The Good Things About Dean Laidleys' as Coach of the NMFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

If youre looking at positives then you need to consider that Laidley took over after arguably the greatest period in the history of the club...

he didnt have the greatest player of all time running around at CHF....

he inherited a recruitment mindset of rehabilitating players....

and to be honest who knows how much of a say he had in the recruitment of Hay etc.....considering stibbards gone Id suggest he had minimal say.....

he is widely regarded as a great match day strategist with great support from Daly....

he has made a contribution to our club and if he moves on this shouldnt be forgotten...

Are you trolling for a reaction?

I was wrong on Laidley and Blakey - good work by Schimma
Trading Schwass for Grant was an excellent trade and pretty ballsy

To say that Pagan couldn't contain Pike is laughable. 81 games in 4 years (including a top 6 performance in a Grand Final) was a pretty good return and Pike's departure was his fault and no one else's.

McCartney (who was absolutely rubbish at Adelaide) for Mark Stevens was a good if unspectacular trade for both clubs

Abraham for Stuart Anderson = brilliant. Although Abraham got injured which you probably blame Denis for.

Denny Crane

have you not just said what I said in slightly different wording...

Didn't Scwhatta say he want a fresh start??? and it was just a matter of finding a good deal... bit like Welsh who we got rip off for...

and on McCartney... I remember many North fans thinking what the hell had Pags down for the first 12 rounds of 98... I wasn't one of them... but he was never a superstar... just a bloke that bravely beat the odds after a shocking terrorist attack... a true Aussie hero...

we will have to agree to disagree on Pike... I was was not unhappy when he left...

and no I am not trolling for a reaction...

Don't yah start doing a snrubs on me. This THREAD is about the Good Attributes that Dean Laidleys has as coach. Does he have any in your opinion? You seem to champion his cause yet you've failed to highlight the areas where he is a Good Coach in this thread other then he is a good strategist. This is your chance. Don't worry if we are on the same page. I can assure yah that I'll discuss the issue with you sensibly.

well then lets discuss... what was your answer to my question???

well then lets discuss... what was your answer to my question???
What does the thread title say there Rooboy 96? Pretty Piss Poor on your behalf but I'll yield just so we can be enlightened by your goodself.

hey Zondor... tell me mate... what superstars does Laidley have at his disposal???
At the minute it's Adam Simpson and that's just about it. Gee some would argue that Simmo aint even that with merit. Brent Harvey is a superstar but injured. Wells is a potential superstar but your buddy has failed to get the best out of him. Jesse Smith was showing the signs that he'd be a superstar.:( Petrie and Hamish have pushed for AA selection over the last 2 years. They can be match winners but are they Superstars? I wouldn't say so. We have a solid list of mid tier players. Firrito, Pratt, Gibson, McMahon, Harding, Campbell, Rawlings, Petrie, Hamish, Swallow, Urquhart, Thompson to name a few. Then we have a young list of guys that are showing signs that they may very well be the goods. Hansen, Ziebell, Wright, Warren, Grima & Anthony to name a few.

Over to you champ.

and to be honest who knows how much of a say he had in the recruitment of Hay etc.....considering stibbards gone Id suggest he had minimal say.....
Its got me ****ed how anyone can attribute the blame solely on laidley for hay

We were (and still are) desperate to get a top class full back. Hay was available, was disgruntled, was close to his prime and he was looking for a new club. On face value, Hay was the perfect bloke to throw money at to rebuild a defence that was getting hammered every second week. So the decision was sound.

Laidley would have asked whoever was in charge of the list to go and get him if we had the chance. As I recall it was McDonald who did the negotiating/convincing at the time and I’m not sure who or whether any profiling of potential recruits was done at our club prior to the last few years when the football budget increased. I know they do for the kids being drafted but not sure about the traded guys.

I am still of the belief that all of Hay's on field calamity stuff occurred as a result of his illness, or was heavily impacted by his illness.

