Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

All in all about what I expected. Nothing will change. Just about trying to have a little bit better success when going inside 50. The goal of one extra goal a game is a pathetically low bar.

Instead of kicking 9.15 from 60 inside 50's we are going to try and kick 10.14 from 60 inside 50's in the 2024 finals series. Reaching for the stars.

I don’t rate goody at all but I’m not going to lose it over some speech he made to try and placate members in December. Will see what we look like after some actual games next year before I judge.

"There is nothing better as a Melbourne supporter than rocking up to the G and knowing the team you have. You have a highly competitive team, a team that is blue collar and works hard"

As a supporter of the Melbourne Football Club im qualified to speak on this point, youre wrong Simon. Completely wrong. I much prefer rocking up to the G thinking we could play some unpredictable exciting football, predictable blue collar football sucks and is why we lose finals.
So play like we did under Dean Bailey?

We are coached to be in games instead of trying to win games. The goal of one extra goal speaks to that mindset.

Instead of trying to turn every final into a 50/50 how about you go out there and win it instead.

I'm not against contest defense in the right circumstances. That being when you're 4 or 5 goals up with a half or quarter to play. But we are never in that situation against good teams coz we are doing the contest and defense from the first bounce. On the back foot.

We play scared football, and have a heap of chokers in the clutch , so I'm not sure why we try and make games tight. It doesn't suit this team at all.

Dean Bailey had the same amount of talent on his list hey.
Bailey had us playing the type of footy Collingwood play now we just had a young inconsistent list.
This will never be proven but I think he would have been a fantastic coach if 186 didn't happen

Bailey had us playing the type of footy Collingwood play now we just had a young inconsistent list.
This will never be proven but I think he would have been a fantastic coach if 186 didn't happen
He let the players get away with far far too much. He had some good ideas though.

Coaches can evolve. His tactical coaching was great though.
Maybe. The tail wagged the dog back then. 186 came out of a player protest. Not sure that group ever has enough discipline to be a good team under Bailey. Neeld sucked but it was telling how many players cracked the shits as soon as someone came in to pull them into line.

Probably would have been a great assistant coach somewhere though.

Maybe. The tail wagged the dog back then. 186 came out of a player protest. Not sure that group ever has enough discipline to be a good team under Bailey. Neeld sucked but it was telling how many players cracked the shits as soon as someone came in to pull them into line.

Probably would have been a great assistant coach somewhere though.
Already proved to be a good assistant no doubt.

I wonder how it would have turned out for him if he hadn't of passed away though

So play like we did under Dean Bailey?
Those were fun days, but I'd rather a consistently strong team than one like back then. The better sides always beat us. I like the sentiment behind what Goody is saying. Just needed to say focused on scoring more instead if the 1 goal a game thing. 1 goal a quarter better would be nice

Demonstrates why changing the coach can be a good option even if the team isn't languishing at the bottom.
A new coach would undoubtedly have had to pitch a different gameplan and philosophy to get the job.

Goodwin is clearly convinced he is on exactly the right track and a slight uptick in player execution going forward will bring us another flag. We're all hoping he's right but there are plenty of different ways a good coach could be successful with this list. If he wastes a third successive year trying to make it work with the same philosophy it really will be an indictment on him and the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are less than the sum of our parts and we play a boring as * game style, I'm not sure how any MFC fan can be satisfied with that?
Because on expected scores and demon Spirit we won the flag

I suspect the argument would be that one extra goal a game last year would have made us the highest scoring team in the league - and the 2nd stingiest defence.

I think that's the problem though - by aggregate, our scores look fine. They just are so grinding in practise - particularly against good sides.

Teams like the Pies know they can absorb pressure against us and beat us with 30% of the play - until that changes we are going nowhere. Statistically we always look good because we play into a ‘finals’ style but in reality we are Freo 2015 just grinding results and not being able to score against the best teams.

This isn’t a case of ‘fixing 1-2 things and we are sweet’ - this requires a completely new gameplan where we can accept leaking a couple more goals.

I suspect the argument would be that one extra goal a game last year would have made us the highest scoring team in the league - and the 2nd stingiest defence.

I think that's the problem though - by aggregate, our scores look fine. They just are so grinding in practise - particularly against good sides.
I honestly think there are only a handful of teams worth watching. Even Pies were a tough watch on the backend of the season. GWS, Lions and Pies probably the most watchable. But those 3 are probably the best field kicking sides too. We aren't a good field kicking side. Hence why we are a contested defensive team. 3/4 of the comp are a tough watch tbh.

He coached like garbage in the finals and his selections were even worse.

Why the hell would you go with 2 key defenders rather than 3 for the Pies final when it was proven all year that we lose games when we have a smaller defence and blokes like Hibberd have to make up the size. Think of the Freo and Essendon losses.

Then sure enough McStay kicks 2 crucial goals in the 3rd quarter. One contested mark on our key defensive powerhouse duo of McVee and Rivers, the other an uncontested mark with no defender in the same postcode as McStay.

Why couldn't Goodwin get his players firing from the opening bounce of the Pies final. Why were we down 9-2 in ground ball gets, -10 in contested possessions and 7-0 down in inside 50's before the Maynard hit on Gus. Of course the apologists will claim that Brayshaw going down was the sole reason we lost.

Then the next week why would you play a sub in the Carlton final that you had no intention of playing while the oppo's sub played a key role in their winning goal?

Also, why would you drop Tomlinson after a career best performance on Kings Birthday and sure enough proceed to lose the following week.

Lastly, why did we go 0-6 in wet weather games. Is that not on the coach?

The happy clappers will give him a job for life for the flag none off us got to see but he's not above criticism IMO.

Last edited:
So many new faces on the board following Demonland's policy of not allowing any negative discussion of the club at any time. 🤗
I've always said we should all get along and show our demon spirit. Some of your need to shape up and support

Ray Charles Laugh GIF

So many new faces on the board following Demonland's policy of not allowing any negative discussion of the club at any time. 🤗
I'm over the happy clappers on Demonland who think Goodwin will be coach for life and shoot you down if you even dare suggest that he made a slight "woopsie" at various selection meetings this year.

If I hear the wonderful achievement of making top 4 in 2022 and 2023 one more time......

I'm over the happy clappers on Demonland who think Goodwin will be coach for life and shoot you down if you even dare suggest that he made a slight "woopsie" at various selection meetings this year.

If I hear the wonderful achievement of making top 4 in 2022 and 2023 one more time......
You'll fit in well here.

At this point we're basically the Melbourne Demons anti-fanclub

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Come Let Me Love You GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back