Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

Had an "Adelaide Crows" joined an expanded VFL around '85 when the push for a national comp really started gaining momentum - and been able to keep the likes of Bradley, Kernahan, Platten and Motley - then we could've expected an absolute powerhouse.

Even a team around '87 would've been pretty formidable.

But by 1990 it was a much different story...

On one level I can see the SNAFL holding off as long as possible, they were ever going to be a lackey to the VFL in the VFL competition. It probably wouldn't have worked back then, but they should have looked to merge with the WAFL, TFL and whatever the NSW and QLD bodies were to make an AFL. Promoting Port and Norwood from SA, two WA clubs, one from NSW, QLD and TAS and inviting three vic clubs to have a ten club national league. SNAFL would have had partial control of a top league instead of full control of a second rate one.

On one level I can see the SNAFL holding off as long as possible, they were ever going to be a lackey to the VFL in the VFL competition.

Broadly speaking, this prevailing attitude - which I hazard to guess 99.99999% of South Australians, including Port supporters, shared at the time - was a huge stumbling block, especially when you tie into that the $4m license fee

You want US to PAY YOU to PLAY IN YOUR competition? BWAHAHA!!!

That Port v Geelong trial match was such an eye-opener. When we got to Footy Park, the line-up was huge! SANFL simply didn't expect such a big turnout. Actually, nobody did. Stunning. IIRC, there was only one gate open at the Northern End. Next thing Red Coats are running around opening up more gates.

Place was buzzing during the game. Especially when we got a run-on. There were a couple of loudmouth Geelong fans where we sat. And it was classic SA v Victoria stuff. Half the people around us barracked for rival SANFL clubs. Almost State-of-Origin-esque.

Then a few months later...

Broadly speaking, this prevailing attitude - which I hazard to guess 99.99999% of South Australians, including Port supporters, shared at the time - was a huge stumbling block, especially when you tie into that the $4m license fee

You want US to PAY YOU to PLAY IN YOUR competition? BWAHAHA!!!
Well us, Norwood (and probably others) clubs could see the benefit, but not the tin-pot dictators. As they continue to get less and less relevant I enjoy them suffering for staying small minded and not being willing to share.

On one level I can see the SNAFL holding off as long as possible, they were ever going to be a lackey to the VFL in the VFL competition. It probably wouldn't have worked back then, but they should have looked to merge with the WAFL, TFL and whatever the NSW and QLD bodies were to make an AFL. Promoting Port and Norwood from SA, two WA clubs, one from NSW, QLD and TAS and inviting three vic clubs to have a ten club national league. SNAFL would have had partial control of a top league instead of full control of a second rate one.
There was a fledgling but working model AFL model being built by the VFL in the early 80s, the SANFL accepted that and tried to join but were knocked back. No other model would have worked. For a start nobody had any money.

Where you high when posting this idea?
Why on Gods green earth would you want the w***ers and ****ing **** heads at the sanfl to have any control over a national league?
It's bad enough those ****ing pieces of shit have control of a state league.

Where you high when posting this idea?
Why on Gods green earth would you want the ******s and ******* **** heads at the sanfl to have any control over a national league?
It's bad enough those ******* pieces of shit have control of a state league.
Want? Never in a million years. Just saying if they truly had any vision they'd have stopped thinking SA was king shit and gone in as equals with others. Over the long term I'm glad they didn't, even if it did leave us with the abomination down the road and a late entry, instead of us in 1990 and Norwood in 1997 for a real instead of forced rivalry.

They literally couldnt not have afforded to. The VFL signed a huge TV deal (for its time) worth 30 odd million in 1987 with Seven, and the leagues income (not including clubs) was worth more than the SANFL and WAFL combined. (VFL revenues were approaching 30 million annually in 1989, WAFL/SANFL combined revenue was almost 12 million). If you take the top teams out of the local comps, league revenues would have plummetted.

Not to mention the WAFL literally went cap in hand to the WA Government for a bailout in the mid 80s, and in 89 it was reported that 7 out of 9 SANFL clubs were broke.

