly isn't now.. Absolutely cringeworthy.
x2.:thumbsu:

Looking forward to this though, it seems like more of a Foxtel run production though.

I was expecting it more to be like the "In Black and White Tonight" shows Chrisso and Licca were doing on CTV last year.

I just can't see how you can get 6 months of weekly footage of "inside the club", surely after this week it will revert to a panel type showing talking about the clubs upcoming game.:confused:

I saw that show called 2 hours on Saturday night before the NAB Cup Grand Final,it showed Mlathouse's pre adddress before the Grand Final and the address of the players after the Grand Final loss.

These excerpts may be played on the show called the club.Riveting stuff!

It was a stirring and emotional speech but we still lost ! Why?

They interviewed a few players after each quarter of the Grand Final,they spoke to Harry and Dawes,Dawes new he let the team down that day.

They interviewed Harry O and he said that when Podsiadly went down he and the players thought at that stage we would run away with it.

Then Hawkins stepped up and geelong resuffled their Forward line,and Harry said that when they changed their game plan,we didn't react right away that's what swung the momentum .We were too slow to react.

During the three quarter break,Varcoe said that he saw,a few of our players with hands on their hips and afew sitting down,then the Cats new we were tired and they could go and win it which they did.
I mean liittle things like when they sopke to Steve Johnson,he said he was riddled with pain but played with injections,if Harry had sacrificed his game and sat on Johnson,he would not have kicked the goals he did.
If that was a Hawthorn playing Geelong,they would have smashed those players,especially knowing that they were injured.

You see all we had to do was stop Hawkins,and Johnson as soon as changes were made,that would have killed Geelong's momentum,so Malthouse being slow to react cost us a flag!

We will all see how quick to react Buckley will be,not like Malthouse!

I still believe we handed Geelong a flag on a platter,and by golly we must learn from this!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as Malthouse turned around our club and gave us a premiership... His reaction time to tactical changes has always been his flaw IMO. It drove my Grandfather and I nuts for the last decade!

I hope the boys are using that loss as motivation this year, cos if we don't win another flag in the next 3-4 years we haven't really taken advantage of this list. Which is the best I've seen in my time as a pies supporter (Born 1986)

As much as Malthouse turned around our club and gave us a premiership... His reaction time to tactical changes has always been his flaw IMO. It drove my Grandfather and I nuts for the last decade!

I hope the boys are using that loss as motivation this year, cos if we don't win another flag in the next 3-4 years we haven't really taken advantage of this list. Which is the best I've seen in my time as a pies supporter (Born 1986)

I use to say if we where getting beaten Easily it would not Change as Mick would do Nothing.

Changed a little bit last 2 seasons but when he did it 9 out of 10 Times it was WAY to late

"Pies, Dons, AFL enter new TV age" - The Age

AS COLLINGWOOD prepares to launch its own television show, club chief executive Gary Pert has revealed he was approached last year by networks wanting to broadcast only Magpies matches.

The changing face of the football media industry continues apace with Pert also disclosing plans to have a Collingwood-only channel on pay television, while AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has confirmed he wants the league to launch its own television channel online when the National Broadband Network is rolled out.

An AFL online channel, introduced possibly as early as 2017, would mirror the version owned by the National Football League in the United States, which broadcasts some games exclusively. This would also give the AFL the chance to produce its own commercials and programs.

Advertisement: Story continues below The Magpies will unveil their own show, The Club, on Fox Footy tomorrow night, a half-hour program that will show behind-the-scenes footage, including Mick Malthouse's stirring post-match address to his players and staff after last year's grand final defeat. He used this address to tell his players for the first time he would not stay at the club.

Essendon has also taken the plunge into the new-media age, unveiling its own show on Fox Footy, The Hangar, to be shown at 9.30pm on Wednesday nights.

Pert said the Magpies' magazine-type show would begin in a 30-minute format, at a cost of $500,000 for the season, morph into an hour-long production and most likely be the seed of a Magpies-only channel.

He told The Age the Magpies would never withdraw from being a part of the AFL's overall broadcast rights deal - despite opportunities already opening up.

''Collingwood games are always going to be a part of the broader industry because it requires all clubs to leverage off the maximum result,'' he said yesterday.

