Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

All through the "Why aren't we picking Mannagh? period, I was trying to tell BF there were personal reasons why. It's really a fine line posters have to read through, but sometimes you just can't be more specific. It's a matter of trust.
They were always all over the communication- and he never would have left, as some predicted.

So with Shaun firing, it;s water under the bridge, but annoying to keep reading blame into the MC/ Club.
Mannagh him self in an interview said he knew why he was sent back to the VFL and what he had to work on and he was 100% committed to doing just that

Mannagh him self in an interview said he knew why he was sent back to the VFL and what he had to work on and he was 100% committed to doing just that
I watched the club's interview with Shaun after his breakout game in the VFL that led to his reinstatement to the senior team. He was all class throughout the entire chat, didn't seem embittered at all, and was talking about how pumped he was seeing Laws take his opportunity in the ones when it was presented to him. He said that gave him real hope that bringing his best with the Bankers would see him ready to make the leap when the opportunity to be elevated came along.

So I suppose it's possible that he just put on a brilliant acting performance while inwardly seething about how he perceived the club had treated him. As it is, I believe it just showed a real competitor knuckling down and working on his game in order to completely fulfil his AFL dream.

Couldn't be happier for him, now that he's truly entrenched himself in the side. But I believe that the chat about how poorly he was treated through his Bankers stint is entirely overblown. The difference between what he offered in the first couple of weeks of the season in the senior side and what he produced when he returned to the ones just seemed like chalk and cheese to me. That alone looked like a reasonable basis for how the club prepared him to finally come in and have a real impact in the AFL.

Well here we are
1. - bona fide top 4 2024, - I thought 6-8 at best. I was WRONG.
2. - Our much maligned MF Atkins, Bruhn, Bowes, Danger, Holmes, Dempsey was BRILLIANT. I was WRONG
I thought we would get absolutely murdered by port.
I was wrong.

I didn’t think we would win a final this year.
I was wrong.

I actually couldn’t have gotten it more wrong if I tried.

I thought we would get absolutely murdered by port.
I was wrong.

I didn’t think we would win a final this year.
I was wrong.

I actually couldn’t have gotten it more wrong if I tried.
Can't feel much better to actually be wrong!!

Low game time, 18 disposals. You aren't gonna see Horsey in here to give any credit to Bruhn when this happens.

We get obsessed by raw disposal counts to our detriment at times. Yes a midfielder has to win a certain amount of footy but this is complicated with time on ground and the heavy rotations Scott deploys. Dangerfield and Holmes combined for 52 disposals. In some other sides that would have been close to 70. It doesn't diminish how dominant they were.

Bruhn wasn't dominant but he had a good game for a youngster playing his first AFL midfield final. Everything passed the eye test as far as endeavour and competitiveness. These were AA quality midfielders on their home deck he was up against. Tanner fought hard, used the ball well (89% disposal efficiency), had a goal and a goal assist to go with 7 score involvements from 18 disposals. Only two players who were not involved with the sub or injured spent less time on the field. I felt like he stood up when he was there, for decent portions of the game. In what, his 40th game of AFL midfield.
I think an important metric thats overlooked, although was brought up in the pregame, is not just disposals but metres gained especially when we are playing so direct.

Holmes had 28 disposals but 668mg. Means he was getting the ball, and through a combination of running the ball out of defence/down the wing and also some long kicks, that not only did get get plenty of the ball but he was either contributing to the rebound 50s or was contributing to inside 50s.
Same goes for Mannagh, 528mg and 7 inside 50s.
It comes down to either run and carry, which Mannagh/Holmes were doing plenty of, or Humphries and Bowes who also had high metres gained and that was from less run and carry but more med/long kicks.

As for Bruhn, in 2 years he will be a top tier mid in the comp. He has all the qualities you want, just needs to keep working on the tank and learn tackling from Atkins because he finds space so well and has great penetration in his kicking i50.

Yes, Mannagh is your Pods replacement- both revelations in their respective teams

The great man was the OG and the best purely because it was harder to get drafted then no one was taking players that old now they are. But theres a lot of parralels not least weribbee because mannagh has been equally dominant in the vfl and has had to bash the door down and has looked equally at home from his first game. Just is pure afl standard.

I watched the club's interview with Shaun after his breakout game in the VFL that led to his reinstatement to the senior team. He was all class throughout the entire chat, didn't seem embittered at all, and was talking about how pumped he was seeing Laws take his opportunity in the ones when it was presented to him. He said that gave him real hope that bringing his best with the Bankers would see him ready to make the leap when the opportunity to be elevated came along.

So I suppose it's possible that he just put on a brilliant acting performance while inwardly seething about how he perceived the club had treated him. As it is, I believe it just showed a real competitor knuckling down and working on his game in order to completely fulfil his AFL dream.

Couldn't be happier for him, now that he's truly entrenched himself in the side. But I believe that the chat about how poorly he was treated through his Bankers stint is entirely overblown. The difference between what he offered in the first couple of weeks of the season in the senior side and what he produced when he returned to the ones just seemed like chalk and cheese to me. That alone looked like a reasonable basis for how the club prepared him to finally come in and have a real impact in the AFL.

Only those inside the 4 walls really know whether shaun was ok with or not.
But largely thats a side issue that misses the broader point which is that our pressure game and ball use in transition was clearly lacking earlier in the year and he was the obvious solution.
Now some of whats helped is hawk getting injured as he was moving like a statue but shauns inclusion has equally improved our pressure and link up play ten fold.

Now luckily because the comp is weak and we are peaking at the right time we might win the flag anyway. But we wouldnt have lost all the games we did in the middle of the year if we had made the change earlier.

Only those inside the 4 walls really know whether shaun was ok with or not.
But largely thats a side issue that misses the broader point which is that our pressure game and ball use in transition was clearly lacking earlier in the year and he was the obvious solution.
Now some of whats helped is hawk getting injured as he was moving like a statue but shauns inclusion has equally improved our pressure and link up play ten fold.

Now luckily because the comp is weak and we are peaking at the right time we might win the flag anyway. But we wouldnt have lost all the games we did in the middle of the year if we had made the change earlier.
I fully agree with all your posts on mannagh. But this is not the thread for it. This is the thread where you post about bews farewell game. :)

I fully agree with all your posts on mannagh. But this is not the thread for it. This is the thread where you post about bews farewell game. :)

Ill give you a deal if bews plays in the GF ill definitely post i was wrong (i think he will get dropped for the prelim though).

Ill give you a deal if bews plays in the GF ill definitely post i was wrong (i think he will get dropped for the prelim though).
I think Bews stays in if theres a direct match up for him.
I.E I think he plays the PF because he matches well on Papley if the Swans lose, Cameron if the Lions win, or Daniels if GWS lose.

GF depends on who it is as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

Back