Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to say this because I've been a fan of his ever since I was a kid, but what is Chocco bringing to the table? Meant to be in charge of player development & skills isn't he? Both are a disaster. Might be time for him to enjoy a well earned retirement.

Fair shout this. He and Stafford should be under (almost) as much pressure as Goody.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No trac, possibly no lever, Fat Oliver, newspaper angry about handshakes, team horribly out of form...

BIG THIRTY POINT STATEMENT WIN against North Melbourne Kangaroo coming up!!!

Pickett should be a star instead of a player who will kick 3 or 4 once every 7-8 weeks. We won't be satisfied til JVR is Chris Dawes. Fritsch should be a 60 a year goal kicker. Trac should be a Heeney/Martin. That should easily be enough build a top 4 forward line around.

People knocking Chandler instead of coaching are weird, he always plays well in the rare games we move the ball well. Put him on Sydney and he's 5x the player he is with us. ANB is too good for this coaching group, they dont deserve him. I said getting McAdam wouldn't do shit, he thrives when given space to operate in and lead as a small full forward, similar to how we used Fristch in the grand final.

If you're a free agent forward you'd be mad to come here.

Last edited:
Change "Sack" to "Sue". It was negligent.
Compromise Shrug GIF

While we are sinking the boot in, I will sink one into the captain.
The coaches and Max should be grooming a replacement.
Max won't last forever.
That means 2 rucks.

Pickett should be a star instead of a player who will kick 3 or 4 once every 7-8 weeks. We won't be satisfied til JVR is Chris Dawes. Fritsch should be a 60 a year goal kicker. Trac should be a Heeney/Martin. That should be easily be enough build a top 4 forward line around.

People knocking Chandler instead of coaching are weird, he always plays well in the rare games we move the ball well. Put him on Sydney and he's 5x the player he is with us. ANB is too good for this coaching group, they dont deserve him. I said getting McAdam wouldn't do shit, he thrives when given space to operate in and lead as a small full forward, similar to how we should be used Fristch in the grand final.

yep i couldn't agree more, there's plenty to work with there if we had a decent gameplan that involves moving the ball quickly into the F50.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

With the Melbourne coaching group, this has become:
Handshake your enemies, see them score before you, and eat the lamingtons of their women.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Goodwin said it was "standard practice". **** off.
Just like it's standard practice to rush guys back from injury with no VFL games and pick Petty as a forward and Sparrow every week.

He is riding this team into the ground like Hardwick did Richmond then he's ****ing off to Adelaide. Can see it already.

Sack everybody who signed off on him going back out there immediately.

This is so disgusting. Goody has rushed guys back since his first year, he gives no ****s about players health. We are lucky we won the 2021 GF because imagine if Naughton killed us and it came out we’d knowingly played May with a torn hammy?

Geelong win was alright I thought. Back to back wins in Adelaide decent.

Wheels have well and truly fallen off since then.
I remember being concerned at the time at the goalless last quarter in the game against Adelaide despite the win, that it was a crack showing

Pickett should be a star instead of a player who will kick 3 or 4 once every 7-8 weeks. We won't be satisfied til JVR is Chris Dawes. Fritsch should be a 60 a year goal kicker. Trac should be a Heeney/Martin. That should easily be enough build a top 4 forward line around.

People knocking Chandler instead of coaching are weird, he always plays well in the rare games we move the ball well. Put him on Sydney and he's 5x the player he is with us. ANB is too good for this coaching group, they dont deserve him. I said getting McAdam wouldn't do shit, he thrives when given space to operate in and lead as a small full forward, similar to how we should be used Fristch in the grand final.

Pickett needs to stop going for the mark of the year every time the ball comes into the forward 50 and stay down and crumb.

I have enjoyed seeing him in the middle though.

I think to some extent you can only play as well as other teams let you.
I'd like us to score more goals too but our forward line is junk.
Disagree. We've had a similar forwardline talent-wise all through Goodwin's tenure, but when he started we kicked huge scores because we emphasized aggressive ball movement out of the contest and getting numbers forward of the ball to create opportunities.

We have kicked 1005 points in 13 games this year

In 2017 after 13 games we had kicked 1320 points

2018: 1342 points

2022: 1111

2023: 1237

This is in an era where attacking footy is on the up. It's all about intent.

Pickett needs to stop going for the mark of the year every time the ball comes into the forward 50 and stay down and crumb.

I have enjoyed seeing him in the middle though.

He feels the need to make something happen constantly, he should be given space to operate in and quick ball movement which we don't do. It's far too simplistic to say stay down and crumb, hard work living off crumbs when a ball is kicked to a pack or in a crowded 50, far easier to crumb when it's a ball kicked to a one on one and you have space.

He feels the need to make something happen constantly, he should be given space to operate in and quick ball movement which we don't do. It's far too simplistic to say stay down and crumb, hard work living off crumbs when a ball is kicked to a pack or in a crowded 50, far easier to crumb when it's a ball kicked to a one on one and you have space.
You give Pickett, Trac and Fritsch the time and space Collingwood give their forwards to work with and watch them tear teams apart.

I remember being concerned at the time at the goalless last quarter in the game against Adelaide despite the win, that it was a crack showing
Probs over-rating Adelaide in hindsight but we've had some close games in recent times and I looked at the trip to adelaide holistically- 2 wins b2b interstate on a short turnaround. I would have taken one win before the trip. Forwardline functioning reasonably well against the Crows too- 3 to fritta, 2 to jvr/pickett, trac/chandler/flogpetty a goal each.

That said, I don't really remember the game.

2022: 1111

2023: 1237
At this stage last year we were in the Top 4 and we were 1st at this point in 2022, so it's not really a surprise we're not scoring as much?

I'm not saying it's all on the forwards fault, the whole thing is rotten. Whatever midfield we put forward against North is probably going to get trounced.

Last edited:
Probs over-rating Adelaide in hindsight but we've had some close games in recent times and I looked at the trip to adelaide holistically- 2 wins b2b interstate on a short turnaround. I would have taken one win before the trip. Forwardline functioning reasonably well against the Crows too- 3 to fritta, 2 to jvr/pickett, trac/chandler/flogpetty a goal each.

That said, I don't really remember the game.

At this stage last year we were in the Top 4 and we were 1st at this point in 2022, so it's not really a surprise we're not scoring as much?

I'm not saying it's all on the forwards fault, the whole thing is rotten. Whatever midfield we put forward against North is probably going to get trounced.
I was using them as examples because it was interesting that we scored substantially less in 13 games than we did in 2017 when we didn't play finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back