The MCG should always host the Grand Final post pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have I? They can tear up contracts. State governments could pitch in and pay it out. But I do think that's extremely unlikely. If I had the wealth, I'd try and pay it out, but I don't, and unless we have a few die-hard AFL billionaires willing to chip in, then yeah, enjoy your GF for the next 38 years, you Victorian campaigners.

I actually really like it in Perth this year. Brisbane was garbage but Adelaide, Perth, and Melbourne in a rotation until Brisbane and Sydney build the required stadiums is fine by me.

Kind of like the Champions League final on a rotation and if you’re lucky enough to get it in your home city, so be it. This would still be huge in Melbourne right now if we weren’t locked down.

Worth remembering that most people don’t attend the game anyway, and in normal times Melbourne and Bulldogs fans would be able to travel to Perth.
JJ Holland park next year ;)

I actually really like it in Perth this year. Brisbane was garbage but Adelaide, Perth, and Melbourne in a rotation until Brisbane and Sydney build the required stadiums is fine by me.

Kind of like the Champions League final on a rotation and if you're lucky enough to get it in your home city, so be it. This would still be huge in Melbourne right now if we weren't locked down.

Worth remembering that most people don't attend the game anyway, and in normal times Melbourne and Bulldogs fans would be able to travel to Perth.

Yeah, I'd rotate Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth 4x until 2033.

2034 you look at Brisbane or Sydney and have it wherever the NRL grand final won't be (because they'll start rotating those eventually). I'm not sure I'd want the AFL and NRL grand final in the same city.

Have I? They can tear up contracts. State governments could pitch in and pay it out. But I do think that's extremely unlikely. If I had the wealth, I'd try and pay it out, but I don't, and unless we have a few die-hard AFL billionaires willing to chip in, then yeah, enjoy your GF for the next 38 years, you Victorian campaigners.
Victorian campaigners? That’s almost a complement. Atleast in our lifetime we’ll get one grand final at a state of the art venue. That old relic in Melbourne will be a laughable joke by time the 2032 Olympics comes round. Ahh well have a great day I’m bout to jump on a train to what will be the greatest grand final venue for us ever. Hopefully the Dees can win for those diehard mcc members in lockdown watching tv today. It’ll be a drought breaker that you’ll all get to see live on tv. And then party it till the wee hours in the morning using your WhatsApp groups.

Go Dees

Whoever finishes highest should get the GF at thier home ground.

If it is to become a true national competition then all teams must be treated as equal.

MCG residents have a big advantage over all other teams as they play home in finals.

Lets be fair

Hutchy (I know, I know) came up with a good idea.
Redo the MCG contract, do it for 100 years, but every 4th year it goes to a different State.
So the MCG gets 75 Grand Finals and the other States get to host 25

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atmosphere in WA is flat as a tack.

MCG will forever be #1.
Utter bollocks. Not disagreeing that there isn't a history that the G has that cannot be replicated, and this may give it the "#1" status, but if you removed your head from your anus (could explain the atmosphere issue), you'd see that it's been pretty spectacular today.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lucky enough to have been to both MCG and Perth grand finals - the atmosphere at the ground is identical. Crowd just as loud - maybe louder with no MCC or AFL section. Was awesome night.

One complaint - no posters or merch available after the game - wasted opportunity there.

The Great Southern Stand will be demolished and rebuilt within 10 years. Rather than do it in stages/section and have three successive seasons and GFs with reduced capacity, they should do what they did in 1991 and have the GF elsewhere for one season and try to get it build in two years. 2031 would be good as the 2032 GF will be mid October due to the Olympics.
So, let Sydney and Adelaide tender for the 2031 GF. Either 84k at ANZ, 55k at an upgraded SCG or 58k at AO with temp stands behind the hill.

Lucky enough to have been to both MCG and Perth grand finals - the atmosphere at the ground is identical. Crowd just as loud - maybe louder with no MCC or AFL section. Was awesome night.

One complaint - no posters or merch available after the game - wasted opportunity there.
Yes.

I'm not sure crowd noise is totally reliant on crowd numbers.

I went to three VFL Grand Finals in the 70s - 74, 75 & 79. I can't recall, but I am pretty sure all games would have been 100k+.

But still to this day the most noise I have ever experienced at a football match was the 96 Prelim Final here in Sydney, when Lockett kicked the behind after the siren to get the Swans into the GF.

I'm not sure crowd noise is totally reliant on crowd numbers.

I went to three VFL Grand Finals in the 70s - 74, 75 & 79. I can't recall, but I am pretty sure all games would have been 100k+.

But still to this day the most noise I have ever experienced at a football match was the 96 Prelim Final here in Sydney, when Lockett kicked the behind after the siren to get the Swans into the GF.
Lockett kicking that point at the true G was marvellous. Pity we have to go back to that outdated cake tin in Melbourne. Ahh well atleast we got to see one GF at a modern stadium. What a let down for the next year

Lockett kicking that point at the true G was marvellous. Pity we have to go back to that outdated cake tin in Melbourne. Ahh well atleast we got to see one GF at a modern stadium. What a let down for the next year
Were you there that night? I've never experienced anything like it.

The Great Southern Stand will be demolished and rebuilt within 10 years. Rather than do it in stages/section and have three successive seasons and GFs with reduced capacity, they should do what they did in 1991 and have the GF elsewhere for one season and try to get it build in two years. 2031 would be good as the 2032 GF will be mid October due to the Olympics.
So, let Sydney and Adelaide tender for the 2031 GF. Either 84k at ANZ, 55k at an upgraded SCG or 58k at AO with temp stands behind the hill.
No it won’t that’s just your bs dream that will never eventuate. Your state is bankrupt and no matter how you spin it it’ll take decades to get that cesspool to turn a profit. Pfft upgrade…. What a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCG should always host the Grand Final post pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back