The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I said this before, and I'll say it again, Its a media exercise to see how something like this that happens every day (someone went missing) becomes the head story and also an example of "Missing White Woman Syndrome"...

It is sad for those affected directly, and for those looking to 'feel something in the moment', but its most likely to be forgotten, by the majority by the end of the month
It does have a sense of MWWS about the case, but it does also resonate with many people because Jill undertook an activity thousands do on a weekend - drinks at a bar then a short walk home. There is an ability to personally connect with Jill because she meets the "like us" criteria.

Unlike Anna Chmeil who disappeared and died during the same timeframe (Kew woman). There would be the fact that she was disabled and less atractive which contributed to the lack of media interest, however she simply "disappeared" and was found deceased due to a medical condition.

I do too. I was surprised when I saw "86". I was expecting him to be around 15 or 16 with this kind of sense of humour and his love of "LULZ EPIC MEMES FTW"

26 is the new 16.

Unlike Anna Chmeil who disappeared and died during the same timeframe (Kew woman). There would be the fact that she was disabled and less atractive which contributed to the lack of media interest, however she simply "disappeared" and was found deceased due to a medical condition.
I've listened to 774ABC all week, a station which it/the presenters consider themselves above superficiality. Yet, the first time I came across the name "Anna Chmeil" was when I was wondering through The Limbo Club, of all places, this morning.

I've listened to 774ABC all week, at station which it/the presenters consider themselves above superficiality. Yet, the first time I came across the name "Anna Chmeil" was when I was wondering through The Limbo Club, of all places, this morning.

The ABC is hardly neutral in this case.

In this case then yes.
Though I wouldn't bring back the death penalty for one bloke.
Life imprisonment is fine. It was sufficient for Ivan Milat.

Ivan Milat, Martin Bryant, Julian Knight hardly just one bloke.

I've listened to 774ABC all week, a station which it/the presenters consider themselves above superficiality. Yet, the first time I came across the name "Anna Chmeil" was when I was wondering through The Limbo Club, of all places, this morning.
I will 100% guarantee that if this person was captured on CCTV engaged in what seemed like a very chilling encounter then she would have received every bit the same amount of publicity that Jill did.

This WWS is crap to be honest. There are hundreds of cases that get ample publicity that don't follow that pattern. My suspicion is that those who rail against WWS are those that only look at stories involving WW and therefore are oblivious to everything else.

If you can get video of any criminal or supicious encounter the media will run with it every day of the week no matter if you are young, old, white, black, male, female, Arab or Jew.

Video footage rules news items.

Does anyone here think this thread has run its course and its time to call it quits?

Shes dead, they got him. Theres not much more to add to this, it can only deteriorate now with trolling and vitriol

I think if people still want to talk about it in this thread they should be able to. Ignore the trolls; they are obvious. If you're done with it, leave.

Does anyone here think this thread has run its course and its time to call it quits?

Shes dead, they got him. Theres not much more to add to this, it can only deteriorate now with trolling and vitriol
Yep - its appearing that way.

It does have a sense of MWWS about the case, but it does also resonate with many people because Jill undertook an activity thousands do on a weekend - drinks at a bar then a short walk home. There is an ability to personally connect with Jill because she meets the "like us" criteria.

Just to take this one step further:

The reactions in this thread on this particular forum are probably best summed up in what I expect would be the age and demographic that largely post on this site.

ie; 16-30, male, most likely from a white family background. (I say this in with no disrespect toward those of a different persuasion that frequent here)

It's hits closer to home when you can identify directly with the situation.

Also a lot of the events were unfolding in real time for the people contributing to the thread and having actual footage of the events that unfolded really hammered home the reality. Unsurprisingly this touched a nerve with a lot of people here.

People cared about it before the video footage though.

