Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a bit like when Bill and Ted were arguing over whether or not they need to become famous to recruit Eddie Van Halen, or if they should recruit Eddie Van Halen to get famous. Chickens and eggs.

Coaching clearly an issue and ultimately it is their responsibility to make the team function but our forwards are dumb. Crowding the same space, leaping for the same ball, weak at the contest. Fritsch, Pickett, our two best forwards also guilty of horrific entries, they should know better.

I hate to say this because I've been a fan of his ever since I was a kid, but what is Chocco bringing to the table? Meant to be in charge of player development & skills isn't he? Both are a disaster. Might be time for him to enjoy a well earned retirement.
True. But what's any of them bringing to the table? Wtf does Richardson do? Stafford and that F50? Terrible. McQualter has turned our midfield from a top 4 midfield to a bottom 4 midfield. And Goody? Team selections poor, game day poor. Media poor.

But yeah Choco is cooked I reckon. Skills are deplorable.

It's a bit like when Bill and Ted were arguing over whether or not they need to become famous to recruit Eddie Van Halen, or if they should recruit Eddie Van Halen to get famous. Chickens and eggs.

Coaching clearly an issue and ultimately it is their responsibility to make the team function but our forwards are dumb. Crowding the same space, leaping for the same ball, weak at the contest. Fritsch, Pickett, our two best forwards also guilty of horrific entries, they should know better.
It's the perfect storm of s* really. Mids who can't hit targets and make dumb decisions mixed with forwards who have no direction or talent.

You’d think Goodwin would be in the same league as Idi ‘Big Daddy’ Amin the way some people are posting.

‘It’s time to go’. He isn’t going anywhere. Since the premiership they’re finished top 4 after the regular season and been in seriously good positions at times to make a PF (minimum). The reason we lost the QF last year was F50 entries (standard) and an inability to connect and score. Steven May was on point by saying they were better than Collingwood. They were as good last year. We’ve cost ourselves but the bones is there.

I agree that there needs to be a big shake up off season, but the core is still there. If we re-engineer our approach and move on some assistants and develop something that has a better functioning F50 then there’s no reason we can’t have another crack next year.

In Goodwin, he isn’t getting sacked. He just isn’t. I’d be bitterly disappointed if nothing happens over the off season but I think the off field will push for that if we don’t make the 8. We need to not play finals. Need a huge wake up call. But sacking Goodwin isn’t happening with his contract and the fact this is our worst year in 4 that has netted a flag and top 4 after the season regular twice.

You’d think Goodwin would be in the same league as Idi ‘Big Daddy’ Amin the way some people are posting.

‘It’s time to go’. He isn’t going anywhere. Since the premiership they’re finished top 4 after the regular season and been in seriously good positions at times to make a PF (minimum). The reason we lost the QF last year was F50 entries (standard) and an inability to connect and score. Steven May was on point by saying they were better than Collingwood. They were as good last year. We’ve cost ourselves but the bones is there.

I agree that there needs to be a big shake up off season, but the core is still there. If we re-engineer our approach and move on some assistants and develop something that has a better functioning F50 then there’s no reason we can’t have another crack next year.

In Goodwin, he isn’t getting sacked. He just isn’t. I’d be bitterly disappointed if nothing happens over the off season but I think the off field will push for that if we don’t make the 8. We need to not play finals. Need a huge wake up call. But sacking Goodwin isn’t happening with his contract and the fact this is our worst year in 4 that has netted a flag and top 4 after the season regular twice.

Nah honestly, are you being held captive by the Melbourne Football Club? Keen to help you if I can.

Nah honestly, are you being held captive by the Melbourne Football Club? Keen to help you if I can.
Are you serious? It’s wonderfully bright how you’ve deduced that from me saying;

1. The MFC won’t sack him
2. We need a big change (missing finals) to force a bigger off field change

And you’ve gone with sarcasm and the notion I’ve drunk the kool aid.

Clap. Clap, clap.

Are you serious? It’s wonderfully bright how you’ve deduced that from me saying;

1. The MFC won’t sack him
2. We need a big change (missing finals) to force a bigger off field change

And you’ve gone with sarcasm and the notion I’ve drunk the kool aid.

Clap. Clap, clap.
Didnt mean to go the man, I apologise. We all support the club in different ways and at the end of the day we're all just a bunch of nobodies talking shit on the internet.

I kind of agree that he won't be sacked. Our board isn't the type to grow balls and do something like that whether we think they should or not. I think the best bet is for him to walk away and potentially land another job(Adelaide). The Crows gig could be open soon enough. And if that's the case, he would be a candidate surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt mean to go the man, I apologise. We all support the club in different ways and at the end of the day we're all just a bunch of nobodies talking shit on the internet.
It’s all good. I get the frustrations. We are shit and we shouldn’t be. I just feel the club won’t sack him because he really has had one year of underperforming post premiership. You could label 22 and 23 as busts but we finished H&A top 4.

