The Future of Sheeds

Remove this Banner Ad

Arch

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2000
The Pub.
I was just pondering.....

Do you think Sheeds would retire at the end of season 2001 if we happened to win the flag again ????? If we dont win the flag, do you think sheeds would stick around, thinking that he has the side at his disposal that could net him at least another flag ??? I just wanna know what you think sheeds will do, and how much the success of the side dictates what his descison is.

And should Harvs become the new head coach after sheedys does retire ??? Or will we lose him to another club, that offers him the top job ???? Id really hope we didnt lose Harvs, as I think he;d be a really top line coach.

thoughts ??

arch i dont think sheeds will stay around for selfish reasons, to tell the truth i dont think he has even thought about post 2001, i think the future for sheeds beyond essendon (whenever that may be) will be in the afl, there is no doubt sheeds is a great marketer for the game and im sure he would hang around
i dont know if i can see sheeds doing a job like parkin, i dont know how suited he would be to it
it would be great to see harvs step up, he has the two most important things to be a good coach, the knowledge of the game and the respect of the players
if we were to lose harvs, hopefully bomber thompson would be out of contract and will come home, he is a great coach, the players and the fans love him and would be a great benifit

Arch
I thinks sheeds will retire after next year win or lose. I also hope that harvs stays on as coach along with TD. Who knows maybe Bomber or ND will come back.

------------------
mantis

Sheeds ain't going anywhere till the end of 2002, he's signed till the end of 2002 and desperately wants to coach 500 games which will come up during 2002.

He was rambling on about becoming the Bart Cummings of the AFL yesterday and trying win as many premierships as Bart has Melbourne Cups.

Don't sound like talk from a man who's thinking about retiring.

Looking in from outside I think that sheeds is 'bolted' in at essendon - I would suspect the only person who would decide whether he stays or gos is shhedy himself

I base this on these facts:

He is the ultimate survivor - his 18 years show that - forget what he says at any one time - those comments (like the Bart Cummings ones) are meant for the moment

His opponents (in admin at least - not sure about the board)have large,y moved on so everyone is now sheedy men

Any coach who turned in last years performance would e safe for a few years yet

Hasn't Sheeds taken to delegating the coaching tasks to his assistants? In essense, he plots strategy and has the final say, while Harvey and the others work out the finer points of implementing it. If that's the case, then the job for him is much less stressful and hence, he could go on for a lot longer. The current squad should win at least one more premiership for him, maybe 2 and with some luck 3....but if he finishes his coaching career with 6 or 7 flags under his belt, he'll be up there with Norm Smith and Jock McHale. I reckon his ego is big enough for him to continue on for as long as he can keep the success coming. But if the squad breaks up for one reason or another, he may not have the desire (or the club may not give him the time) to build up another team.

Sheedy is a coach at heart. I don't think he will go into admin, or anything. It's not his thing. He deperately wants Essendon to hold the record number of premierships on our own. Not equal. He has equalled the record 3 times now, only to see Carlton pull one ahead a few years later. He desperately wants number 17.

If he continues to coach, it will be with Essendon. He is a football person, and doesn't bet "bored" with it, like, say Malcolm Blight.

Whose to say, Sheedy won't coach Essendon for the next 10 years. He's only 53, or 54, or something, and the role of the coach is now "shared" around more.

Why can't he still be the coach in 2010 ? Who knows, the closer he gets to Jock McHales record (714 games as a coach), the more he might feel he can break that record.

shins,
i think thats kinda what I was getting at there. Would the success of the side be the determining factor in how long he stays??

Would the ego allow him to continue when Essendon does hit a rough patch ??? Or would he do the malthouse thing and bail out when he knew rough times were coming ????

I personally would like him stay and maybe break a few of those records- but would also like to see the next long term coach of the Bombers be given the reigns in the not TOO distant future hopefully before 2003-4.

D24- You may be right that Sheeds is a pure coach- but I think it would be a big loss to AFL football if post-essendon sheedy wasnt put to the task of working in the AFL for the overall betterment, and promotion of our game.

cheers

A.

Arch

I think the success of the side affects Sheeds in an *indirect* way. Say in a couple of years time, for whatever reason, this side doesn't dominate and fall down the ladder. I reckon that Sheedy would be hungry enough to create a new side...it would be his FOURTH team after 84/85, 93 (a hybrid of the past and future, but still a distinct side), and the current team. But the question is whether the club administrators would allow him to go on. He outmanouevered them with his last contract negotiation, but could he do it again?

If Sheeds was to leave Essendon, I'd hope that the AFL would give him some role. He's main aim was always to promote Essendon, but he's also promoted football as a byproduct of that. However, he may be too independently minded for the people that run the AFL.

Why this talk of Sheedy retiring? Take a look at - say - English Premier League soccer. They have managers there that are successully coaching into their 60's - Robson is one that springs to mind; he would be caretaker coach of England at the moment if Newcastle hadn't have blocked him.

Who is to say that Sheedy still won't be coaching in another 10 years time. He appears far to smart to allow himself to be washed up and it is not like the game is getting ahead of him as he is the one setting the new boundaries.

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

I believe Sheeds will try for another 2 flags within the next 5 years, as some have said his duties are diminished with the help of the support cast, so he can go for another 5 at least.

If I were him I'd try to ride with this present bunch for another 5 years, by then it would probably be time to rebuild. This could be a great era and Sheeds will want to be at the helm. Who could blame him. I do hope he picks a premiership year to go out on, he deserves to exit on a high.

I don't know about Harvs, has been great for the defence, but I'm not sure about the head coach position? I would like to see Gary O'Donnell back at the club, he was always a great communicator and leader, who possessed the smarts for coaching. Or there's always Neil or Bomber to call back
smile.gif

Cheers.

------------------
RED & BLACK BACK to BACK 2001!

I was just pondering.....

Do you think Sheeds would retire at the end of season 2001 if we happened to win the flag again ????? If we dont win the flag, do you think sheeds would stick around, thinking that he has the side at his disposal that could net him at least another flag ??? I just wanna know what you think sheeds will do, and how much the success of the side dictates what his descison is.

And should Harvs become the new head coach after sheedys does retire ??? Or will we lose him to another club, that offers him the top job ???? Id really hope we didnt lose Harvs, as I think he;d be a really top line coach.

thoughts ??

Still alive:D

arch i dont think sheeds will stay around for selfish reasons, to tell the truth i dont think he has even thought about post 2001, i think the future for sheeds beyond essendon (whenever that may be) will be in the afl, there is no doubt sheeds is a great marketer for the game and im sure he would hang around
i dont know if i can see sheeds doing a job like parkin, i dont know how suited he would be to it
it would be great to see harvs step up, he has the two most important things to be a good coach, the knowledge of the game and the respect of the players
if we were to lose harvs, hopefully bomber thompson would be out of contract and will come home, he is a great coach, the players and the fans love him and would be a great benifit

Lol, well look how much things change in seven years. We are still asking the same question!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Future of Sheeds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back