Surely it wasn’t Laidleys job to psycho analyse any potential recruit, medicine isnt part of the coaches brief at any club is it. Surely it wasn’t solely Laidleys job to decide which draft picks to offer for Hay and if it was then the admin need to wear the wrap here as there clearly needs to be some segregation of duties between list management and coaching.

Laidley as coach would have asked whoever was in charge that they try and get him and left all the other stuff to the medical staff and the list managers. But that would have been on the proviso that he was 'fit', both mentally and physically, and within the limitations of what the club could afford (both salary and what it would cost to trade for him).

How can this be Laidleys fault?

I would never consider him selfish. I would consider him to be useless. How many times do we see him change his game plan from the crap one we have all seen this year and in 2006 to the positive one we have seen in patches over the past few weeks, and then back again. Yet it still hasn't occurred to him that playing that crap backwards, sidewards and negative football is not the answer. Take Saturday for instance. We were five goals up, had the Saints on the run and were playing hard attacking positive football. Suddenly we see players stop on the wing in front of the interchange area, hold the ball up in the air, turn and kick backwards. We never recovered. These are instructions from the coach. Its not a 300 game player reading the situation and using his experience to hold the ball up. Its the young kids that are doing it which means its coming directly from the coach. It doesn't work but for some reason only Laidley seems to think it does.

The other area in which he is useless is player management. How Thomas keeps getting a game whilst Harris is continually in and out of the side is beyond me. Surely Harris would be a better option in a forward pocket than Thomas at the moment but because Dean can't put his personal differences aside and pick the side on merit, we are suffering onfield. Add to that his other falling outs - that we know of - with Macintosh and Jones, his hanging Wells and Gibson out to dry via the media and i'm not sure how many on our list, apart from Thomas, actually like him.

The only reason he got another contract in 2007 was because the club was being run by incompetent fools more interested in the Gold Coast than on field success.

The sooner he goes the better.

Not sure if you've really understood the idea of this thread, Mr Sheffield.

His man management is simply not up to AFL level.

All coaches have their run ins with players.

None have as many, as vicious, as Dean.

That said, he can be a very good tactician - see his dismantling of Hawthorn etc - and he has had to work under some very, very trying circumstances.

When he leaves at the end of the year, my view will be 'Thanks Dean, you worked hard, you didn't have it easy but it didn't work out in the end'.

At the minute it's Adam Simpson and that's just about it. Gee some would argue that Simmo aint even that with merit. Brent Harvey is a superstar but injured. Wells is a potential superstar but your buddy has failed to get the best out of him. Jesse Smith was showing the signs that he'd be a superstar.:( Petrie and Hamish have pushed for AA selection over the last 2 years. They can be match winners but are they Superstars? I wouldn't say so. We have a solid list of mid tier players. Firrito, Pratt, Gibson, McMahon, Harding, Campbell, Rawlings, Petrie, Hamish, Swallow, Urquhart, Thompson to name a few. Then we have a young list of guys that are showing signs that they may very well be the goods. Hansen, Ziebell, Wright, Warren, Grima & Anthony to name a few.

:thumbsu: pretty fair summation there,but i reckon matty campbell is better than solid,he's got the pace and the X factor ;)

When he started, he got the senior players to learn about someone who had previously worn their guernsey number for the NMFC. Then they had to bring that guy to training, introduce him to the players, and tell them all about his career.

This forced our youngsters to learn that pulling on the stripes isn't just about a game of footy - they are making a contribution to a long and proud history. :thumbsu:

Its got me ****ed how anyone can attribute the blame solely on laidley for hay

We were (and still are) desperate to get a top class full back. Hay was available, was disgruntled, was close to his prime and he was looking for a new club. On face value, Hay was the perfect bloke to throw money at to rebuild a defence that was getting hammered every second week. So the decision was sound.

Laidley would have asked whoever was in charge of the list to go and get him if we had the chance. As I recall it was McDonald who did the negotiating/convincing at the time and I’m not sure who or whether any profiling of potential recruits was done at our club prior to the last few years when the football budget increased. I know they do for the kids being drafted but not sure about the traded guys.

