Competitions The Contest - predict Geelong's National Draft selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 16 - Kristian Jaksch
Love him. Good size, takes a very strong mark and his skills are top notch. Would love him here.

Pick 79 - Anthony Tipungwuti
Has a bag of tricks and is an extremely talented and creative player. Question marks over his fitness and is a strong chance to be available at 79.

Jaksch hands are exceptional, he looks like he's about 6ft'6 but has very good skills on top of it.

Jaksch hands are exceptional, he looks like he's about 6ft'6 but has very good skills on top of it.

Name: Kristian Jaksch
Position: Key Defender/Key Forward
Age (by draft day): 18
Height: 195cm = 6ft 4.771653543307082 inches
Weight: 86kg
  • Strong overhead
  • Takes contested marks
  • Reads the play well
  • Foot skills very high for a tall
  • Good athelete
Kristian Jaksch in detail

Jaksch is one of the more versatile talls in this draft.
Beyond the obvious strength of a key tall who can play forward or back Jaksch also has the ability to play as a power marking player or a more traditional lead up one with his athleticism.
Jaksch’s skills are of a good standard for a tall player and when you combine this with his ability to read the play around him he looks a dangerous player to have in your team.
Will likely start his AFL career as a third tall utility before developing into a big power marking key forward.
Expect Kristian Jaksch to get drafted in the first 20 picks.

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2012/10/kristian-jaksch-2012-afl-draft-prospect/

Anthony Tipungwuti

DOB 22/04/1993 H: 174 W: 72 Tiwi Bombers/Gippsland Power

Tipungwuti is capable of the impossible and plays with real flair wherever he is on the ground. He can create off of the half back line, lead up or crumb in the forward line and do some Rioli-esque shit around the clearances extracting the ball or hitting the pack at pace and reading the ball off the tap.

Trouble is we just don't see enough of it as he is VERY unfit and will vanish after one good quarter, and this can happen quite often. Other issues would be that he can rush his disposal under pressure and is also guilty of sometimes trying to do too much when the first or simple option would be more appropriate.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/anthony-tipungwuti.855504/

Trouble is we just don't see enough of it as he is VERY unfit and will vanish after one good quarter, and this can happen quite often.

Doesn't sound too unlike Lincoln McCarthy at the moment.

Ex-Essendon Lonergan I assume? I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up with 79, some mid-age midfield depth would be handy.
That's the one and I'm mighty surprised he was delisted.

I wonder who wells picks up a tall or a small maybe one of each? How many rookie picks do they have this draft?
I'm pretty sure we don't have a rookie selection this season.

16. Vlastuin/Jesse Lonergan
79. PSD/Sam Lonergan

Would not be surprised at 79 there MD. Was, like you, surprised to see him cut. And at 79, you would think more ready made than anyone else to go...
And for some MF depth, would be the same as Joffa... depth with potential and the 25 ish age bracket...

Go Catters

Tried to go a little bit different.

Dream Selections :

#16 Geelong – Jake Stringer (VIC - Util)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 25/04/1994
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Style: Luke Hodge
Player comparison:
Range: 5-25
Profile: Stringer is probably the best talent in the draft and had it not been for a broken leg this season I would probably have him at no.1. Comes from a basketball background. Hard worker. Hasn’t really dominated games this year the way he has in the past and after his sickening broken leg of last year it’s just great to see him playing footy again. Stringer’s conditioning isn’t nearly where it was pre-injury and doesn’t seem to have his trademark explosiveness and leaping ability back yet and the endurance is nowhere near where it was but what’s encouraging is that he is still attacking the ball as hard as ever and working as hard as he can to impose himself on games. The feature I’ve always loved in Stringer’s game is his ability to play anywhere and just change the game with his attack on the ball and sheer will. With Stringer the versatility is a great asset and when he gets his fitness back he will be able to play through the midfield, forward or back to a high level. Wins the hard ball consistently and is a very good inside player to go along with his outside running ability which we have seen in the past. Ball use good by both hand and foot. Very strong mark overhead and can hit the scoreboard hard when shifted forward and with his limited fitness this year has mostly had to play up forward. I’ve most likely his play through the midfield at VFL level where he really demonstrated just how much of an AFL ready prospect he is. Stringer has star potential but needs to get his athleticism and conditioning back first before we see him back at his best which will take some time. Has great leadership potential and looks likely to be a guy who leads from the front at AFL level.

