Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Never was a big Taberner fan. Didn't loathe him like some, but he just wasn't a player I ever really liked or enjoyed watching. Not inspirational but not someone I wanted delisted either. As a guy who got the most out of his talent and body, I must congratulate him on a long career and wish him the best. You can't say he didn't give it his all. Cheers for what you gave, Tabs. If you wanted to have a couple sons/daughters to give us in a future draft, I'd be ok with that...😝

Never was a big Taberner fan. Didn't loathe him like some, but he just wasn't a player I ever really liked or enjoyed watching. Not inspirational but not someone I wanted delisted either. As a guy who got the most out of his talent and body, I must congratulate him on a long career and wish him the best. You can't say he didn't give it his all. Cheers for what you gave, Tabs. If you wanted to have a couple sons/daughters to give us in a future draft, I'd be ok with that...😝
Agree, he certainly got everything out of himself that he could, but as with many of that ilk, frustrating to watch. Was really held back by his football IQ. As an athlete, clearly AFL level. Skills wise, very good. Decision making - deplorable. Anyhow, thank you Tabs for your services during the tough times.

As someone who only moved to Australia in the early 2010s and so didn't witness the early years of Freo in the AFL. Every time I hear an oppo fan talk about Clive Waterhouse it seems to me like they're describing Tabs (prone to brilliance and confounding badness). Yet Clive is almost revered as a god amongst Freo fans almost because he is so Dockery.

Genuine question - given Tabs is certainly the most Dockery player of the last decade - why doesn't he get the same love that Clive does?

Also - is this a reasonable comparison of have I committed a form of heresy with this comparison??

Genuine question - given Tabs is certainly the most Dockery player of the last decade - why doesn't he get the same love that Clive does?

He's without doubt the most underrated Freo player of all time. Maybe even for any team. A lot of it I just put down to Freo fans constantly comparing any forward to Pavlich, something that Tabs could never live up to. But after a slow burn he ended being a genuinely good key forward with the ability to kick bags of goals. Injuries sadly ruined him just when started to hit his straps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who only moved to Australia in the early 2010s and so didn't witness the early years of Freo in the AFL. Every time I hear an oppo fan talk about Clive Waterhouse it seems to me like they're describing Tabs (prone to brilliance and confounding badness). Yet Clive is almost revered as a god amongst Freo fans almost because he is so Dockery.

Also - is this a reasonable comparison of have I committed a form of heresy with this comparison??
The pure blonde mullet when he was drafted, that he was called ‘Clive’, the flying for the impossible mark, the pulling ridiculous goals from nowhere, and the fact that when we started there were few players who were instantly recognisable as having an intangible ‘Freo-ness’ means that Clive will go down as a Freo icon. His best was blindingly good, his bad was entertaining. Tabs was a nice looking, but rather bland player who had to work his arse off to be good. Clive just ‘was’. Taking nothing away from a solid career, but Tabs is no Clive.

It was utter insanity that Kersten played nearly every game that year while Taberner kicked 300 goals in the WAFL.
Ross Lyon. Just didn’t like him.

Although Kersten did have complaints and probably included playing clause in the trade when he came across. Guy is the most arrogant person I’ve come across in the public. Just full of himself. Him and Hamling are best mates

Guaranteed Tabs would’ve got 150 games if he got the same opportunities as Kersten.

Taberner was genuinely my favourite player for the longest time, you could tell the makings of something special were in there, whether it was down to Lyon's refusal to play him or injury it just didn't eventuate, if we had stuck fat with him instead of letting him dominate the WAFL who knows? He may have progressed at a faster rate. You could see in 2016 and 2017 he had the potential to break games open, but hey, at least he got a couple of premierships with Peel Thunder, it sucks seeing him be a shell of himself over the past couple of years, and while he's copped much criticism from me over the last 2 years I'll still always have love for the man.

Sure he crabbed it up sometimes, but he was OUR Crab. He was equally loveable as he was frustrating. Hope he either gets a gig at another AFL club or a WAFL club picks him up, I reckon he still has something to give if he can sort his back out (would love him at Swan Districts)

Moved like Jack Hannath most of the year but actually played more footy (for peel) than he has since probably 2020

A team like richmond could do worse picking him for a year or two as a experienced goal kicker but I doubt tabs can be bothered
Has had a pretty rough few years

Interested to see how he goes for the rest of the wafl finals

Last edited:
The pure blonde mullet when he was drafted, that he was called ‘Clive’, the flying for the impossible mark, the pulling ridiculous goals from nowhere, and the fact that when we started there were few players who were instantly recognisable as having an intangible ‘Freo-ness’ means that Clive will go down as a Freo icon. His best was blindingly good, his bad was entertaining. Tabs was a nice looking, but rather bland player who had to work his arse off to be good. Clive just ‘was’. Taking nothing away from a solid career, but Tabs is no Clive.
Clive could have been like Steve Johnson with proper coaching IMO

1726147239809.png

Moved like Jack Hannath most of the year but actually played more footy (for peel) than he has since probably 2020

A team like richmond could do worse picking him for a year or two as a experienced goal kicker but I doubt tabs can be bothered
Has had a pretty rough few years

Interested to see how he goes for the rest of the wafl finals
Think this is his first full season in years in terms of Peel/Fremantle.
Reduced forward role I guess.

Really would like for him to pass on tips to Amiss in terms of goal kicking. Tabs kicked some rippers on the right foot snap and worked nicely. He was actually reliable goal kicker.

Does anyone else have an irrational hatred towards that flagmantle Facebook campaigner?

Today he's posting negative memes about Tabs from his cheeto covered fingers in his mum's basement. Just everything that guy does screams insecure virgin who cries when pickles are on his big mac.

Tabs wasn't perfect, but he gave us EVERYTHING. Can't believe some fans want to disrespect the bloke. Plus, the fact so many players called him a "weird unit" made him so much more lovable.

/rant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back