I am still of the belief that all of Hay's on field calamity stuff occurred as a result of his illness, or was heavily impacted by his illness.

Surely it wasn’t Laidleys job to psycho analyse any potential recruit, medicine isnt part of the coaches brief at any club is it. Surely it wasn’t solely Laidleys job to decide which draft picks to offer for Hay and if it was then the admin need to wear the wrap here as there clearly needs to be some segregation of duties between list management and coaching.

Laidley as coach would have asked whoever was in charge that they try and get him and left all the other stuff to the medical staff and the list managers. But that would have been on the proviso that he was 'fit', both mentally and physically, and within the limitations of what the club could afford (both salary and what it would cost to trade for him).

How can this be Laidleys fault?

ROFL. That is the biggest piece of revisionist crap I have ever read on these boards.

Jonathan Hay was close to the top of his prime when we drafted him? LMAO. He was turning up to training doped on sleeping pills. Was playing the worst footy of his career at the Hawks, and had the baddest off field rep in the league. :eek::eek::eek:

It wasn't Dean laidley's fault? McDonald was responsible for convicning Hay to come to North???

What a laugh. This is what Hay said after he came to the Roos:

"Ever since (coach) Dean (Laidley) and (chief executive) Geoff (Walsh) made the effort to see me at Byron Bay, my mind was made to come to the Kangaroos."
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204621

Straight from the horses mouth that it was Laidley's personal visit that convinced Hay to leave Hawthorn.

But keep deluding yourself that it was McDonald that did the negotiating/convincing for the trade:D:D:D

So, would it be fair to say that after 6 pages, the main good things that have come out about Laidley is he has done very well under tough circumstances, and can be a great, but sometimes inconsistent, tactician?

Gee, I thought the great Laidley defenders could come up with a bit more than that...

So, would it be fair to say that after 6 pages, the main good things that have come out about Laidley is he has done very well under tough circumstances, and can be a great, but sometimes inconsistent, tactician?

Gee, I thought the great Laidley defenders could come up with a bit more than that...

Well if you're so smart how come your posts per page aren't set to 50? Huh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But keep deluding yourself that it was McDonald that did the negotiating/convincing for the trade:D:D:D

My understanding is that serious questions were raised about Hay's health, which McDonald, using his 'inside knowledge' of Hawthorn, assured everyone was OK.

So in that regard, if Dean did personally want him to come over and was relying on McDonald's info, then he can't be squarely blamed.

But let's be clear. Everyone involved in that stuff up at any level should hang their heads in shame.

When he started, he got the senior players to learn about someone who had previously worn their guernsey number for the NMFC. Then they had to bring that guy to training, introduce him to the players, and tell them all about his career.

This forced our youngsters to learn that pulling on the stripes isn't just about a game of footy - they are making a contribution to a long and proud history. :thumbsu:
Good example rb.

It wasnt laidleys fault that Harris brought micky martyn along even though he was still at the club.

In hindsight it probably wasnt the best start for him as coach.

ROFL. That is the biggest piece of revisionist crap I have ever read on these boards.

Jonathan Hay was close to the top of his prime when we drafted him? LMAO. He was turning up to training doped on sleeping pills. Was playing the worst footy of his career at the Hawks, and had the baddest off field rep in the league. :eek::eek::eek:

It wasn't Dean laidley's fault? McDonald was responsible for convicning Hay to come to North???

What a laugh. This is what Hay said after he came to the Roos:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204621

Straight from the horses mouth that it was Laidley's personal visit that convinced Hay to leave Hawthorn.

You can choose to believe what you like, the fact that laidley and walsh paid him the final visit before he signed up means nothing. McDonald was deeply involved in it all, the negotiating with him, his managment, research on the guy from hawthorn buddies, everything, there is no denying it. Laidley can not be solely blamed for this recruitment. Your mate Nev had nothing to do with it?

Any of this does not excuse the fact that there should have been medical checks done on the guy and a rubber stamping of his recruitment needed to be made. Who was responsible for this?

