The greatest match I have ever seen

Remove this Banner Ad

The '94 qualifying final. Brownless has just kicked the goal and the siren has gone. Out of frustration I'm trying to pull my seat out of its casing so that I could whack the nearest Geelong supporter with it. During my exertations I gradually become aware of someone tapping me on the shoulder, so I look up and this Geelong supporter says to me "you have to admit that was the best finish to a footy match that youve ever seen" What could I do but agree?

For pure adrenalin rush though, nothing beats June 11 1984. Graeme Allan kicks the ball to Simon Beasley in the Footscray goal square and the siren goes. That was the first time I'd seen the doggies beat Collingwood. We gave the pubs around the western oval(Rising sun,the Albert, The buck) a workout that night. They dont play games like that anymore.

------------------
...Son, if youre going to follow the Doggies you'll need a sense of humour...

Well i dont know if it was the most skillful game ive ever seen, but the one that touches me with raw emotion would have to be the Hawthorn v Melbourne Preliminary Final, i was sitting on the very back row on the wing at Waverley back in the days when supporters could stand behind the seats to watch the game. Surrounded by success starved Melbourn supporters with one particular gal pulling at my scarfe every time Melbourne kicked a goal. It seemed like everything was going against us, kicking into a gale for 3 quarters as the wind swung around, Dermie switched to CHB in the last quarter in what seemed a desperation move. Never thinking we were going to win, then something strange happened, was Melbournes fairy tale turning into a nightmare? Eishold misses from what seems centremetres out from goal. Into the last 30 seconds Langford to Tuck to Ayres to BUKENAAARAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, surely to far out, whats this the Irismans run across the mark, 15 metre penalty, noone else you would rather have the ball, crowd is silent, off the boot ITS TRUE, Hawthorn supporters previously strangers are hugging and kissing, look around to see total despair on the Melbourne faces, gotta feel sorry for them NAH. Truly an ecstatic feeling

Wally went with:
The best game of footy i've attended was the 1984 second semi final. It was the first ever final to be played on Sunday

Correction; 'twas the second. Collingwood played Fitzroy in the Elimination Final (aka the Ian McMullin benefit match) the previous Sunday.

Originally posted by Wally:
The best game of footy i've attended was the 1984 second semi final. It was the first ever final to be played on Sunday. The Hawks beat us by 8 points, but it was a magnificent match. Any Hawk supporters out there remember it?

where's wally?

Awesome game Wally, Dipper and Neagle going hammer and tongs at each other all day. Eade getting the last goal of the game with a half minute to go (or therabouts) back and forth all day. Two stand out teams playing suberb footy. Should have been the GF (more so for the actual RESULT of the GF two weeks later!)
frown.gif

Grendel,
Yeah, a great exhibition of our game. Two things stand out in my memory. How dark it was that day (I think they were in the process of erecting the light towers). The other was seeing an Essendon lady crying at the end of the game. I remember leaving the ground disappointed, but knew we'd get yers if we got another crack. Up until that day we were'nt really sure we could beat yers (after you beat twice during the season, remember yers flogging us in the wet at Princes Park) But we stood toe to toe with yers that day and it gave us lot of confidence. I still say it's the best game of footy i've seen, despite the result.
Cheers.

where's wally?

Lol with the memory of the darkness Wally. Mate i was sat at the VERY last row top flight at the back of the old Southern stand. Maybe thats why i cant say its the best game ive ever seen (see Rnd6 89 thread) but i marvel at what i could make out through the gloom!
wink.gif

Lol with the memory of the darkness Wally. Mate i was sat at the VERY last row top flight at the back of the old Southern stand. Maybe thats why i cant say its the best game ive ever seen (see Rnd6 89 thread) but i marvel at what i could make out through the gloom!
wink.gif

Originally posted by Eagle_Fan:
So just what happened in the '95 WC v Carlton game? I know I was there, but can't for the life of me remember it! Repressed memory perhaps?

I'd agree that Essendon do seem to be involved in the most dramatic/exciting games, but most of them involve such small margins! You could read many things into that, what do you think?

I've never seen it, but I gather the '89 GF was pretty good? What about the '94 final where McGuane was running into an open goal as the siren went, and we won by 2 points?

Also in '94, the semi between Geelong and North, that put the cats into the GF. Ablett taking a mark in front of Mick Martyn in the goal square with seconds to go? Great stuff.

Exciting finals are just so much better than H & A games, simply because of the implications of losing.

Your memory is up shit creek EagleFan...some fan you are!
wink.gif

95 Eagles v Calrton - Spalding collected Mckenna with a massive hip and shoulder...one of the biggest ive seen...Koutofides from memory had about 30 marks that day as well...a real great win!

Mcguane wasnt running into an open goal in the 94 final, he dropped a tricky chest mark with about 10 seconds left and when the siren went, mcguane wasnt running into goal, the ball was in a pack on the ground.

It was a prelim in 94 as well Eaglefan, not a semi that Ablett kicked a goal after the siren to win the game.

The best game i've ever seen 1990 VFA Grand Final Williamstown v's Springvale .

Billy Swans goal to put Willi in front is a memory to take to my grave. He hasent kicked 45 m before this day and since.

To be 27 points down against a much better side and win by 2 points .AWESOME. This game should be played to all people playing in any must win game it shows that you should never give in.

GO THE SKULL !!!
J.I.T.C
THE DOC

Remove this Banner Ad

The greatest match I have ever seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back