The major parties versus social media

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Let’s get one thing straight… politicians (particularly the major parties) despise social media.

Part of their traditional business model is having quasi-control over the corporate media through cost relationships and deals, which allows them to impact what gets reported and how.

The LNP are the most shameless with their media department (NewsCorp), but Labour engage in it too.

Being one of the first (democratic) countries on earth to attempt that horrific news bargaining code just shows how obsessed Australian politicians are with the issue. Never mind the threats by social media to leave Australia - that’s exactly what they want!

I see Albo is now engaging in this type of shit under the oh-so-honourable cover of “anti-bullying”. Politicians LOVE pulling out this anti-bullying message as a stick to belt social media with.i get it’s real and greater measures are required - greater parental supervision and visibility, mostly - but I just cannot trust any major party politician on any social media issue. Their aim is to weaken and kill democratised information sharing.

Interesting that one major politician did the opposite… Dan Andrews. He did a lot through social media in a strategy of talking directly to people and cutting out the traditional media. They hated him for it, but it worked. There were plenty of attacks about how he has a massive staff managing social media.

As opposed to what? Maintaining corrupt pal-ly relationships with media giants behind closed doors?

Why don’t more politicians go with the Andrews strategy, given its success? Do they not have the stomach for three years of relentless hate and attacks, only to be vindicated at the ballot box? Sounds cowardly but can’t say I don’t understand that, it would be horrible. We’ve never seen a sustained media attack in this country like the one Andrews endured. It was grotesque.

You make some really good points, especially about the need for these fogies to actually embrace social media, and the consequences (ballot box vs MSM treatment) of doing so.

Then there is that other side though - MSM, while often biased, is subject to norms of factual reporting.

Social media on the other hand isn't really. And it has enabled the growth of the far right, sov cits, and cooker mentality more generally.

India's recent elections were plagued with deep fakes on social media.
MSM's deception of the public has been more of a slow game.

Here they go… they’ll ban it outright if they can

Losing control of the media is an existential threat to the major parties

While I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion about politicians wanting control over the media, I certainly don't think this move is part of a sinister ploy to take down social media. The negative impacts that unrestrained access to social media is having on young people is well documented.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion about politicians wanting control over the media, I certainly don't think this move is part of a sinister ploy to take down social media. The negative impacts that unrestrained access to social media is having on young people is well documented.

When Dutton is behind it too you know it’s not about the mental health impacts of social media on kids.

The idea sounds fine in theory, until you realise every single person in Australia will need to provide some form of digital identity verification to prove they’re over age, not just kids.

And there we have it, digital ID. Metadata collection on steroids. No wonder Dutton is a fan.

Social media looks like being scapegoat for the riots in England. Those riots weren't taking place in Tunbridge Wells or High Wycombe, they happened in towns that have been ignored by both the Tories and Labour for generations leaving then ripe for the picking by the far right. But the Daily Mail will bang on about the dreaded social meejia.

Populist move to capatalise on faux outrage by the SA government.

You can be responsibe enough to to jail at ten but you can't have a Facebook account until you're in you're teens. Ffs.

It's such a bad idea. Why do these cretins always want to keep people ignorant and uninformed?

Yeah, don't let them use social media until they turn a certain age, and then bam they will be scammed, doxxed everything. But they will have a much harder time getting together and making movements against outdated conservative tickle down economics. And it will be much easier to just feed them skynews et al without pesky fact checking.

And the same goes for the people who don't want sex ed taught in school. Massive red flag there...
Why don't you want kids to have some knowledge about how to avoid being groomed or worse?
Easier to manipulate and control someone if they're uneducated.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Populist move to capatalise on faux outrage by the SA government.

Pointless legislation that would never result in a prosecution so it is just an expensive gesture.

Education is the key here starting early about the risks of social media.and how to respond/avoid the threats on line eg. scammers, bullies, extortion, theft, fake news, foreign government influence and data collection etc

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pointless legislation that would never result in a prosecution so it is just an expensive gesture.

Education is the key here starting early about the risks of social media.and how to respond/avoid the threats on line eg. scammers, bullies, extortion, theft, fake news, foreign government influence and data collection etc

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah agreed.

I did read an interesting phrase - it's not about giving kids access to social media, its about giving social media companies access to our kids. This was mentioned more in the context of the addiction side of things.

Many social media CEOs don't let their kids have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The major parties versus social media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back