Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

Mullin did a lot right tonight and nothing wrong. Injury might see him miss our next game but he's not getting dropped.

He will get dropped because stewart is an auto in if the hammy is ok and he was the last player in so will be the first is out. But the way he played tonight he might be best 22 next year.

But back on the subject of Tom Atkins, I thought he was immense. Especially in the 1st half when the game was still in dispute.

I just thought all the people that said mannagh wasnt best 22 could form an apology queue 😂

I didn't think he was banging the door down until that last VFL game. Ridiculous that he's having a similar impact at AFL level as he was at VFL.

I don't know if leaving him out for so long was insanity cause this was wasted in the VFL or genius cause they somehow moulded him into this.

I just thought all the people that said mannagh wasnt best 22 could form an apology queue 😂

I'm your classic fence-sitter/reviewer, so I get a pass on that one. :oops:
In saying that, since 2022 we've really held an edge in our front-half diversity of small forwards.
Personally, I was never adverse to adding Mannagh's talents to the brew.
He was superb tonight.

But, PO - the I was wrong thread - any confessions, my son?

I didn't think he was banging the door down until that last VFL game. Ridiculous that he's having a similar impact at AFL level as he was at VFL.

I don't know if leaving him out for so long was insanity cause this was wasted in the VFL or genius cause they somehow moulded him into this.

The scary thing is if he doesnt kick 6 and have 26 in that vfl game it might not have forced their hand and we might never have had this.

I still maintain it was insanity because as someone who's watched a lot of vfl the last 5 years he was clearly above the level. But the one benefit to waiting so long is hes come in very hungry to fill a role and i doubt he goes back anytime soon.

Now you all see why i was calling out for mannagh all year. His inclusion has changed our front half pressure significantly and that and hawkins out for neale is helping us cover the weakness in our midfield.
Hey buddy

“I was right thread”

————————————->

Halfway through the year I was worried about Jack Henry's form, almost questioning his spot in the side. But his last few months - including last night - have been enormous. Been marking everything.

Kolo has been great as well. Not sure if it's correlation or causation, but they both seem to be playing better with Blicavs back there to help them out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Halfway through the year I was worried about Jack Henry's form, almost questioning his spot in the side. But his last few months - including last night - have been enormous. Been marking everything.

Kolo has been great as well. Not sure if it's correlation or causation, but they both seem to be playing better with Blicavs back there to help them out.
I actually felt Jack was carrying something through the first half of the year. Just didn't seem to be covering the ground at all well and looked ginger going into contests.

But it appeared to all turn around rapidly in the middle of the year. He's been back to his 2021 best in the latter half of 2024. Has been winning or halving almost every contest over that time.

And I would agree that Kolo has put together an impressive season as well. The #8 just keeps getting it done, year after year. When those two play their roles as effectively as they have lately, it really frees up the likes of Zuth and Laws to be proactive and damaging out of the back half.

And when you put Blitz back there as well (and even Jedda last night), you're talking a combination of three players off the rookie list, combined with a pick 41, pick 63 and pick 86 as well.

So, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, there are a stack of recruiters out there who were very, very wrong about those six players when they were routinely passed over by them before being snapped up by the Cats.

#lovethisclub

I agree.

Mannagh wasn't bad in the VFL but compared to 2023 he was not nearly as damaging. Plus his pressure game/defensive work looked a bit slack. They also weren't pushing him up the ground enough so I was thinking we were really grooming him as a backup forward pocket.

Then something happened. He had that big VFL game, got his chance in the 1's and was a pressure freak. He pushed really high up the ground and now had a complimentary role to the team.

I always held hopes for Mannagh but wasn't sure if he would get the chance to bring his VFL best form of 2023 to the AFL, at least this year. Who knows what happened behind the scenes to get us to this place and whether changing anything would've been better/worse. We can't really complain right now.

I agree.

Mannagh wasn't bad in the VFL but compared to 2023 he was not nearly as damaging. Plus his pressure game/defensive work looked a bit slack. They also weren't pushing him up the ground enough so I was thinking we were really grooming him as a backup forward pocket.

Then something happened. He had that big VFL game, got his chance in the 1's and was a pressure freak. He pushed really high up the ground and now had a complimentary role to the team.

I always held hopes for Mannagh but wasn't sure if he would get the chance to bring his VFL best form of 2023 to the AFL, at least this year. Who knows what happened behind the scenes to get us to this place and whether changing anything would've been better/worse. We can't really complain right now.

All through the "Why aren't we picking Mannagh? period, I was trying to tell BF there were personal reasons why. It's really a fine line posters have to read through, but sometimes you just can't be more specific. It's a matter of trust.
They were always all over the communication- and he never would have left, as some predicted.

So with Shaun firing, it;s water under the bridge, but annoying to keep reading blame into the MC/ Club.