And its funny you should choose to believe players quotes in this situation but not when they say something good about the place and in particular, Laidleys coaching.

And by the way, havent been brave enough to pull out the 'sack laidley' banner at the game I notice. When is it going to make an appearance? Or are you a little scared?

You've got my answer. I stand by it. Do what ever you want with it.

The correct response to your "answer" is
toilet%20flush.jpg

You can choose to believe what you like, the fact that laidley and walsh paid him the final visit before he signed up means nothing. McDonald was deeply involved in it all, the negotiating with him, his managment, research on the guy from hawthorn buddies, everything, there is no denying it. Laidley can not be solely blamed for this recruitment. Your mate Nev had nothing to do with it?

I'm sure if Nev had his way, he would have preffered to have those 2 first rounders from the Hay deal to work with at the draft.

And its funny you should choose to believe players quotes in this situation but not when they say something good about the place and in particular, Laidleys coaching.

I believe Laidley can coach, just not very well:D

And by the way, havent been brave enough to pull out the 'sack laidley' banner at the game I notice. When is it going to make an appearance? Or are you a little scared?

What are you talking about mate. It's right in the middle of the cheersquad, you can't miss it:thumbsu:

Its interesting that Laidley is copping all the flak, Nev has been walked but no mention ever about Donald Mcdonald..as the chief of footy at the club is he also responsible for the past 7 years??

Wins against the odds against Hawthorn - H&A as well as that magic final - Bulldogs, Collingwood and the Saints in particular stand out. It seems to suit some people to look back at seasons where we pulled these wins out against all expectations as wasted years where we could have been tanking for draft picks, but they were bloody proud days for our club and Dean's tactics, selections and motivation were critical.

From the outside he seems to have done what he was asked to by the Board - stayed competitive and was active in trading while that was what they wanted, then switched to youth and excitement when the power changed and the expectations of him with it.

Might not have made all the hard calls some would have liked but made some very tough ones with ex-teammates to kick off a new era.

Brought some talent in and developed a fair few players beyond their reputed capabilities to form a team that has almost always performed well above expectations and well beyond what is supposed to be possible from where we've drafted.

He's one of us and has generally given the impression from the start that coaching North - despite a lot of crap conditions other guys would not accept, and which kept plenty from even applying - was a great job, not a second choice or apprenticeship until a proper club came knocking.

He has saved our club from the humiliation many have gone through. Can't be underestimated, with the salary cap and spending constraints, the lack of draft hand, the bad luck with two of the more promising draftees we've had and the turnover from a successful period he's managed his way through. We came 14th one year, in between playing finals, even losing ones, and we can't stop thinking about how embarrassing that was. We owe him a lot that it our experience of the post-Pagan years hasn't been much worse.

Whenever we move on - and I'm happy for it to be after this year - I hope he gets all the credit internally I'm sure he'll be given from the outside.

Apparently Simmo's presentation was kinda awkward, too.
Why, I heard Mark Dawson spoke very well about our long and proud history.

Wins against the odds against Hawthorn - H&A as well as that magic final - Bulldogs, Collingwood and the Saints in particular stand out. It seems to suit some people to look back at seasons where we pulled these wins out against all expectations as wasted years where we could have been tanking for draft picks, but they were bloody proud days for our club and Dean's tactics, selections and motivation were critical.

From the outside he seems to have done what he was asked to by the Board - stayed competitive and was active in trading while that was what they wanted, then switched to youth and excitement when the power changed and the expectations of him with it.

Might not have made all the hard calls some would have liked but made some very tough ones with ex-teammates to kick off a new era.

Brought some talent in and developed a fair few players beyond their reputed capabilities to form a team that has almost always performed well above expectations and well beyond what is supposed to be possible from where we've drafted.

He's one of us and has generally given the impression from the start that coaching North - despite a lot of crap conditions other guys would not accept, and which kept plenty from even applying - was a great job, not a second choice or apprenticeship until a proper club came knocking.

