Autopsy The gentle dogs go down in a thriller

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he? I missed that, was that brought up in the post game? Easy choice then for Buss to slide in. JOD can stay forward another week, did ok there mostly matched up with a pretty good defender.

Edit - Yep just saw it on twitter, will be very disappointed if Buss isn't in next week.

Given freo have Jackson, Amiss and Treacy, he has to be in.

Yes tonight was disappointing yet hardly surprising.

Despite he who won't be named crapping on about the quality of our list, too much of that list is still developing.

Can't have the quality of players we had out tonight and expect miracles. Without Darcy last week we do not win. Throw in Naughts as a high forward, Weightman and Harmes who has kicked some important goals it was clear we would struggle in this area.

Red has become our point of difference mid out tonight and we have not even had B Smith at all.

We are a mid tier team with a number of development players. It has been coming together but tonight showed how much we rely on our genuine top end.

Get Buss in the team now, play JOD as a defender to grow and develop a defensive group.

The umpires were poor tonight no doubt, but we simply were not good enough and injuries have us playing some players who are done. However we should be approaching next week as a winnable game

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brisbane had better team work, better mindset, better structures, were too tall, too fast, too physical, better positioned, better coached, handled the ball far more cleanly, exerted enormous pressure on our ball carriers all night and outpointed us in nearly every stat. Apart from that it was a pretty close game.

I can't think of a single positional winner anywhere on the ground but maybe if I read through the team list I'll find one or two.

The umpires had nothing to do with it so please let's not make that excuse. We were lucky to get away with just a 43 point loss.

Oh umpires had no bearing on the result.

But the first quarter, every contest Andrews had with JOD or Lobb he had one of their arms pinned. There was a later one on the Docklands wing where Andrews pretty much assaulted Lobb. Play on.

I don't care about the count, I just want consistent interpretation. Or some interpretation even.

One of the most frustrating things about the way we play of late is that we don't make changes until it's too late. We got absolutely smashed in the midfield in the first half, losing the clearances 13-31 with the centre midfielders primarily being Bontempelli, Treloar, Liberatore and Sanders. We did not change our centre set-up until very late in Q2 when West came in for a couple of CBAs.

In the second half we swapped Macrae for Sanders and from Macrae's 8 CBAs he won 3 centre clearances (team high for the night) and the total clearances in the second half were even at 19-19.

Any other team would've made that change at QT and tonight was not an isolated incident, we are serial offenders in this sort of thing, always believing that "the system" will work and it's cost us chances at getting back in games more than once over the last few years.

Just saw the fixture, next week for the 3rd time we get a team coming off a bye despite not having had 1 yet this season ourselves. I know the AFL fixture is always a little odd but that's just straight ridiculous.
Hey don't forget we got Melbourne when we were coming off the bye in Round zero.
That didn't do us any good did it?

Brisbane are a better side than their ladder position reflects.

Our injuries\suspensions have taken their toll, and we had too many passengers this week.

Richards not getting through the concussion was just a bridge too far.

BTW Sanders and Gallagher not travelling as well as it might appear and are arguably only still getting games due to weight of injuries.

I understand a lot of the points being made about umps, draws, injuries, etc. But some observations must be made. Senior players like Lobb, Vandermeer and McNeil looking like chump change. Special mentions for Daniel and Ugle-Hagen for poor performances. Again Juh was off the ground too much for a guy playing in the goal square, doesn't rise to the occasion. Not influencing gajes as he should be given the shennanigans about hus contract. Wish he had signed with Sydney on a buddy deal instead of stinking it up eith us. Daniel looks like his contract will not be renewed past this season, sad but there can be no mercy.

I know it was his first game back but Libba is not what he was. I could see him being retired at the end of the season.

Macrae is just a hack, plays like he is wearing divers' boots.

West was also pretty average, he is a bit of a passenger at the moment, not as bad as 9-5 JUH but still bad.

Gallagher and Sanders looked really green and have a long way to go. Not sure either will be more than just the the next McNeil or vanderneer, guys who rack up games without really justifying their selection.

Think people are realising that we’ve over corrected on speed at the complete expense of foot skills.

VDM, Gallagher, Bramble, McNeil may offer varying degrees of pace but they are also complete butchers of the ball.

If they aren’t offering well above average output in defensive parts of the game they are essentially complete liabilities. Sadly our list profile is a bit whack in certain positions and our options are limited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to turn the game off in the 2nd quarter for my own mental health.

You could just tell that we had no game plan against this team and just no effort at all and most of our goals were out of luck.

This new holding the ball interpretation is awful. We get pinged so much now but then never get rewarded for the same action.

And I'm so sick of no bulldogs player ever taking responsibility for an opposing Mid who is killing us, yeah Bevo doesn't imply a tagged but you never see any of the players even actively trying to stop someone like Neale or Daicos last week.

Ps this was my first thread

Come on. We have to have better standards than this.

What we need is an unflinching eye when it comes to the current makeup of our side.