All through the "Why aren't we picking Mannagh? period, I was trying to tell BF there were personal reasons why. It's really a fine line posters have to read through, but sometimes you just can't be more specific. It's a matter of trust.
They were always all over the communication- and he never would have left, as some predicted.

So with Shaun firing, it;s water under the bridge, but annoying to keep reading blame into the MC/ Club.
I actually didn't see your posts about that. This is new information to me.

Agree on your last point. "I told you so"s can go into dangerous territory when there are so many nuances we are unaware of.

Never quite understood the criticism of Atkins.

No, not the most skilful but man, his want for the contest, his drive to just give it every damn thing he's got is the pulse of a successful club.

He's exactly the guy you want in the trench beside you.
The issue I had initially when he came into the team was we were using him at half forward after he was showing excellent form in the VFL as a mid, and when we saw him move to midfield we are now seeing the best of him.
I was saying the same about Bowes last year and am glad we see him spending more time in the midfield, and I am very happy that when we brought in Bruhn we put him straight into midfield and didn't **** about with him as a forward like GWS did.

Reunion of the 2019 "mistfits" and just like in 2019 defensively they are getting it done.

Thought that Stanley was both physically & mentally cooked after the Sydney game and that would be probably his last game in the hoops. Don't know what he or the club has changed, but we need to bottle it. Maybe he wants to end his career on a high and not limp out but whatever it is, it's working.

Also had major doubts on Neale. Had concerns over his ability to compete in one on one's, and his fondness for dropping simple marks. Last night he was clunking everything and over the last 4-6 weeks has competed to a level that is required at this level. Still early doors on his career, but looks like he could belong, and his spot in the team looks more secure by the week.

When you're wrong, take the egg to the face and tip your hat to them for proving you wrong. Kudos to those 2 players in particular.

Now you all see why i was calling out for mannagh all year. His inclusion has changed our front half pressure significantly and that and hawkins out for neale is helping us cover the weakness in our midfield.
Yes, Mannagh is your Pods replacement- both revelations in their respective teams

Thought that Stanley was both physically & mentally cooked after the Sydney game and that would be probably his last game in the hoops. Don't know what he or the club has changed, but we need to bottle it. Maybe he wants to end his career on a high and not limp out but whatever it is, it's working.

Also had major doubts on Neale. Had concerns over his ability to compete in one on one's, and his fondness for dropping simple marks. Last night he was clunking everything and over the last 4-6 weeks has competed to a level that is required at this level. Still early doors on his career, but looks like he could belong, and his spot in the team looks more secure by the week.

When you're wrong, take the egg to the face and tip your hat to them for proving you wrong. Kudos to those 2 players in particular.
Oh I'm with you on Stanley. I thought he was as cooked as Hawkins. Besides Marshall dominating him (he kills us no matter who we play on him), Rhys has acquitted himself well.

Last night Sweet smashed him in raw hit outs but I didn't feel like many hurt us at all. Then Stanley had 5 clearances to Sweet's 1, beat him for disposals and even besides stats, simply scrapped harder for us. People will say "it's only Sweet" but the point is Stanley's given us a surprisingly solid presence around the ball during his recent run of games. Which is a lot beyond "he isn't even good enough for the VFL" which is where he appeared to be mid-year.

I had 6th at best - Wrong
10th at worst - Wrong
Once we made Finals - I had 2 losses or at best 1 win 2 losses - Wrong so far.

Didnt think Mannagh would be this good... but he's blown that out.
REckon there will be a few Tanner Bruhn ooops posts in there too... but thats for others to decide to do.

GO Catters

I had 6th at best - Wrong
10th at worst - Wrong
Once we made Finals - I had 2 losses or at best 1 win 2 losses - Wrong so far.

Didnt think Mannagh would be this good... but he's blown that out.
REckon there will be a few Tanner Bruhn ooops posts in there too... but thats for others to decide to do.

GO Catters
Low game time, 18 disposals. You aren't gonna see Horsey in here to give any credit to Bruhn when this happens.

We get obsessed by raw disposal counts to our detriment at times. Yes a midfielder has to win a certain amount of footy but this is complicated with time on ground and the heavy rotations Scott deploys. Dangerfield and Holmes combined for 52 disposals. In some other sides that would have been close to 70. It doesn't diminish how dominant they were.

Bruhn wasn't dominant but he had a good game for a youngster playing his first AFL midfield final. Everything passed the eye test as far as endeavour and competitiveness. These were AA quality midfielders on their home deck he was up against. Tanner fought hard, used the ball well (89% disposal efficiency), had a goal and a goal assist to go with 7 score involvements from 18 disposals. Only two players who were not involved with the sub or injured spent less time on the field. I felt like he stood up when he was there, for decent portions of the game. In what, his 40th game of AFL midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

Back