#79 Geelong - Tim Sumner (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 83g, DOB: 09/10/1994
Recruited from: Woodville West Torrents
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 15-rookie
Profile: Sumner is one of the quickest players in the draft and at his height is one of the more interesting prospects. Sumner is not a noted ball winner and doesn’t get a lot of it but when he does he can with his pace do some big damage, generally using it well but ball use can lack consistency at times. Strong overhead. Very dangerous around goal and good finisher around goal. With his pace could go from ok tackler to excellent tackler with more work. Will need to work on endurance and become a smarter runner so he can get more of it.

Geelong could walk away from this trade & draft period as one of the best of all time if this came off. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Possible Actual Selections :

#16 Geelong - Jesse Lonergan (TAS - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 14/11/1994
Recruited from: Launceston
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 10-35
Profile: Lonergan is a strong inside ball winning machine. Really powerful contested ball winner and clearance player. Has some pace. Tackling game very good. Above average inside distributor by hand. Lonergan has missed much of the first half of this year with injury but that doesn’t change the fact that he looms as a solid inside midfield option. Haven’t seen many signs with Lonergan of an outside game. Kicking has improved this year after being mostly inconsistent in previous years. Lonergan looks like a really solid prospect and one of the more ready to go prospects with his AFL ready body.

#79 Geelong - Laine Wilkins (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 30/03/1994
Recruited from: Peel Thunder
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 25-rookie
Profile: Outside running type player who can either play on a wing or up forward but in my view looks better up the ground. Wilkins has sensational pace and freak athleticism with a great leap on him and linebreaking pace. Would have to be in the top five for both pace and leap this year which will intrigue clubs. Ball use good but not great. When he rests forward he can often impact the scoreboard and do some damage but really lacks consistency in his play up forward relying purely on his athleticism to get by. Really exciting player and one of those players who can really turn a game with some of the things he can do but at the same time he seems to really lack substance and consistency. Needs to win more of his ball, find more of it around the ground and when playing forward with his speed needs to greatly improve his tackle numbers. Just needs to add a few more things to his play to go with his athleticism and get more ball more often to really be a consistent player, but with his standout athleticism is sure to get drafted.

I think likely to go for a combo of hard inside ball winner and outside speed and x-factor. Would be happy.

Competition Selections :

#16 Geelong – Kristian Jaksch (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 07/10/1994
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Matthew Pavlich
Player comparison:
Range: 8-17
Profile: Really promising key position player who can capably play forward or back to a high level. Really love the way his game has developed over the past few years and has continued to develop strongly this year and has quickly risen up most people’s draft boards quite substantially since this time last year. Jaksch is a strong mark overhead and is a real contested marking threat around the ground as well as up forward. Has very strong hands. Reads the play to a very high level and reads the ball in the air well. 1v1 more improvement needs to be made as he can’t push others around but this should be developed with time. At ground level for a key position player also very good. Jaksch is an elite field kick for a key position player and can lace out kick the ball to where the player wants it every time and is a genuine playmaker whether it be in the back half coming out of defence or whether up forward finding a his man executing kicks no key position player has the right to. Set shot goal kicking good. Athletically Jaksch is above average, has a solid leap but also moves really well with good pace and agility but he should develop into more of a power key forward or defender with his strong marking game. I’ve also been really pleased with his effort around the ground with his willingness to tackle for a key position player, it’s rare to see a player so willing to give 2nd and 3rd efforts and chase as hard as Jaksch does which is a credit to him. Has the body type where he should capably continue to grow out strongly. Jaksch while he will most likely develop into a key forward it is worth noting that he also looks very good down back and can be a big rebounding factor with his ability to read it well and marking with his ability to take marks off opposition kicks as well as winning 1v1 contests. There is great potential for development and Jaksch appears to be one of the best key position prospects this draft has to offer.

