The Footy Show

Remove this Banner Ad

The other interesting thing is. If Aker had of pulled his head in, he would of played out the season with the Bulldogs, possibly have another premiership to his name and most of the general football world would not know how difficult a team man he actually was.
He would've then left on good terms both inside and outside the club and Gold Coast would be sniffing around him for a 1 year contract.
Imagine his media career under that scenario!

As it is now, he will end up highly decorated but no real mates or belonging to any club to show for it. Gold Coast won't touch him, especially following his comment yesterday that "unlike Hunt, he could actually play". Why would you bag the highest profile player at a club you may want to join??? His media career is also looking like heading in the Sam Newman direction which is a niche role with no real job security and where you get laughed at more than laughed with.

If I was in his position, I know which scenario I would prefer. All for the sake of 10 weeks controlling himself.

I taped TFS and watched it last night after hearing all about it and I was very nervous about what I was about to watch. Basically it was great TV, it was hard to watch because you were seeing a broken man 'Aker' who had red eyes and looked like he hadn't slept for days. This was a heated meeting that you would usually never see as it would be held behind closed doors. I felt incredibly sorry for Aker because he is a wreck, albeit a very wealthy wreck that will never experience the financial hardships that any average Australian has to experience. This is all about a man who was not only bigger than our club but bigger than the game itself finally realizing that it all might end. The tragedy of this, and only the more intellegent veiwers have picked up on this, is that Aker refuses to look at trouble in his life and realise that the one constant is him, he is never wrong, it's never his fault.
I can not think of a more hostile environment for a CEO to be put in. Rose is not a football personality, he's not an ex-player, 99% of opposition supporters would not have a clue who he was. One thing that Rose is though is an expert in running an organisation and it's employees. Rose was the voice of reason to Aker and Sam's emotional ranting. He portrayed the Dogs as a very professionally run outfit and left me in no doubt that we made the right descision and handled the issue as well as possible. Aker had to go now so it can blow over before a serious finals tilt when there can be no distractions.
You only have to watch any of the Footy shows on free and pay TV and hear the opinions of every single expert. Every one of them have said the Dogs have done what they had to.
Whilst I feel sorry for Aker and his inabilty to have look in the mirror, We are not in the business of pandering to one man and his ego. There are much bigger fish to fry at Footscray and we are all hungry.

I taped TFS and watched it last night after hearing all about it and I was very nervous about what I was about to watch. Basically it was great TV, it was hard to watch because you were seeing a broken man 'Aker' who had red eyes and looked like he hadn't slept for days. This was a heated meeting that you would usually never see as it would be held behind closed doors. I felt incredibly sorry for Aker because he is a wreck, albeit a very wealthy wreck that will never experience the financial hardships that any average Australian has to experience. This is all about a man who was not only bigger than our club but bigger than the game itself finally realizing that it all might end. The tragedy of this, and only the more intellegent veiwers have picked up on this, is that Aker refuses to look at trouble in his life and realise that the one constant is him, he is never wrong, it's never his fault.
I can not think of a more hostile environment for a CEO to be put in. Rose is not a football personality, he's not an ex-player, 99% of opposition supporters would not have a clue who he was. One thing that Rose is though is an expert in running an organisation and it's employees. Rose was the voice of reason to Aker and Sam's emotional ranting. He portrayed the Dogs as a very professionally run outfit and left me in no doubt that we made the right descision and handled the issue as well as possible. Aker had to go now so it can blow over before a serious finals tilt when there can be no distractions.
You only have to watch any of the Footy shows on free and pay TV and hear the opinions of every single expert. Every one of them have said the Dogs have done what they had to.
Whilst I feel sorry for Aker and his inabilty to have look in the mirror, We are not in the business of pandering to one man and his ego. There are much bigger fish to fry at Footscray and we are all hungry.

Well said mate, I thought Johno handled himself very well last night on Ch 7 at half time. Another ex player and ex premiership captain in Tom Harley also spoke in our defence.

Seems the only person in the football world on Aker's side is Sam Newman.

The same Sam who doesn't like or watch footy anymore and hasn't been involved with the workings of a club for many a year?

