The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an Irishman who has lived in dublin many men and women walk home all the time over there without a second thought after a night out, me being one of them.

Yeah, said as much earlier in the thread. Always amazed me in Ireland how people, especially women, would walk home alone. Higher population density maybe.

You will notice that the thread on this subject has been pruned substantially.

From this point onwards, please consider avoiding any posts that include:
  • Commentary on the guilt or the innocence of the accused
  • Details of prior criminal convictions or charges
  • The publication of photos of the accused.
Such content may leave individual posters open to the possibility of fines and gaol time for sub judice contempt.

So, apparently you do give a damn?:)

The cops are red hot on social media sub judice stuff and more importantly, the husband has asked people tone it down.

I strongly suspect this case will be the kicking off point of some major debate and reform about how we manage sub judice in the "age of social media".

The cops are red hot on social media sub judice stuff and more importantly, the husband has asked people tone it down.

I strongly suspect this case will be the kicking off point of some major debate and reform about how we manage sub judice in the "age of social media".

I agree that it will sometime later be a point of reference when the law and legal processes are reviewed in the context of this changing information age. It is not only an administrator of a web page but more so the individual poster who must be mindful of not breaching libel and/or sub judice statement publication law. All posters, particularly Facebook posters, should be mindful that they are publishers these days.

Won't be the same after this.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, you can't put it back in; as soon as his name was released, that was it.

I've been keeping up with this thread on my phone. Engaging, but pretty awful. I feel so sorry for anyone who's life was ended so unjustly, let alone in so horrifically.

Back on topic. **** media law debate.

The Grand Final is on tomorrow, they've caught the scumsack who did this. We'll all probably be slightly surprised and ashamed when we see in the paper in January that the next phase of the legal process has begun because we will have inevitably moved on.

But yeah, that unlucky unlucky girl.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat.
Go raibh cóir na gaoithe i gcónaí leat.
Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar do chlár éadain,
go dtite an bháisteach go bog mín ar do ghoirt.
Agus go gcasfar le chéile sinn arís

Not sure whether it's something that's worth anything but Tom has handled himself in front of the media pretty well

It's probably no real indication of what he's going through, but just felt like mentioning it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure whether it's something that's worth anything but Tom has handled himself in front of the media pretty well

It's probably no real indication of what he's going through, but just felt like mentioning it

Yeah, and even though the fact remains that most women of her age who are killed are murdered by their partner - or ex - I now feel tremendously crap for having accused Tom Meagher.

His bravery, how dignified he was at a time of unimaginable horror, leaves me feeling just a little bit small.

Do generally people think that women or anyone for that matter out at night should have one of those personal alarms that screech like mad? Would draw attention like nothing else.

Guys thread will open again shortly.

We've had clarification from legal.
Caesar, simply because of this case I stumbled up this forum: www.websleuths.com/forums/

They focus only on these ttopics and have a number of protocols in place to deal with the legal issues that arise in an ongoing investigation or trial.

It may be worth a look if as suggested a "Crime" sub board is on the cards.

I now feel tremendously crap for having accused Tom Meagher.

^^ THIS

1st i heard of this case was a snippet of his first appeal on the radio...i thought GUILTY.
Got home and saw a clip of it on youtube with the sound off and thought " well he doesn't LOOK guilty......"

Yeah, said as much earlier in the thread. Always amazed me in Ireland how people, especially women, would walk home alone. Higher population density maybe.

It's not like there aren't crimes in Ireland either. I did a Paddywagon tour there around 10 years ago and when we were down near Killarney our tour guide was telling us about a young woman that was r*ped and murdered recently walking home from a nightclub there and warned us to make sure that we travelled in groups at night rather than walking alone.

Then later on in Galway a mate of mine who was a pretty big bloke got mugged by a gang of local thugs at knifepoint walking back to our hostel on his own, he left the bar we were at early because he wasn't feeling well. Lost his wallet, watch and a ring he got of his granddad for his 21st, he was still in shock when we saw him back at the hostel and was pretty shaken up for the rest of our tour.