He has saved our club from the humiliation many have gone through. Can't be underestimated, with the salary cap and spending constraints, the lack of draft hand, the bad luck with two of the more promising draftees we've had and the turnover from a successful period he's managed his way through. We came 14th one year, in between playing finals, even losing ones, and we can't stop thinking about how embarrassing that was. We owe him a lot that it our experience of the post-Pagan years hasn't been much worse.

Whenever we move on - and I'm happy for it to be after this year - I hope he gets all the credit internally I'm sure he'll be given from the outside.

Awesome post. He has had sooo many plusses - starting with taking on the Roos on a down cycle for low $$$ (apparently). I think some coaches are wary that coaching the roos could be a bad career move, with the money,training issues, and even question marks about our home location and future. Don't hear too much Mick Nunan & Robert Shaw these days.

He should go next year, he has had enough time. But that doesn't mean he hasn't done pretty well, it just means we need a change.

Yeah id gladly trade our last 2 premierships for a couple of gutsy wins during Schimma's time as coach. Bugger building a list to win flags, just do whatever it takes not to get flogged.

Btw is this what we were doing back in Schimma's day, tanking for draft picks? No, then why would a team ever do it?

And the ladder?

1. StKilda - reckon their supporters are thinking, 'hand back draft picks' now?
2. Geelong - build a solid group of youngsters, remember the days Thompson was mostly likely to be sacked? He stuck to his plan and it paid off, BIG time.
3. Bulldogs - Spent a few years at the bottom rebuilding. Less time than some teams in this group. However probably less likely to win it and likely to have to have the smallest window of opportunity because of it.
4. Carlton - spent time at the bottom gathering the best young talent around.

7. Hawthorn (premiers) - ditto

Ive was always proud of our U19 record, that our club led the way in identifying the best young talent around. We have historically been leaders in this aspect of the game. By no means am i suggesting we dont try to win, its great to see a young team give their all, they will develop into better players for it. But rebuilding and giving youngsters a go typically means mistakes and the loses come with it. Doesnt mean they mean they arent trying.

Over to you champ.

Tactically very good we have all accepted this... however some seem to discount this as something not very important... I don't

Bleeds Blue and White - today we have the same Dean Laidley that retired on 99 games for North... early in a season... he did not hang around bleeding the club for payments once he realised he was of no further value... just retired and said thanks... have to admire him for that...

Wears his heart on his sleeve - love the way Dean expresses himself... you know when he is happy and when he is pissed... good trait for a coach I reckon...

Hates the media - something any self respecting North person should do... Denis did...

Put our football club above himself - fights for more money for the football department... not himself... the football department...

and I think Denny Crane said it best himself when he listed the crap Dean has been forced to coach... I assume this is due to the club having less resources to spend on recruiting then other clubs...

B Kasey Green Jon Hay David Trotter
HB Justin Perkins Shannon Watt Mark Powell
C Michael Stevens Lance Picioane Leigh Brown
HF Cameron Thurley Jade Rawlings Shane Harvey
F David Bourke Brent LeCras Eddie Sansbury
R David Hale Sam Power Ben Davies
I Daniel McConnell, Ashley Watson, Chad Jones, Troy Schwarze

E Matt Riggio, Kris Shore

and yet he has still managed to maintain an almost equal win loss count over seven years... very impressive... I was amazed Danny Crane mentioned this... but it just shows we can all see the light...

I am not a player so have very little knowledge as to how he handles them... if he upsets them by being honest??? but I like what I saw Laids do with Thomo during quarter time break against Geelong... took him aside and showed him how to position himself better... bit of one on one... just what Thomo needed at that time...

when it comes down to it I like him as a North person just like many don't like him as a coach... I feel he has been hard done by and really think he can succeed as a coach if given the same resources as many others... and maybe a recruiting department that does not need the coach to get involved in decisions during trade week...

sorry we can't all spend our entire lives sitting in a chatboard... glad that is all you have to do but don't expect the same from me... please... :D:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good Things About Dean Laidleys' as Coach of the NMFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back