The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

When we have high inflation and high housing prices then yes. We need high interest rates.
Can you please tell me how higher interest rates reduce cost-push inflation? I understand how they reduce demand-pull inflation, but not cost-push.

Can you also please tell me how much I can expect high interest rates to bring down the cost of houses by? Or are there perhaps other, more effective ways to manage that, like adding a massive amount of housing supply and reducing incentives for property investment to lower demand?

The greens say we need lower interest rates to improve housing affordability.
Where did they say this? I've only seen them say lower interest rates will provided cost of living relief for struggling mortgage holders. When it comes to housing affordability I've seen them call for fiscal policy solutions (such as investment in public housing and an end to negative gearing on properties) rather than monetary policy.

What a BS response. The Greens are trying to blackmail the Treasurer into using a power that has never, EVER been used in Australia.
So what? If it exists, it can be used. They're within their rights to ask for the government to use powers that they have.

The political grandstanding continues. It's either good legislation, or it isn't. The Greens need to stop with this "we'll support x, if you do y" garbage, when y has nothing to do with x.
Funny, when people were condemning the Greens for not immediately expressing their enthusiastic support for Labor's emissions targets a few years ago, I remember those people saying "pass the bill now, then when Labor need a favour in future, ask them to increase the emissions target in return". Now I see someone suggesting the conplete opposite.

This view seems to me like it's demanding the utter supremacy of the two major parties, letting them set the agenda and not allowing any sort of negotiation. Albo's way or the highway. The thing is, each party's voters are voting for an agenda, and it's perfectly valid to make support on another matter a quid pro quo for more of that agenda. People are always welcome to vote for Labor if they think Labor policy is good and want it waved through, and to vote for the Coalition if they don't. Enough people didn't do that to allow room for negotiation and horse trading. That's democracy.

Yes, yes, it’s all the majors’ fault and the poor widdle Greens are always negotiating in good faith. Lol

Them plucky underdogs would never grandstand or engage in bullshit populism.

All I see is straw-men, whataboutism and deflection in this thread about a pathetic, childish amendment from an unserious political party that will never be more than fringe movement.

Yes, yes, it’s all the majors’ fault and the poor widdle Greens are always negotiating in good faith. Lol

All I see is straw-men, whataboutism and deflection in this thread about a pathetic, childish amendment from an unserious political party that will never be more than fringe movement.
Ok

The majors are what got us into this mess to begin with. Why keep doing the same thing when it's clearly not working?

Tell me, are a group of well-off bankers going to prioritise what is good for ordinary people, or what is good for the finance industry?
They make their margins no matter what the rate is. It makes virtually no difference to them. In fact they will make more money as rates come down than they make with rates going up.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back