The Draft (2007) - Imapct for this year's draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
According to the book by Emma Quayle, the Hawks had three roles to fill in the 2007 draft, that of a big key defender, a small crumbing forward and an outside mid.

The book implies that we got our crumber in Junior and outside mid in Whitecross.

That would mean that the only one left is a big key defender.

Do people therefore think we will pick the best key defender at pick 16, or go for generally best available (I doubt we'd pick up a key forward) and if that turns out to be a key defender, then all the better?

At pick 16 you'd usually go draft for the position you needed . . . However the first round of draft picks are all pretty even this year, so it might make sense to just go for the best player, even at pick 16.

Besides, let's not forget we have two quality talls in Dowler and Thorp to hopefully join the ranks in 2009. One of them should be able to hold a key defensive post.

According to the book by Emma Quayle, the Hawks had three roles to fill in the 2007 draft, that of a big key defender, a small crumbing forward and an outside mid.

The book implies that we got our crumber in Junior and outside mid in Whitecross.

That would mean that the only one left is a big key defender.

Do people therefore think we will pick the best key defender at pick 16, or go for generally best available (I doubt we'd pick up a key forward) and if that turns out to be a key defender, then all the better?

I think the book implied we planned on selecting a crumber and outside midfielder in just the 2007 draft, mate.

Pelchin mentioned we have several postions we would like to fill.. it's just a tick of boxes type thing.

Re. pick 16 & a key defender.. I think Trengove would be awesome. Hurley and JT aside the other defenders available seem too laconic or without x- factor. Lisle looks like Gilham.. meh.

If Trengove isn't available, which is probable.. I want a ball-winning midfiedler. e.g Sidebottom, Blease, Swift, Hill, Robinson.. maybe Yarren.

At pick 16 you'd usually go draft for the position you needed . . . However the first round of draft picks are all pretty even this year, so it might make sense to just go for the best player, even at pick 16.

Besides, let's not forget we have two quality talls in Dowler and Thorp to hopefully join the ranks in 2009. One of them should be able to hold a key defensive post.
Drafting - Best available vs. Needs
Pelchin never subscribed to the theory clubs should simply pick the Best available in each selection of the draft if the best player available was a Ruckman or a small midfielder the list would have no balance!

I think we will go with a key back man with pick 16 if there is none available the best available player with pick 16 from Sidebottom Swift Beams Blease Yarran the best quick out side midfielder then pick up a key backman at pick 34??

With Dowler & Thorp in the wings i can only see Thorp as a back man & Dowler as a lead up forward it will be very interesting to see what the club does,we got Birchell at pick 14 & Junior at pick 12 so we have shown the sort of quality player we can pick up in the first round of the draft!:thumbsu:

I think we might have to pick a key defender much like Geelong did in the 07 draft.

They picked up Harry Taylor with their first pick - who despite the fact that he might not have as much room for improvement as an 18 year old, he was certainly a more than capable defender for them for the most part of the year.

I think we might have to pick a key defender much like Geelong did in the 07 draft.

They picked up Harry Taylor with their first pick - who despite the fact that he might not have as much room for improvement as an 18 year old, he was certainly a more than capable defender for them for the most part of the year.

FYI Harry Taylor is 22. DOB is 12.06.86.

I'd definitely believe that you always pick up the best available.

Even though it is pick 16, it doesn't mean we are going to get the 16th best player. I'd back our recruiting department to spot an exceptional talent that has slipped through.

Cyril is a perfect example of this. He wasn't exactly the 12th best player from that draft.

I'd like to see us go best KP back no matter what. Best available will be most likely a mid and we have enough untapped talented mids in front of a first pick anyway (unless it's a Selwood kinda freak), see Tuck, Kennedy, Muston, Whitecross and a returning McGlynn. We also have enough talentented KP forwards coming through the system, too, see Dowler and Thorp. We're crying out for a KP back now and don't even have any coming through. I dismiss any calls for Thorp and Renouf/Campbell as a KP backs because they simply won't be. KP back for certain.