Yeah he's opinion counts for a lot. :rolleyes:

spoke to bubba last night pigdog..... rocket invited him down to the club on friday and every player got to him and shook hands and gave him a tap on the back in support......its frustrating what aker said what he said on the footy show about the 300 gamer when obviously he didnt hear what he said after ''he (aker) would be remembered as a player who has been sacked from 2 clubs'' and went on to say what a great player he was.......aker said what he said on tfs ''least ill be remembered rohan'' and its even more amusing that bubba got a call after akers rant from 1 of brisbane's finst in alister lynch......saying he is a rat and not 1 brisbane player of his era had any respect for the mouth of the south.......

you think the puppies got it right???? i do.....from what ive been told whats happened behind the scenes.....GO DOGS;)

Good ridence, your positive outlook on the Bulldogs is not required anymore.

Take a hike, oh and by the way, if by some good luck and good footy we happen to snare the big one. I just hope you suffer and eat humble pie, you sook.

I, like many others here have been paying membership to the club for many years and yes we hope for a Premiership just like you, but at the end of the day we are still proud of this club and what they stand for. For you my friend you have no idea and appear to be in the same dark corner as Mr. Aker.

I just hope that we come out and rip the shit out of everyone we play from here on and snare the big one, what would you say then?

Ive only ever been in a dark corner once Scragger54. At the end of the 89 season when i woke up and was told by men in suits like fantasia rose and smorgon that there was no option but to lay down and die. BUT I DIDNT - call it the exuberance of youth - i like to think the love of everything FFC. I rattled tins at highpoint for a month and everytime an obstacle was thrown up by the men in suits i met the challenge head on and didnt roll over - We were thousands tens of thousands and we rose up and won. And we didnt win by listening to the tripe comming out of the suits at the club and those who had our best intentions in mind. U can be a yes man all u like.

i dont know u, You may have been a soldier in that war with me. I respect your opinion and ur right to say it. But dont ever tell me to take a hike coz i will still be at the club when u have long gone.

Well said mate, I thought Johno handled himself very well last night on Ch 7 at half time. Another ex player and ex premiership captain in Tom Harley also spoke in our defence.

His other 'mates' on BTG couldn't work out why he would have been sacked either:rolleyes:.

He was a weed in the garden that needed to be pulled out and he summed himself up perfectly with what he said about Johnno and Bubba and his send off of Rose. Aker only gives a s*** about Aker.

Ive only ever been in a dark corner once Scragger54. At the end of the 89 season when i woke up and was told by men in suits like fantasia rose and smorgon that there was no option but to lay down and die. BUT I DIDNT - call it the exuberance of youth - i like to think the love of everything FFC. I rattled tins at highpoint for a month and everytime an obstacle was thrown up by the men in suits i met the challenge head on and didnt roll over - We were thousands tens of thousands and we rose up and won. And we didnt win by listening to the tripe comming out of the suits at the club and those who had our best intentions in mind. U can be a yes man all u like.

i dont know u, You may have been a soldier in that war with me. I respect your opinion and ur right to say it. But dont ever tell me to take a hike coz i will still be at the club when u have long gone.

Let's not forget that Peter Gordon wore a suit. There is nothing wrong with suits

I know this is yesterdays news now (well a few days now), but I've only just read this thread. When I heard the news that Aker had been sacked, I was pretty ambivolent to the whole thing and figured that something bad must have just happened for them to make that decision. However I thought the Bulldogs came out looking very bad after the appearance of Campbell Rose on TFS.

I know a side's supporters will tend to look on the positive side of what is happening, but the whole situation has been very badly managed. Campbell Rose just came out ducking questions and falling back to his chosen "breach of trust" slogan just like a politician does. He didn't answer anything at all, particularly because he was the wrong person to be answering questions. If that was the intention of the club, then fine, but it would have been better off not having anyone on at all. I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but on my Facebook news feed the support for Aker was overwhelming and they were all from neutral supporters.

If there have been issues with Aker since last year then they should never have signed him on for this year. Clearly they only kept him because they thought his form was worth the trouble, a risk-reward scenario in which you clearly lost. There is no way so many conditions should have been put on Aker for him to earn his spot back. He did them and then when a decision was to be made on elevating him back onto the list you just sack him, that looks very, very, very bad, no matter how you twist it. If there was an issue 2 months ago then he should have been sacked on the spot, not draw it out as long as it had been.

I'm sure the whole seize mentality will mean you don't care what outsiders think and I know the club had a very good win today, but if you end the season getting knocked out before the grand final yet again, the questions are going to be raised on if it was the right decision. Heaven forbid the critisism headed your way if you lose the grand final by a small margin.

