The curious case of Chris Mayne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why other club want mayne where everybody here keep saying he is not worth it.

Very happy to keep someone like Mayne who gives everything to the club both off and on the field. But in reality we need draft picks to get McCarthy, Hill and whoever else to the club and you can't get a second round draft pick with players that are delist material like DeBoer etc. Note, I really like the way DeBoer goes about his game and not having a crack just referring to trade value.

Very happy to keep someone like Mayne who gives everything to the club both off and on the field. But in reality we need draft picks to get McCarthy, Hill and whoever else to the club and you can't get a second round draft pick with players that are delist material like DeBoer etc. Note, I really like the way DeBoer goes about his game and not having a crack just referring to trade value.

Right now I think DeBoer could play Maynes role to similar effect.

Right now I think DeBoer could play Maynes role to similar effect.

I really like DeBoer as a inside mid only and not being relied upon to kick a goal from outside 40m.

DeBoer and Barlow are the two players that I think our coach has at times got their positions totally wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like DeBoer as a inside mid only and not being relied upon to kick a goal from outside 40m.

DeBoer and Barlow are the two players that I think our coach has at times got their positions totally wrong.

And who would De Boer replaced as an inside mid in our team when it was up and running?

We've spent the last 4 years saying that Ross should stop playing the foot soldiers and play the kids and now some want the foot soldiers back.

The point being that the foot soldiers of now were the Balics ,Sheridans and Wellers once and full of promise. It wasn't that long ago that Suban and De Boer were considered as leaders of the club. There is going to be future players denigrated as foot soldiers . Its the nature of the beast.

The point being that the foot soldiers of now were the Balics ,Sheridans and Wellers once and full of promise. It wasn't that long ago that Suban and De Boer were considered as leaders of the club. There is going to be future players denigrated as foot soldiers . Its the nature of the beast.

I'm not buying that at all.

Maybe previously we saw Suban differently but generally speaking I would use foot soldiers to describe the one paced, vanilla, average skilled players that were highly committed to the gameplan and the team. What you saw is what you got with De Boer. Similar with guys like Tendai and Clancee. Almost zero chance of them breaking out and being seen as so much more than their current station in life.

Weller, Blakely, Langdon (if he stays) and Balic all have the potential to be more than foot soldiers from a skill level point of view.

I'm not buying that at all.

Maybe previously we saw Suban differently but generally speaking I would use foot soldiers to describe the one paced, vanilla, average skilled players that were highly committed to the gameplan and the team. What you saw is what you got with De Boer. Similar with guys like Tendai and Clancee. Almost zero chance of them breaking out and being seen as so much more than their current station in life.

Weller, Blakely, Langdon (if he stays) and Balic all have the potential to be more than foot soldiers from a skill level point of view.

I dont agree, how many youngsters have been glowingly endorsed on here only to be delisted or join the average group later on.

I dont agree, how many youngsters have been glowingly endorsed on here only to be delisted or join the average group later on.

Sure. Let's keep De Boer then. A premiership awaits!! So what are you advocating for then? Give Tendai another year. Convince Pav to go round one more year?

It's time to move on.

The difference is that we actually have a talented list of youngsters for the first time since Hill etc were drafted. It would be madness to remotely consider De Boer unless we were decimated by injury even worse that we were this year (is that even possible?).

Not all but maybe some because they weren't played ahead of the foot soldiers. I believe that Clarkson in an interview said that if they get an injury to a senior player they try to give the young guys a go instead of the older guys to give them a taste and see what they got.

Sure. Let's keep De Boer then. A premiership awaits!! So what are you advocating for then? Give Tendai another year. Convince Pav to go round one more year?

It's time to move on.

The difference is that we actually have a talented list of youngsters for the first time since Hill etc were drafted. It would be madness to remotely consider De Boer unless we were decimated by injury even worse that we were this year (is that even possible?).

It is not madness to consider DeBoer for a game of AFL when he is in really good form (possible Sandover medal in less games). It is not madness to consider any player young or experienced if they can make a contribution at AFL level.

You, Salim, me and everyone else knows its about getting the right balance between youth and experience. Ross has certainly been far to "right" for my liking in the past and youth have found it difficult to get games. But, if you simply just "play the youth" I can guarantee that our rebuild will take much longer and the youth will get their asses handed to them regularly which is going to eventually drag them down.

We need to and will move on some of the mature players but I personally hope they put a lot of thinking into DeBoer and Barlow before they consider throwing them away as well because imo they can still impact positively at AFL level.

It is not madness to consider DeBoer for a game of AFL when he is in really good form (possible Sandover medal in less games). It is not madness to consider any player young or experienced if they can make a contribution at AFL level.

You, Salim, me and everyone else knows its about getting the right balance between youth and experience. Ross has certainly been far to "right" for my liking in the past and youth have found it difficult to get games. But, if you simply just "play the youth" I can guarantee that our rebuild will take much longer and the youth will get their asses handed to them regularly which is going to eventually drag them down.

We need to and will move on some of the mature players but I personally hope they put a lot of thinking into DeBoer and Barlow before they consider throwing them away as well because imo they can still impact positively at AFL level.

Name a top 8 midfield where De Boer would get a regular game?

Tell me why we should tolerate crap disposal where every other team is going the other way? Let me know why we should be known universally as a team with low skill level?

Nah man. That's over. I'd happily keep Barlow for his leadership qualities and his ability to effect a game but I'm not going to lose sleep over De Boer not being part of our plans.

The amount of posters on this board who now don't seem to have the appetite to see the changes that we need being made is staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back