''Collingwood and some other larger clubs could do their own deals and we have had media companies come and talk to us. We have had broadcasters as part of the last broadcast rights deal say we only want to do Collingwood games.

''Collingwood could do that and financially it would just be a huge windfall, but we would never do it because it would have a major impact on the industry and that would be inappropriate.''

Pert has been to English Premier League club Arsenal to analyse how it operates its television network.

He said a Collingwood-only network would not affect Foxtel and the millions of dollars it has poured into sharing the broadcast rights with Network Seven.

''They are a broadcast partner. The dynamics of the relationship [are] we do have a contract with them now which is an AFL contract,'' Pert said.

''If it went to an hour, if it went to a whole day, all it would be is a slightly different version of it. It's still their show.

''The ultimate goal for us is to have a full station for Collingwood supporters. From a Fox Footy point of view, as a pay television network, they would support it and it would be fantastic.''

He said the Magpies would use The Club to break news and denied this would be filtered, particularly if the story was negative and harmful to the club's brand.

The Magpies have 75,000 members, but Pert hopes the new show will help tap into what he said are the 1.5 million supporters the club has in Australia and overseas.

The $1.25 billion broadcast rights deal expires in 2016. Pert said it was too early for the AFL to contemplate having its own online channel through the NBN as technologies rapidly change.

''He [Demetriou] evaluates things on the numbers today, the technologies today, the options today,'' Pert said.

''There is no doubt it's a responsibility of the AFL to explore all options. But the options will change within the next few months, let alone the next few years while we are in this broadcast agreement.''

Demetriou told the Australian Financial Review it had plans to roll out its own online channel.

''The NBN world will be interesting,'' he said.

''We could sell straight to the punters. I think regardless of your politics, a world with a NBN in it has to be positive. And it will certainly help the AFL.''

Demetriou said the online channel would not affect the league's $100 million deal with Telstra, which owns the AFL's internet and mobile phone TV rights.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-new-tv-age-20120319-1vfu7.html#ixzz1pcJ9LOpl

Re: "Pies, Dons, AFL enter new TV age" - The Age

A channel would be awesome.

I don't really like the idea of doing our own TV deals though, even Pert says it'd be "inappropriate". A prime example is the Spanish LA Liga where Real Madrid and Barcelona do their own deals...

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just post the link and a quote in the thread you'd already started about the show lol?

I'm just a confused guy, I often do things that bemuse myself and others.

A Collingwood only channel? Geez. Not too surprising that 7 would only want to broadcast Collingwood games, shame the AFL won't let the club negotiate it's own broadcasting rights, it would be a massive windfall.

A Collingwood only channel? Geez. Not too surprising that 7 would only want to broadcast Collingwood games, shame the AFL won't let the club negotiate it's own broadcasting rights, it would be a massive windfall.
That will never happen, the AFL want to run the league like a communist state, that is that all clubs are equal and no one club has more money then the rest of the competition.

Thankfully we live in a democratic, or free world country, and therefore the little shits at the AFL can't hold us back too much.

I'd say our channel will start off as an internet only channel to start with, but with every new television having access to the internet in a few short years, internet channels will compete with the commercial channels anyway.

Eventually we will have control of much of our own content, and maybe even one day have some control of game day content, which would lead to a massive windfall.:thumbsu: Although I can't see us ever having total control over our matches and when and where they are telecast, the AFL is too internally protective, and in want of an equalised competition to allow that.

I want the club to prosper as much as anyone else, but I'm glad the AFL won't allow clubs to negotiate broadcasting rights individually.

That will never happen, the AFL want to run the league like a communist state, that is that all clubs are equal and no one club has more money then the rest of the competition.

Thankfully we live in a democratic, or free world country, and therefore the little shits at the AFL can't hold us back too much.

I'd say our channel will start off as an internet only channel to start with, but with every new television having access to the internet in a few short years, internet channels will compete with the commercial channels anyway.

Eventually we will have control of much of our own content, and maybe even one day have some control of game day content, which would lead to a massive windfall.:thumbsu: Although I can't see us ever having total control over our matches and when and where they are telecast, the AFL is too internally protective, and in want of an equalised competition to allow that.

How would a Internet Channel Work and why can't they start it now?

Remove this Banner Ad

'The Club' - Collingwood show on FOX Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back