It was mostly the family using every avenue possible to try and find her and her being an employee of the ABC that made this so big. Being a young, attractive, white woman helped, but that's just the nature of things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to take this one step further:

The reactions in this thread on this particular forum are probably best summed up in what I expect would be the age and demographic that largely post on this site.

ie; 16-30, male, most likely from a white family background. (I say this in with no disrespect toward those of a different persuasion that frequent here)

It's hits closer to home when you can identify directly with the situation.

Also a lot of the events were unfolding in real time for the people contributing to the thread and having actual footage of the events that unfolded really hammered home the reality. Unsurprisingly this touched a nerve with a lot of people here.
I remember when Karmein Chan disappeared.
Anyone who believes in this MWWS nonsense was obviously not around for that.

That was front page news for weeks.

I remember when Karmein Chan disappeared.
Anyone who believes in this MWWS nonsense was obviously not around for that.

That was front page news for weeks.
Yeah so was I and you are spot on in that assessment.

I don't want people to assume that my post was a pigeon hole assessment of the situation, but more of an explaination of SOME peoples POSSIBLE reactions in relation to posts made in THIS THREAD.

Some events just hit home for a lot of people in a lot of different ways.

This case was another one.

Nah, I feel like there is a lot we don't know about this case.

Hopefully grizzlym can keep the trolls out, the last few days have shown that we can have a good discussion.

Tree hugger? I hate the environmental movement. Just asking why one life seems to be worth more than 100, if not for media influence. I know people don't like having it displayed to them that they're being played by our media in order to profit via exploitation of atrocity, but its clearly evident.

Probably a better comparison would be what if a Muslim girl from the same area went missing. One that wasn't photogenic. Didn't work at a media organisation. Hadn't been out doing something so many "normal" people can relate to - having a drink at a popular nightclub strip.

Because that's what does happen in honour killings. The girls just suddenly disappear and the family don't report them missing and nobody knows them and they have no real social networks outside their community.

I will 100% guarantee that if this person was captured on CCTV engaged in what seemed like a very chilling encounter then she would have received every bit the same amount of publicity that Jill did.
Yeah, fair enough. There's something nqr about becoming aware of Anna, as a result of trifling through the limbo club. Not sure who/what I should be annoyed at.

So from what I gather it's ok to make jokes about that Kony fella and his actions.

But it's morally wrong to make jokes about this Jill woman.

Ok.

In a few weeks time you'll all have forgotten and moved onto the next big hit in the media.

:rolleyes:

It's not morally wrong, make whatever jokes you want (not in here).

However, you really do come off as a try-hard trying to be edgy.

I'm not surprised in the slightest; that forum is of impeccable quality and intellect.

(Sadly, neither of which seem to be helping Tex get laid).

Most of the people getting killed in the likes of Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria would kill you as soon as look at you, this girl was doing nothing other than going about her business. Also, I know the area pretty well.

Absolute and utter crap.

I'm fairly suprised by my own reaction to this. I never get involved, or even care about, discussions about events in the media, but I was captivated by this. Although I didn't watch the news, just followed this thread, Youtube and Twitter.

I put it down to my interest down to:
  • chilling CCTV footage (to be honest I had no interest until I saw this)
  • the dense timeline of events from leaving the pub to the first failed phone call by the husband
  • Google Maps & that uni prof's street tour video
  • being able to combine these to construct my own theories
  • having a forum to air such theories
Also, I think it is very, very possible that the police are looking for (or suspect) other perps but are manipulating the media to make this more efficient. Two cars, no screams, the handbag, doesn't totally add up.

It seems that people have taken to the phone books & are harrassing an innocent:

15gxtly.png
For many many years I have questioned the need or relevance of a residential White Pages. It simply should not exist. It's ridiculous to think you should have to pay for a silent number/address. But long ago I cancelled my home phone and never intend to have one again.

Fortunately the push for Australia's judicial system to resemble Norway ended when Breivik got 3 months per kill in a very cozy facility.
Maximum sentence in Norway is 21 years. But when his time is up, he can (and will) be given extra time. I doubt he'll see daylight any time soon, if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back