Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Tabs has been way better than I thought he'd be.
Still reckon we're better off without him when Darcy comes back and Jacko roams forward.
As harsh as it sounds, we've got to treat him like depth if we want Treacy and Amiss to come on.
I think there's no harm in that move and is probably for the best for Tabs back issues. If he cameos as needed throughout the season, and "rests" at Peel in between, that's value at least and gives him a role.

Underrated, tough, commuted fit professional person.
Watched this guy play for Peel in 2016. Just ran all day, and 10 marks and 20 possessions along with 3+ goals a week.

Pity just didn’t get lucky with injuries. Back, leg, hip. Just over trained to the point of breaking down.

Got the maximum out of his Rookie List career. An honest trier. One of my all time favourites.

Farewell, Tabs.

Thanks for everything you have done for our Club Tabs. We have been extremely impressed by your football skills, professionalism and strong team ethic.

In spite of numerous setbacks from injuries you persevered many times over to get back on the park. That is a testament to your character.

All the best for your future endeavours.

Was always a fan of his -- still am actually.

He didn't always get fair treatment IMO, but that's all water under the bridge now... Ultimately he gave his all to the club and remained faithful to it his entire career-- can't ask for more than that from any professional player. A farewell game for him would have been nice, but such is life.

Good luck in whatever's next Tabs -- you earned your respect the hard way mate, but you'll always be a favorite. All the best 😎👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo Foreverfreo GIF by Fremantle Dockers

Loved tabs , made the boring years very fun. His best years were ****ed by injury , was very good 2019/22 when on the park

His game for peel on the weekend sums him up perfectly.
Nailed a hard set shot ,then takes a great grab right after but missed the easy set shot.
Opposition player then came to rough him up, tabs decked him and gave away 50 metres and disclocated his thumb in the process .
After the docs trying to shove it in for 20 minutes he then came back on and basically won them the game in the 4th quarter. Lmao

Was his time to go but really pissed me off the lack of love and respect he got from many freo fans , that flagmantle Facebook page in particular was and is disgusting towards him.

will miss the duck

Loved the Dons and North (plus the mob up the road). And despite the shit he copped went at around 68% accuracy. Always had a soft spot the big guy.

I reckon if he was a few years younger and less injury prone he’d be tearing it up with Jye and Josh in the forward line.

My favourite highlight of Tabs career:

View attachment 2108103

17 seconds in another classic from Tabs

This was the day he arrived, we foolishly dropped him back to Peel which he tore up for the rest of 2017, before finally coming back into the AFL side for the very end of the season, from then on he played AFL and only missed out from injury until 2022.

If only he had stayed injury free from 2018-2022 :(

Last edited:

17 seconds in another classic from Tabs

This was the day he arrived, we foolishly dropped him back to Peel which he tore up for the rest of 2017, before finally coming back into the AFL side for the very end of the season, from then on he played AFL and only missed out from injury until 2022.

If only he had stayed injury free from 2018-2022 :(

Kept Kersten. God that guy was useless. If only Tabs took his spot.

Shame he just couldn’t get going injury wise. Would always have a ripper pre season then by round 5-9 some random freak fracture

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back