One is left to wonder how much in dividends to clubs was sacrificed on the Player Retention Scheme to prevent guys going to the VFL
The race between the VFL and SNAFL to see who can bankrupt themselves first paying more than they could afford. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a fledgling but working model AFL model being built by the VFL in the early 80s, the SANFL accepted that and tried to join but were knocked back. No other model would have worked. For a start nobody had any money.
IIRC at the time the VFL was struggling financially and the SANFL was doing well and because if that they wanted a bit too much in any merger.
However that is only from memory as I lived in Adelaide at the time but it was a long time ago and I've been know to forget things. :D

One is left to wonder how much in dividends to clubs was sacrificed on the Player Retention Scheme to prevent guys going to the VFL
Not that much. They had specific sponsors and events and lotteries to fund the retention scheme. There was some contribution out of the SANFL's general revenue.

Those sponsors, events and lotteries probably wouldnt have worked if fhe SANFL tried to market them as general activites if they never set up the fund. It waa effecfively set up as a trust fund for those players who signed on.

Not that much. They had specific sponsors and events and lotteries to fund the retention scheme. There was some contribution out of the SANFL's general revenue.

Those sponsors, events and lotteries probably wouldnt have worked if fhe SANFL tried to market them as general activites if they never set up the fund. It waa effecfively set up as a trust fund for those players who signed on.
Yes, every second lottery, raffle and counter lollie or chocolate box seemed to be linked to the retention scheme back then. It became a farce when 29 year old thug Scott Salisbury was 'retained' under the scheme. I had no respect for it after that.

Yes, every second lottery, raffle and counter lollie or chocolate box seemed to be linked to the retention scheme back then. It became a farce when 29 year old thug Scott Salisbury was 'retained' under the scheme. I had no respect for it after that.

And the little coat-hangerer is now a millionaire. Should be retrospectively means tested.

5AA is much better to listen to when Kornes is on, I'm glad he's playing on until he gets to 300 games as we don't have a replacement tagger yet but I'm looking forward to him becoming a regular on that show when he retires.

He stirs up their supporters & Rowe like no one else is able to on that station & his inside knowledge into Ports inner sanctum is good listening.

The only shakes head moment was when he said he'd barrack for Glenelg against the Maggies in a GF *barf*.

Last edited:
..... the only shakes head moment was when he said he'd barrack for Glenelg against the Maggies in a GF *barf*.
That would be interesting given that he could, even if very unlikely, be playing for the Magpies in the 2015 SNAFL GF.

5AA is much better to listen to when Kornes is on, I'm glad he's playing on until he gets to 300 games as we don't have a replacement tagger yet but I'm looking forward to him becoming a regular on that show when he retires.

He stirs up their supporters & Rowe like no one else is able to on that station & his inside knowledge into Ports inner sanctum is good listening, the only shakes head moment was when he said he'd barrack for Glenelg against the Maggies in a GF *barf*.

Glenelg are so gross. They serve no purpose. None.

That would be interesting given that he could, even if very unlikely, be playing for the Magpies in the 2015 SNAFL GF.
Plus the most unlikely part of that situation occurring would be Glenelg winning enough games to make the GF In the first place lol.

Glenelg are so gross. They serve no purpose. None.
Even training cones would have put up more of a fight vs Port in that 150+ point belting.

I legit think our Academy team (Our 3rds) would beat their 1sts.

Hey, leave Glenelg alone. I found them more than useful in 1977, 1981, 1988, 1990 and 1992. They have provided us with moments of hilarious comedy and tragic pathos that can never be replaced.

Hey, leave Glenelg alone. I found them more than useful in 1977, 1981, 1988, 1990 and 1992. They have provided us with moments of hilarious comedy and tragic pathos that can never be replaced.
1986 is that right? dear oh dear they do share more than colours & a nickname with Richmond

1986 is that right? dear oh dear they do share more than colours & a nickname with Richmond

They actually won the flag in 1986 (and 1985, a pox on your house North Adelaide and Mike Nunan).

Those were the years Port has beaten Glenelg in a grand final, who has time to remember everyone that's done it? :p

Port has won more premierships against Glenelg than Glenelg has won premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back