#79 Geelong - Matthew Dick (VIC – Def)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-60
Profile: Line breaking defender with some real pace. Can play on either talls or small well. Tackling game very good for a defender. Also capable of stepping into the midfield and playing a role. Ball use fine and performed well at the draft combine.

I think Jaksch could be a late slider this year. Good luck to Geelong if this does happen. Dick brings some speed & xfactor. Another great result for the Catters.

Thanks Knightmare for the write ups...

Pick 16: Troy Menzel-Would be a dream come true. Would see him as a likely mid, adding creativity and a lot of X-factor. Just imagine both him and Varcoe delivering inside 50...
Pick 79: Xavier Richards-Ted Richards younger brother. Very inconsistent atm but with time and patience put in would be an ideal replacement for Lonergan in 2-3 years.

I think Wells will be looking for a creative midfielder that can add unpredictability to the side and a defender for depth and to develop as a replacement for Lonergan in the future. I reckon our first pick will be between Menzel and Garlett who would both really add X-factor on our wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tried to go a little bit different.

Competition Selections :

#16 Brisbane- Sam Mayes (SA – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 20/05/1994
Recruited from: North Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison: Brad Green
Range: 5-15

Thanks Knightmare for the write ups...

Would love Mayes, best kick in the draft by far. Unfortunately, I think he'll be gone in the top 10, most likely taken by Port at pick 7.

I started this thing so i suppose i better have a crack.

Pick 16 - Matthew McDonough (Ht 180cm Woodville West Torrens)

I am going with the theory of a left field selection. This lad was All Australian last year and for the last 2 years has been SA's leading goalkicker the the Championships so he obviously can play. Just cant see us going tall at this pick.

Pick 79 - Shane Nelson (Ht 179 West Perth)

Could have should have been drafted last year. Has gone back to the WAFL and done the hard yearsd and had a good year. Possibly the best young player in the WAFL.

But then again what would i know.

16 - Nick Vlastuin - We need another redhead and he's probably the best available :p
79 - Xavier Richards - Tall defender with athleticm but lacks consistenancy at this stage so could still be available by then.

muttonchops - wow, way to go early.

If McDonough gets drafted before 40 I'd be super surprised. He has a few tricks but 16 seems very, very high for the lad based on what I've seen.

#16- Taylor garner

#79- sully

I hope we go: stringer/Menzel at 16 and toy at 79.

My top 4 preferences with pick 16 are:
1. Stringer (plays like Goddard)
2. Menzel (plays like his bro)
3. Garner (fyfe clone)
4. Garlett (reminds me of Peter Burgoyne)

If McDonough gets drafted before 40 I'd be super surprised. He has a few tricks but 16 seems very, very high for the lad based on what I've seen.

Just wanted to go left field was an All Australian but who knows, its like putting 10 bucks on a roughie in the Melbourne Cup at 50 to 1, you just never know, its unlikely but they might just get up.

Just wanted to go left field was an All Australian but who knows, its like putting 10 bucks on a roughie in the Melbourne Cup at 50 to 1, you just never know, its unlikely but they might just get up.
Well, I do love a bit of left-field thinking. Better than the same ol', same ol'. :thumbsu:

I agree , I had him as my alt. at 79 but in muttonchops defense , we have two picks , IF he was a player that Wells wanted he would have to use 16 even if he is 40 ish. It would be a huge call , I haven't see any Phantom with him that high , It would mean several more preferred players on the table.

I will give him this , to me he is more than he looks. OK not the athlete that will churn out good time for 10 k runs but "in" game he knows how get the ball and kick goals. Very efficient set shot and that is worth more and more these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions The Contest - predict Geelong's National Draft selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back