The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good.

Where did I say nowhere near? I said being top in the AFL is long behind him. He was top in 2013, that is quite some time ago. Our forward line as a whole is 2nd in the league, not Mayne.

I have never disputed his elite forward pressure, and I don't intend to. He is amazing as a pressure forward but I don't think that is enough to compensate for his poor set shot kicking and other facets of his game that have dropped away since 2013. I thought I was pretty clear and balanced in my initial post that has somehow set everybody onto me. :rolleyes:

I would not have used the words you used, if I meant
"A few years ago Mayne was the best pressure forward in the league, but for a few years now he has only been second or third best."
It reads that he had declined greatly, to the point where those days are long gone.

I'm not attacking you, by the way.

I would not have used the words you used, if I meant
"A few years ago Mayne was the best pressure forward in the league, but for a few years now he has only been second or third best."
It reads that he had declined greatly, to the point where those days are long gone.

I'm not attacking you, by the way.
Like I said it's all good. It's all banter at the end of the day.

Perhaps my wording could have been better but I did go on to give that further context in my initial post. Again, I felt like my entire post was pretty even handed when taken in it's full context. Certainly didn't expect I would be here 3 pages later justifying my wording.

There is a lot of selective quoting going on here that has been used to push a certain angle, not saying that's been you either.

I do personally think those days are long gone. The fact is that he is no longer the form pressure forward in the comp, my opinion is that he won't be again. Nobody has read my initial post clearly, the comment from Hasleby was he is THE BEST in the AFL. I refuted that comment and it has been proven by that article. It is a well known fact Puopolo is THE BEST pressure forward in the game, has been for a couple of years now.

Pressure acts can simply be waving your hands in someone's face too, so it is a fairly subjective stat. I personally don't think he has been anywhere near as effective as in past seasons in this area. Where in the past he forced opposition out of bounds or stuck tackles, he is nowadays more likely to have his tackles broken and I would suggest a fair amount of his recorded pressure acts are from corralling and giving chase more than actually forcing turnovers.

The thing with Mayney is, he has stagnated at a point in most player's progression where they should still be improving and hitting their peak. Suban is the same, peaked a few years back and has stagnated since. Personally, and this my opinion, not looking to be fact checked on it, other facets of his game have dropped off besides his set shots IMO which have seen him lose his spot in the forward line.

Last edited:
Move on , he is worth late second or early third , other team might or might not benefits his service .

Pretty he sure he actually referred to it as "Ballantyne stuff". Which makes it even worse :(

Worse than that ... I recall words to the effect of "good call ... just like we talked about before the game" ... i.e. they went in before the game with distinct instructions to look for and pay frees against Freo/Balla. Absolute disgrace that such a thing happened and little fuss was made about it. I think all 3 umpires made the GF (?) ... rewarded by the AFL for doing their job for a Victorian side.

Like I said it's all good. It's all banter at the end of the day.

Perhaps my wording could have been better but I did go on to give that further context in my initial post. Again, I felt like my entire post was pretty even handed when taken in it's full context. Certainly didn't expect I would be here 3 pages later justifying my wording.

There is a lot of selective quoting going on here that has been used to push a certain angle, not saying that's been you either.

I do personally think those days are long gone. The fact is that he is no longer the form pressure forward in the comp, my opinion is that he won't be again. Nobody has read my initial post clearly, the comment from Hasleby was he is THE BEST in the AFL. I refuted that comment and it has been proven by that article. It is a well known fact Puopolo is THE BEST pressure forward in the game, has been for a couple of years now.

Pressure acts can simply be waving your hands in someone's face too, so it is a fairly subjective stat. I personally don't think he has been anywhere near as effective as in past seasons in this area. Where in the past he forced opposition out of bounds or stuck tackles, he is nowadays more likely to have his tackles broken and I would suggest a fair amount of his recorded pressure acts are from corralling and giving chase more than actually forcing turnovers.

The thing with Mayney is, he has stagnated at a point in most player's progression where they should still be improving and hitting their peak. Suban is the same, peaked a few years back and has stagnated since. Personally, and this my opinion, not looking to be fact checked on it, other facets of his game have dropped off besides his set shots IMO which have seen him lose his spot in the forward line.

Good answer.

What's this now?? What happened?
Pretty he sure he actually referred to it as "Ballantyne stuff". Which makes it even worse :(
Worse than that ... I recall words to the effect of "good call ... just like we talked about before the game" ... i.e. they went in before the game with distinct instructions to look for and pay frees against Freo/Balla. Absolute disgrace that such a thing happened and little fuss was made about it. I think all 3 umpires made the GF (?) ... rewarded by the AFL for doing their job for a Victorian side.

