The extra week off for QF winners - good or bad?

The QF winners having 2 weeks off out of 3 will...

• help them

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • hurt them

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • not make any difference

Votes: 22 26.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A lack of continuity in their footy and no chance to build momentum. In the past coaches and players have regularly said that they prefer to play high intensity games in the lead up to finals to condition themselves to the type of footy that they're likely to experience. There has also been concerns in the past about how teams perform post-bye. I don't know the actual figures, but if there is any disadvantage in that situation it will only be worse when the team plays 1 game of footy in 4 weeks.

Cheeky bump of my own thread, partly to see if opinions have changed, partly to observe the irony that the first time the AFL puts in a bye round before finals the top 8 can't actually afford to take the last round easy anyway...

Seeing as how we usually choke after the bye I don't think this is a great outcome for us. It still depends on injuries to really see the benefit though. Teams that need an extra week to get key players back on deck will love it.

Completely agree. Only 1 game in 4 weeks has to be a disadvantage to the teams that win their QF's. Like what's been said already, they AFL overreacted to a one off incident without considering the wider ramifications of their change. It will almost be an advantage to lose your QF given that the team will be guaranteed a home Semi and they'll be able to have some continuity in their footy.
How exactly is it advantageous losing a QF and then playing a home semi final as opposed to winning your QF and getting a home preliminary Final? I don't understand the logic.

How exactly is it advantageous losing a QF and then playing a home semi final as opposed to winning your QF and getting a home preliminary Final? I don't understand the logic.
Not necessarily advantageous, but I think there reverse is true. It is almost certainly disadvantageous to play 1 game in the space of 4 weeks between the last round and the Prelim Final.

Not necessarily advantageous, but I think there reverse is true. It is almost certainly disadvantageous to play 1 game in the space of 4 weeks between the last round and the Prelim Final.

In that case lose the first week ;)

Only on big footy would people think clubs are worse off with MORE rest

In that case lose the first week ;)

Only on big footy would people think clubs are worse off with MORE rest
Teams and players have said before that they can struggle coming off a bye and that's only a single week. One game of footy in 4 weeks could seriously affect momentum, touch and continuity. Perhaps disadvantageous is the wrong way to say it, but with the bye after the last round it makes the week off for the winning QF teams less of an advantage than it was previously.

Teams and players have said before that they can struggle coming off a bye and that's only a single week. One game of footy in 4 weeks could seriously affect momentum, touch and continuity. Perhaps disadvantageous is the wrong way to say it, but with the bye after the last round it makes the week off for the winning QF teams less of an advantage than it was previously.

It might be disadvantageous - but that is for the complete opposite reason you think - they're PF opponent will be more rested than they were in the past.

What's worse is the bye is on the Father's Day weekend. How am I supposed to cash in on being lazy and watch football all weekend?? **** you, AFL.

What's even worse than that is that it's an international break for soccer on top of no footy, so we can't even rely on that :(

It won't be an advantage to the team who loses the QF, as they would always be better off securing a home prelim.

It will, however, benefit the teams from 5th to 8th, as playing 4 in a row is much less daunting with a week off behind their belt. If there was ever a year a team could win from 5th, this is it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory, Essendon organised a scratch match against Fitzroy in 1990 for just this reason - the draw between Collingwood and West Coast with a replay the following week meant that they had the first week off for finishing top, then would've had a second week off and played their first game in three weeks in the second semi. (As it turned out they lost the second semi anyway, but it was to a team with more continuity.)

Have any of those brainwaves done an actual study of the total win/loss percentage of teams coming off a bye? Obviously it wouldn't tell you anything about having two byes in three weeks. But surely there is an actual, hard statistic out there about whether teams are more often made rusty or made fresh by a bye.

Damn stupid idea, it better be gone by next year.

I’m sure they’ll all train for it, but on the face of it you’d suspect for the 5-8 teams it closes the gap a bit to the QF winners.

What annoys me the most is that from a fan’s perspective it’s a real momentum killer. Especially this year with it being so tight up top, all this build up over the last few weeks then….. Nothing…. a week of no footy.

Pretty obvious it'll be a hindrance to the qf winners. The only benefit of the bye will be the footy public champing at the bit for finals to kick off which will see massive week 1 crowds

Pretty obvious it'll be a hindrance to the qf winners. The only benefit of the bye will be the footy public champing at the bit for finals to kick off which will see massive week 1 crowds

Based on what?

Do you think QFs will be a battle between two teams trying to lose then?

Remove this Banner Ad

The extra week off for QF winners - good or bad?

Back