The Gumby Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring on Gumby the Destroyer!

456148_445971925413536_1171832213_o.jpg

I understand the hype about Gumby and the romance of playing him, but there are many important factors to consider.

In my mind the story is very similar to Courtney Johns - A guy who had a heap of upside and potential, and one who the club persisted with for many years despite very serious injuries. He nearly made it, too.

One of the regrets that Sheedy has was that once Johns finally got his body right, they brought him into the side too quickly, and his confidence copped a battering and never recovered. His career subsequently ended.

Now Gumby is a superstar prospect and the club has persisted with him. He finally looks like his injuries are under control and there is the real hope that the patience and persistence will pay off.

This is all the more reason to get the timing right - if he is to make it and be all that he can, the timing is crucial. He has been on the list for 6 years for a total of 22 games, none of which have been played since 2010. He has, by all accounts, performed well in his few VFL games so far this year and is tracking well.

But forwards don't impact on the premier competition overnight. To place him under the pressure and expectation of the supporters to be a match winner is unrealistic at this stage - he needs to ease into it, develop form and confidence. If he can't star at VFL level, what hope does he have in the seniors? He must build that confidence.

By all means, if he plays well tomorrow, bringing him in against Port on neutral territory may be a worthwhile risk, that's for the coaches to decide. But to expect him to come in against the Saints in front of a rabid and expectant crowd and take the game apart without much VFL form and match fitness would be a ridiculous risk.

Things aren't going that well at the club in certain respects - we need some quality mids, and we need players who can be matchwinners when the heat is really on. Jobe can't win the middle by himself. Trust the coaches to time Gumby's return properly for the longer-term, not the short.

The timing is right when Hurley is injured and Crameri is suspended.

Precisely. Whilst I agree that you would want to bring him back when he is ultimately ready to go and full of confidence it has got to the stage where we need to bring him in as we have run out of other options. He is not injured and is available for selection therefore you have to bring him in to the side.

I agree that when Crameri and Hurley are injured and suspended we need somebody. The problem is the expectation and pressure that he will be under to perform from the outset which is why I suggested that Port next week may be the go. It will be a risk to play him, but a risk the club will be forced to take because the season hasn't much time left and they need to decide what to do with him next year. But it has to be as measured a risk as possible. He may well burst onto the scene, but it's unlikely. And, if he doesn't, then what? I agree we can't die wondering, but when you've invested so much time, patience and effort into a player, do you want to take a gamble and risk throwing it all away just as he looks like coming good? It's a lot tougher than it sounds.

Our hand is forced. The risk has to be taken. Instead of introducing him experimentally, he will be relied upon and chances are it won't work, but I don't think there's an alternative. It's a shame his return won't be more heralded and in "safer" conditions, but that's just how it goes.

Our hand is forced. The risk has to be taken. Instead of introducing him experimentally, he will be relied upon and chances are it won't work, but I don't think there's an alternative. It's a shame his return won't be more heralded and in "safer" conditions, but that's just how it goes.
let's just hope he comes out and kicks 3 or 4.

Can you imagine?

Yeah, I'm a glass-half full kinda guy : odschoolembarrassedemoticon:

let's just hope he comes out and kicks 3 or 4.

Can you imagine?

Yeah, I'm a glass-half full kinda guy : odschoolembarrassedemoticon:

Imagine if he comes out and kicks eight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interested to see the response when he does play. I am expecting him to take a few marks, have 2 or 3 shots for 1 goal and fade out majorly late in the game due to lack of afl match fitness. I'm then expecting the majority of essendon supporters on bigfooty to carry on about how he is no good and should be delisted.

I just hope they think back to 3 rounds ago, before we went to freo when they were defending Hurley hand over fist despite his poor output in the first half of the year and also defending a number of other middle to lower rung players whose outputs have been poor this year.

Ummmm. I don't think he is ready but with Hurley and Crameri out it needs to be considered.

I don't think he's ready either - but it's time to stop stuffing around with the persistent 'project' in the two's.

Play him. Play him until Hurley is fit and if he hasn't justified a spot by then, put him back in the twos and ask him where he would like to be traded to.

I was against him playing last week, and in all reality I am this week but our hand has been forced due to injuries and suspension. We need a lead up forward big time and that is not something we get if playing 3 rucks.

It's time, and I wish the lad the very best of luck should he get named.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gumby Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back