Last edited:
Same old, same old. That wasnt a good look. Discussing it prior to the game reinforces the need for them to enforce it, hence you have a bias.

The Steves should have done something.
It reared it's head again this year with the Brad Scott presser fiasco.

The AFL can argue there is no bias against certain players but that is total and utter tripe.

He got in strife for being silly enough to call them out on it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really don't want to see mayne in purple next year. Watching the peel forwards today it's time to move on. Love the guy but his yips and moment killing is all too much and has cost us more games than we would like to admit.

Really don't want to see mayne in purple next year. Watching the peel forwards today it's time to move on. Love the guy but his yips and moment killing is all too much and has cost us more games than we would like to admit.
You sure love suban display.

Everybody has come across someone who reaches the limit of their intellectual arsenal a bit sooner than the debates end arrives, so they react violently or try and intimidate their opponent into giving up.

That's the AFL.
Most communist completion in the world. where all teams are equal but some are more equal than others.

All dissent is stamped upon and flushed down the memory hole.

^^^ Plenty more things to hate about that game.

Absurd umpiring, bordering on cheating with evidence from the recorded exchange between field umpire and their boss in the stands.

Fyfe going in after not being able to walk all week, then breaking his leg (if it wasn't already broken). Pavlich pinging a calf. Both would have missed the GF.

I think the one moment which I hated as much as anything was Suckling's bomb after the 3QT siren. Could have been play on and no score. Probably the only player on the ground who could have kicked it. Absolutely everything fell Hawthorn's way that night.

To be fair to Mayne, he did take a big mark and convert from 40-50m out in the third quarter. That miss early obviously stopped our momentum, but it didn't cost us the game. Griffin missed a sitter at half time. Sheridan's mark. Walters getting his head ripped off when we were charging. And so on.
The Griffen shot actually left the boot beautifully, but swung violently late in its trajectory and hit the post. Completely different to Mayne's shocker

looking back at that shot... that hurt.
Thats what made that set shot even worse. Hawks then capitalised in the other end.

I hated everything about that game. The hawks kicked 15.4.94 that night. What pissed me off the most was the hawks did not miss a set shot all night. all 4 behinds were rushed.

I hated what I heard after the game that a docker fan punched a woman in the throat that night. That was disgusting too.

The thing that hurt me the most was Luke Mcpharlin walking slowly after the game, holding back his tears. He knew that 2015 was his last shot at glory.

I hated that night. I have only broke down in tears in 2 freo games, the 2015 prelim was one of those games, the other was 2009 vs the crows in that infamous game we kicked 1 goal.
This post is very good. That was the worst game of footy I've ever been to. It just felt like every time we got back into the game something would happen to kill our momentum...an easy missed goal, bloody awful free kick against us or a dumb turnover. That ridiculous suckling goal after the three quarter time siren (which from memory was after a sliding free kick against Son Son) summed the night up perfectly.

I dream of the day we make it back to finals footy and we exorcise the demons of 2013-15.

We
This post is very good. That was the worst game of footy I've ever been to. It just felt like every time we got back into the game something would happen to kill our momentum...an easy missed goal, bloody awful free kick against us or a dumb turnover. That ridiculous suckling goal after the three quarter time siren (which from memory was after a sliding free kick against Son Son) summed the night up perfectly.

I dream of the day we make it back to finals footy and we exorcise the demons of 2013-15.
I think we have a few games to go before we exercise those demons. By then we will the afl instructing ape out of the game. Because we never stood up to the pricks last time.

Looking back at it.... Again gutted mcpharlin never got another chance at a grand final along with pav and sandi. Its almost criminal to think about it.

Looking back at it.... Again gutted mcpharlin never got another chance at a grand final along with pav and sandi. Its almost criminal to think about it.
Until Pav presents the 2020 premiership cup to captain Fyfe it will continue to hurt! :)

Late second round for Mayne would be fair.

Free agency and you get unders, so we will get a 3rd round pick. I try and think of which teams Mayne would not get a game in. I am unsure, as if you look at the week links in the top teams, Mayne could easily slot in as he is a solid hard working lock in defensive forward. In fact the more I think about it, Chris Mayne probably would get a game in most teams because of his pressure. His goal kicking is the problem. The fact is, that he was the most reliable shot at goal for a year, and even JD would comment on his approach as the way it needs to be done. So there is hope as he has the right technique, just confidence or mental stuff to get the job done.

I am fairly sure he will be gone, but if he stays, with a rejuvenated list and forward line he could be a valuable player for us. Up to him - I think he is gone, and that is fair, I have no hard feelings and wish him well regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back