I thought Campbell Rose handled himself impeccably on TFS and Aker looked like a snivelling kid arguing with his teacher. The bulldogs don't have to go into details about Aker's misdemeanours, everything that needed to be said, was said at the press conference. Aker's been played for a fool by the twin tools, Sammy Newman and the excremental Steve Price. Oh, as for those in the audience cheering Aker on, collective IQ of an ashtray. Well done, Dogs

Heaven forbid the criticism heading your way if you dont make finals yet again.

This isn't a Richmond Vs Bulldogs, thing. Why do people think that just because someone supports an opposition side they can't make an impartial comment. There's no need for some barb being thrown back about their club.

Richmond knows the position they're in, I don't think there will be any critisism heading our way if we don't make the finals again, we know we won't, so what was the point of that comment?

I think I've been on this forum long enough for people to know that I don't troll, in fact the times I've posted on other club's forums could probably be counted on one, maybe two hands. Can't you just argue against my post on it's merits instead?

snip

If there have been issues with Aker since last year then they should never have signed him on for this year. Clearly they only kept him because they thought his form was worth the trouble, a risk-reward scenario in which you clearly lost. There is no way so many conditions should have been put on Aker for him to earn his spot back. He did them and then when a decision was to be made on elevating him back onto the list you just sack him, that looks very, very, very bad, no matter how you twist it. If there was an issue 2 months ago then he should have been sacked on the spot, not draw it out as long as it had been.

I'm sure the whole seize mentality will mean you don't care what outsiders think and I know the club had a very good win today, but if you end the season getting knocked out before the grand final yet again, the questions are going to be raised on if it was the right decision. Heaven forbid the critisism headed your way if you lose the grand final by a small margin.

I agree with your first 2 paragraphs but the above is just plain incorrect. There were troubles 2 months ago and we placed conditions on him to regain his spot. You say that he did them which makes no sense at all. The main issue 2 months back was the lying and getting the club into bad publicity again. Since the gay article he leaked information about a meeting to his mate Sam, which is well against the club rules and then to make it worse lied about telling him.

We also had the dribbler comment which again was bad publicity for the club and again against club rules (publicly belittling an opposition player / coach).

And then you have the I'm in the top 5 players at the club comment also whilst on suspension.

So basically after he was put on suspension he ****ed up 3 times and news of his book which will be released during the finals was leaked. So yeah, 4 strikes - 1 more than the norm for Aker.

And if people are going to mention Aker if we lose a final they may want to look at his poor record in finals for the Bulldogs.

All that said I am glad we got him. It was worth the risk and I enjoyed having him as a Bulldog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see the Footy Show and am not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but thought this seemed like an objective take on the whole issue:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/23/2962558.htm?site=thedrum

I have never had much time for Gerard Whately but after reading this article I have changed my opinion somewhat. He had put pen to paper and written exactly what I have thought since watching the pathetic and woeful performance by "you know who".

I didn't see the Footy Show and am not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but thought this seemed like an objective take on the whole issue:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/23/2962558.htm?site=thedrum

Thanks for posting that Doggette. Much appreciated. It was an interesting article :)

Gerard Whately also has a really good football show on Wednesday nights with Robbo(for people who have Foxtel) and he is on Before the bounce? on Friday(Foxtel again) and the Offsiders? on ABC on Sunday mornings. I find his analysis of the issues really interesting.

Reading the comments under the article, it's interesting that "Yes, but..." is still stubbornly held on to by some who refuse to acknowledge the facts and the reality of what it means to belong to a football club. And that some will turn on our captain on the dubious word of this unreliable person is deplorable.

Other supporters of Aker

The very un-funny Dave Hughes
And some slag called Rita from SEN

As Eade said, time to move on.

I have never had much time for Gerard Whately but after reading this article I have changed my opinion somewhat. He had put pen to paper and written exactly what I have thought since watching the pathetic and woeful performance by "you know who".

Gerard Whately knows his footy and is really a friendly bloke. For four years I tipped with him on 774 and met him twice during my visits. What I really enjoyed about him was knowing that every time I beat him in the weekly tipping, another hair on his head turned grey! His article on "X" is spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Footy Show

Remove this Banner Ad

Back