However, the hammer needs to come down on him and the assistants. It would be nice not to have him locked into 2026.

I kind of agree that he won't be sacked. Our board isn't the type to grow balls and do something like that whether we think they should or not. I think the best bet is for him to walk away and potentially land another job(Adelaide). The Crows gig could be open soon enough. And if that's the case, he would be a candidate surely.
Yeah he would. I think an off field shake up is in order starting with assistants, football operations (whatever that is).

As much as I'm shitty at the club- I'm fairly sure the last game I've attended was 2022, and I've barely watched us this year- he's clearly got the rest of the year to turn it around. For better or for worse.

Weak for apologising. Apologise for apologising.

I think we are all pretty annoyed right now and yeah there is some strong rhetoric around sacking Goody. The reality is unless he is found to be grossly negligent or unacceptable behaviour he is more than likely going to see out the vast majority of his contact.

Sorry, I know that doesn't make it better.

I'm resigned to seeing us crap again for years.

I think we are all pretty annoyed right now and yeah there is some strong rhetoric around sacking Goody. The reality is unless he is found to be grossly negligent or unacceptable behaviour he is more than likely going to see out the vast majority of his contact.

Sorry, I know that doesn't make it better.

I'm resigned to seeing us crap again for years.

I agree this is how it will likely play out since the board have shown absolutely no sign of being able to make a tough decision unless it involves protecting their own positions.

But you can’t get a lot more grossly negligent than failing to win a final the 3 years after winning a flag, which is what we’re on track to do. Especially when he missed all the warning signs that the average supporter could clearly see

I agree this is how it will likely play out since the board have shown absolutely no sign of being able to make a tough decision unless it involves protecting their own positions.

But you can’t get a lot more grossly negligent than failing to win a final the 3 years after winning a flag, which is what we’re on track to do. Especially when he missed all the warning signs that the average supporter could clearly see
I reckon his approach with Gus' concussions & Trac's ruptured spleen & punctured lung have to count for something.

This whole resilience thing is really starting to grind my gears. It's the old 'work people til you break then if you're broken you're weak' approach. It's not tough, it's dumb.

Last edited:
The coach is a ****ing dunce.

It's all good if you're Ted Lasso and you are comfortable with having smart people around you to deal with the fact you have no ****ing idea how to coach. Simon aint that guy.

The main tried to institute a ****ing zone that was permanently one 15 metre run away from being ****ed right up until he moved out of the coaches box, where it should have been most obvious that his ideal positioning was comically bad, into coaching from the bench. All of a sudden, Simon isn't in the room and we started not setting up 2 seconds from failure at all times. If there's a better flag colour than red here, I dunno.

More broadly, his original vision of how to work around his star inside midfield from the start was just spectacularly ****ing dumb. you've got the best ruck in the game, Viney and two incredible young bulls in Trac and Oliver. What do you do? Crowd the contest with an outnumber or two until it became a shitfight so nobody can get a useful one on one win.

We spent the entire tenure until this season wasting a generational kicking talent at full back by rote bombing the ball to at best a 50/50 contest at left half-back at every single kickout. Just ****ing low-hanging lazy and stupid stuff. What an exemplar for not doing any creative running there. Well done, Simon.

There's a bunch of other obvious stuff like centre bounce setups that seem like everyone has planned for except for our team and the Bulldogs in 21, the forward line that I can't put an adjective to that I would be proud to produce in polite company, not ever having a plan for any curbing any star player, but who ****ing cares, the club are happy with being clowned on the regular. This is our brand.

The coach is a ****ing dunce.

It's all good if you're Ted Lasso and you are comfortable with having smart people around you to deal with the fact you have no ****ing idea how to coach. Simon aint that guy.

The main tried to institute a ****ing zone that was permanently one 15 metre run away from being ****ed right up until he moved out of the coaches box, where it should have been most obvious that his ideal positioning was comically bad, into coaching from the bench. All of a sudden, Simon isn't in the room and we started not setting up 2 seconds from failure at all times. If there's a better flag colour than red here, I dunno.

More broadly, his original vision of how to work around his star inside midfield from the start was just spectacularly ****ing dumb. you've got the best ruck in the game, Viney and two incredible young bulls in Trac and Oliver. What do you do? Crowd the contest with an outnumber or two until it became a shitfight so nobody can get a useful one on one win.

We spent the entire tenure until this season wasting a generational kicking talent at full back by rote bombing the ball to at best a 50/50 contest at left half-back at every single kickout. Just ****ing low-hanging lazy and stupid stuff. What an exemplar for not doing any creative running there. Well done, Simon.

There's a bunch of other obvious stuff like centre bounce setups that seem like everyone has planned for except for our team and the Bulldogs in 21, the forward line that I can't put an adjective to that I would be proud to produce in polite company, not ever having a plan for any curbing any star player, but who ****ing cares, the club are happy with being clowned on the regular. This is our brand.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back