It wasn’t Sydney at the SCG, it was ****ing Brisbane at Marvel. Who have won four games all season and have been beaten by any serious team.
We’d won 6 going into this game. We aren’t Sydney.
I’m so fed up with what passes for acceptable for this team. Tonight was ****ing abysmal.
its a fine line between acceptance and understanding in this game. If you didn’t see tonight’s result coming, then you weren’t looking. This team is missing much of its core and those being asked to fill the breach are either too raw and inexperienced or just plain not up to it. We got away with collingwood because their boat is even leakier than our right now. Brisbane for as poor as they’ve been have been relatively injury free in comparison.

I understand a lot of the points being made about umps, draws, injuries, etc. But some observations must be made. Senior players like Lobb, Vandermeer and McNeil looking like chump change. Special mentions for Daniel and Ugle-Hagen for poor performances. Again Juh was off the ground too much for a guy playing in the goal square, doesn't rise to the occasion. Not influencing gajes as he should be given the shennanigans about hus contract. Wish he had signed with Sydney on a buddy deal instead of stinking it up eith us. Daniel looks like his contract will not be renewed past this season, sad but there can be no mercy.

I know it was his first game back but Libba is not what he was. I could see him being retired at the end of the season.

West was also pretty average, he is a bit of a passenger at the moment, not as bad as 9-5 JUH but still bad.

Gallagher and Sanders looked really green and have a long way to go. Not sure either will be more than just the the next McNeil or vanderneer, guys who rack up games without really justifying their selection.

Too much expected of both - underlining our lack of depth.

Joel F is going to be better than both - making a mockery of us giving up 2 firsts for pick 5.

As soon as I saw Khamis as the sub , I knew we’d lost the game

Umps were terrible. Set up the lions in the 1st half.

Fatigue an issue ?? A joke the lions have had 2 before we have 1

Tackling is not to standard.

Beaten in every contest comprehensivly

I don't think the media reports of him deciding to leave at the end of the season would have helped him here, as unfortunate as this is.
Yes, that's why you don't make those calls mid-season (or at least don't make them public).

I sort of feel sorry for him. I know he's a professional footballer, not a "heart and soul" clubman but we knew that when we got him. It's going to be very hard for him to approach any game with a positive mindset if he's being booed and jeered by his club's own supporters every match he plays.

That's a lose-lose situation. He loses and the team loses. And we've still got 11 games to see out the season.

People have queried the recruitment of Lobb from day 1. I was not keen on it but I was prepared to cheer for him as I do anyone who puts on our jumper. A few weeks ago the claims that it was a dumb trade were getting louder. Then all of a sudden we lose Naughton and Darcy in short order and people are saying what a sound investment it was.

Now, a week later, his effectiveness as a senior player at the Dogs is under a cloud. I hope commonsense prevails and that he gets more chances, that he gets counselled about how to deal with the jeering and stay positive, that the boys rally around him (they will) and - least likely of all - that the fans just shut up while he's wearing our jumper.

If none of that works over the next couple of games then I think we could do worse than give Lachie Smith a run. We will only be longshots for the eight by then anyway if it continues.

West needs to play as a mid. Gallagher down back or on a wing.
Our small forwards are too slow so can’t get out the back - think that’s why we picked up the guy from North Adelaide last week.

Yes, that's why you don't make those calls mid-season (or at least don't make them public).

I sort of feel sorry for him. I know he's a professional footballer, not a "heart and soul" clubman but we knew that when we got him. It's going to be very hard for him to approach any game with a positive mindset if he's being booed and jeered by his club's own supporters every match he plays.

That's a lose-lose situation. He loses and the team loses. And we've still got 11 games to see out the season.

People have queried the recruitment of Lobb from day 1. I was not keen on it but I was prepared to cheer for him as I do anyone who puts on our jumper. A few weeks ago the claims that it was a dumb trade were getting louder. Then all of a sudden we lose Naughton and Darcy in short order and people are saying what a sound investment it was.

Now, a week later, his effectiveness as a senior player at the Dogs is under a cloud. I hope commonsense prevails and that he gets more chances, that he gets counselled about how to deal with the jeering and stay positive, that the boys rally around him (they will) and - least likely of all - that the fans just shut up while he's wearing our jumper.

If none of that works over the next couple of games then I think we could do worse than give Lachie Smith a run. We will only be longshots for the eight by then anyway if it continues.
He’s injured no doubt. We need him atm, feel a bit sorry for him as we didn’t get enough turnover to give him a chance.

What we need is an unflinching eye when it comes to the current makeup of our side.

We’d won 6 going into this game. We aren’t Sydney.

its a fine line between acceptance and understanding in this game. If you didn’t see tonight’s result coming, then you weren’t looking. This team is missing much of its core and those being asked to fill the breach are either too raw and inexperienced or just plain not up to it. We got away with collingwood because their boat is even leakier than our right now. Brisbane for as poor as they’ve been have been relatively injury free in comparison.

Brisbane are missing 4-5 of their best 22. It’s not an appreciable difference.

I saw tonight’s result coming, because we’re an inconsistent team and have been for several years now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back