I'd like to see us go best KP back no matter what. Best available will be most likely a mid and we have enough untapped talented mids in front of a first pick anyway (unless it's a Selwood kinda freak), see Tuck, Kennedy, Muston, Whitecross and a returning McGlynn. We also have enough talentented KP forwards coming through the system, too, see Dowler and Thorp. We're crying out for a KP back now and don't even have any coming through. I dismiss any calls for Thorp and Renouf/Campbell as a KP backs because they simply won't be. KP back for certain.

you have to remember, though, that we have just lost Crawf, so our midfield stocks have gone down.

For me, I read Pelchin as he will go positions unless there is a discernible difference in talent. I just think we still need three or four different types, so we aren't limited to Key Back.

you have to remember, though, that we have just lost Crawf, so our midfield stocks have gone down.

For me, I read Pelchin as he will go positions unless there is a discernible difference in talent. I just think we still need three or four different types, so we aren't limited to Key Back.

I'm sort of leaning that way too. If a quality mid that was expected to go top ten slipped to 16, then I would be happy to pick him, otherwise a key defender please. I know we have plenty in the reserves, but if we are able to get a player that is deemed better than Tuck, McGlynn and Morton, why not?

The other picks, best available, but no 190cm 78kg potential key defenders pelase. The Brennan's and Thurgood's never get there.

Re: The Draft (2007) - Impact for this year's draft

ALL defenders need to run off their man and create.Renouf & Bailey will be way to slow to do this. Any backman can go forward and kick goals(IE C.Brown) but it's not easy to make a natural forward go back.

If Thorp & Dowler cannot be turned into backmen then we desperately need a tall defensive minded young bloke at pick 16.

Then we hope & pray that my man Rory Sloane slips to our 2nd pick!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure 'best available' is always the best way to go. Maybe within reason.

Like, we still have several positions to fill, therefore on that criteria we select the best for that position. e.g. midfielder, defender, ect.

It will be a tall defender for sure, and not with the view to bolster our big man stocks in the backline now, but in 2 - 4 years time when Croad retires.

You will still get good mids in the 30's and maybe even deeper.

If it's a backup 'gorilla' you are looking for, I'd possibly entertain the thought of rookieing Aisake O'Halpin if possible.

He's 200cm, hard bodied, enthusiastic and runs like a rabbit - he just needs to be decarltonised. They really did throw this kid to the wolves with their mismanagement.

Waits red-faced for the inevitable howls of derision and humiliation.

It will be a tall defender for sure, and not with the view to bolster our big man stocks in the backline now, but in 2 - 4 years time when Croad retires.

You will still get good mids in the 30's and maybe even deeper.

If it's a backup 'gorilla' you are looking for, I'd possibly entertain the thought of rookieing Aisake O'Halpin if possible.

He's 200cm, hard bodied, enthusiastic and runs like a rabbit - he just needs to be decarltonised. They really did throw this kid to the wolves with their mismanagement.

Waits red-faced for the inevitable howls of derision and humiliation.[/quote]Interesting TWITA who knows mate a 200cm backman i suppose Fletcher from Essendon was over 198cm i think if only i new what derision meant mate but i don't!:D

Laughing and taking the piss out of me for my ridiculous propositions. :)
LOL mate i wouldn't do that TWITA as funny as your propositions are mate they have some merit i do agree that we will take a key back man for the future Trengove or Jordan Lisle!;):thumbsu:

I don't think making a rookie out of Aisake is too crazy. He has the tools, just needs re-adjustment...

I personally always thought he was a decent defender. Cant kick it straight to save his life but not the worst spoiler in the world from the little I saw.

Given the number of rebounders we have in our backline anyways a stay at home back who just sticks with his forward isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Might be worth a late pick (up in the 70s)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Draft (2007) - Imapct for this year's draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back