People always think of the Irish as being all friendly and happy go lucky but like any country there are some nasty types getting about.

Amazing how well he has handled it although he is probably still in shock at what has happened. It would take a while to process what has gone on and for it all to sink in.

It's not like there aren't crimes in Ireland either. I did a Paddywagon tour there around 10 years ago and when we were down near Killarney our tour guide was telling us about a young woman that was r*ped and murdered recently walking home from a nightclub there and warned us to make sure that we travelled in groups at night rather than walking alone.

Then later on in Galway a mate of mine who was a pretty big bloke got mugged by a gang of local thugs at knifepoint walking back to our hostel on his own, he left the bar we were at early because he wasn't feeling well. Lost his wallet, watch and a ring he got of his granddad for his 21st, he was still in shock when we saw him back at the hostel and was pretty shaken up for the rest of our tour.

People always think of the Irish as being all friendly and happy go lucky but like any country there are some nasty types getting about.

Of course.

I wasn't suggesting Oireland is a land of smiling leprechauns etc.

In was just saying that people, including young women, will walk home alone where people in Aust might not. As I said earlier, I think that has to do with higher population density - there's always people around, always cars going past etc.

For the record, the safest part of Ireland I've ever been as regards walking down the street half cut at night was the Falls Road in West Belfast.

^^ THIS

1st i heard of this case was a snippet of his first appeal on the radio...i thought GUILTY.
Got home and saw a clip of it on youtube with the sound off and thought " well he doesn't LOOK guilty......"
I may sound like dick for saying it but the case to me seemed weird early on. Also having read or known details of a number of high profile miscarriage of justice cases in WA, I tend to be very wary of the desire of police (well WAPOL) and the media to pigeon hole suspects and sometimes create a narrative for homicide investigations.

Outside of that I usually avoid a lot of crime reporting in the media, or true crime shows on TV. Partly because it is a little disturbing, but also I don't want to feel like I am gaining entertainment from others misery (a bit irrational or unreasonable I know).

But this case has really struck close to home. It isn't a past event, it has happened in a spot that is well known and frequented by many on this board, it harks back to fears we have had for family, friends or partners when out alone at night, but more disturbingly it happened to a young, capable and savvy female on a well lit street close to her home.

By all rights she should be comfortable walking the 500m to her house, a journey she had taken many times before. The time frame, the vision, the brazenness of the attack and the troubling promise of something unusual have only further grabbed publics attention, generating fear, empathy and concern.

There are definitely a few questions or things that still bother me. What about the other person/car mentioned by a witness on Sydney rd? What was blue hoody doing further up the street? What about the missing moments on the CCTV, glitch or did it show the attackers face or a call being made (so edited by police despite denials)? What about the other CCTV footage, not released purely for reasons pertaining to the case or does it show something that may require further investigation? What about the neighbours report of more than one vehicle arriving after 2am?

Caesar, simply because of this case I stumbled up this forum: www.websleuths.com/forums/

They focus only on these ttopics and have a number of protocols in place to deal with the legal issues that arise in an ongoing investigation or trial.

It may be worth a look if as suggested a "Crime" sub board is on the cards.

Will definitely bear it in mind 'cause we are setting the forum up now.

Of course.

I wasn't suggesting Oireland is a land of smiling leprechauns etc.

In was just saying that people, including young women, will walk home alone where people in Aust might not. As I said earlier, I think that has to do with higher population density - there's always people around, always cars going past etc.

For the record, the safest part of Ireland I've ever been as regards walking down the street half cut at night was the Falls Road in West Belfast.

We went to Belfast too and despite all the horror stories we heard it was surprisingly tame. There weren't many people on the streets at night as apparently most people there just get cabs everywhere at night rather than walking.

We still walked around there a fair bit and didn't have any problems. Only worrying thing was a wreath of flowers placed outside a Maccas that we went to, we asked the guy behind the counter what it was all about and he told us some bloke got gunned down there a couple of nights ago which was a tad disturbing. He didn't seem too concerned though like it was just par for the course there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back