Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

The medical sub is the only emergency allowed to go on the ground during the warm up, and most teams would use the opportunity, as being on ground might influence choice of footwear. As soon as an injured player is being assisted off the sub should be warming up.

In such a close match a fit player could have been the difference. Seems the AFC is trying to defend the indefensible.
Aside from all those finals and flags, our coach has more experienced that Clarko, I think he knows what he is doing.

:drunk:

I think the point is that Tom is not Patrick Cripps or Dustin Martin. I agree there are many players that play with a jab before the game but is this helping their body heal? Usually this worsens the injury and they are out for an extended period of time. Lynch is not critical to our team. He hasn't been for some time. We don't need an injured Tom Lynch out there. He doesn't help us at all running around injured.
Given the number of experience players currently out due to injury, I can see why Nicks see Lynch as a very important player and critical to our structure as he will get one of the opposition better defender but his form didn't warrant his selection after the North game.

LOL that's your go-to quote whenever I push the issue further. Try conversing without the copout response. It's getting lame.
Seriously, stop digging.

Corticosteroid has use for days to 8-12 weeks. Little to no value for game-day injection. Used frequently post-game or during the week.

For a toe injury (which I believe is his deal) a digital ring block with a non-adrenaline lignocaine, maybe a bit of marcaine if wanting a longer-term duration of effect would be fine.

This would anaesthetise the toe, but given the toe is controlled by tendons with their muscles in the calf, there would be no significant loss of control, nor would there be extensive deadening.

Unless negligently overdosing there are no realistic complications. Would also work within 5 minutes if wanting to leave until he was needed.

I had kinda assumed you were a medico, but now really doubt it. Or at least have significant concerns.

Given the number of experience players currently out due to injury, I can see why Nicks see Lynch as a very important player and critical to our structure as he will get one of the opposition better defender but his form didn't warrant his selection after the North game.
The club is overvaluing Lynch's importance to the team. They tend to base assessments of when a player was at their peak which was 2016 - 2017 and don't take into account decline. It's a common mistake they have made with numerous aging players which has led to our lack of experience in the younger demographic of our team. The club feels that a player who has done it before can get back to that form if they play them long enough. They tend to ignore decline in aging players and lack patience with younger players. This whole saga encapsulates their misguided philosophy.

Seriously, stop digging.

Corticosteroid has use for days to 8-12 weeks. Little to no value for game-day injection. Used frequently post-game or during the week.

For a toe injury (which I believe is his deal) a digital ring block with a non-adrenaline lignocaine, maybe a bit of marcaine if wanting a longer-term duration of effect would be fine.

This would anaesthetise the toe, but given the toe is controlled by tendons with their muscles in the calf, there would be no significant loss of control, nor would there be extensive deadening.

Unless negligently overdosing there are no realistic complications. Would also work within 5 minutes if wanting to leave until he was needed.

I had kinda assumed you were a medico, but now really doubt it. Or at least have significant concerns.
I don't really understand your mindset, I'm here to make conversations and to learn more. I don't know what they inject in the "jabs" and was postulating from a background knowledge. Do you know the jabs are all local anesthetics during in-game? Because I assumed some jabs would be corticosteroids as well, or perhaps some mixture with the local? If you know then just say it, why the need to go on attack mode?

The club is overvaluing Lynch's importance to the team. They tend to base assessments of when a player was at their peak which was 2016 - 2017 and don't take into account decline. It's a common mistake they have made with numerous aging players which has led to our lack of experience in the younger demographic of our team. The club feels that a player who has done it before can get back to that form if they play them long enough. They tend to ignore decline in aging players and lack patience with younger players. This whole saga encapsulates their misguided philosophy.
I reckon part of it comes down to our list management in how we pay players. We seem to go for a "You get your big deal at the end of your career once you've proven yourself" mentality, which sees loyalty rewarded with a big deal to see our their careers. So then it becomes a point of we can't play this guy so much money to play SANFL, so get them in and get them back into form if they're playing badly.

Ideally we'd pay more on a bell curve, where guys in the peak of their career make the most money and then slowly drop back down after that period. Free agency does make that a bit harder now with guys hitting 26-28 and wanting another long term deal, but you should be able to work around that if you're smart enough.

The club is overvaluing Lynch's importance to the team. They tend to base assessments of when a player was at their peak which was 2016 - 2017 and don't take into account decline. It's a common mistake they have made with numerous aging players which has led to our lack of experience in the younger demographic of our team. The club feels that a player who has done it before can get back to that form if they play them long enough. The tend to ignore decline in aging players and lack patience with younger players. This whole saga encapsulates their misguided philosophy.
Well, Pyke was still trying to make finals in 2018-2019 so continue to play them and I guess Nicks has seen both Walker and Sloane turn their form around so he thought why couldn't Lynch.

Seriously, stop digging.

And another thing, the main previous discussion prior to corticosteroid vs local, was that the painkillers (whatever was used) can be damaging if overuse. These things ain't panadol, and in the heat of a sporting battle, can be potentially dangerous when you get more knocks on a numbed region, you can magnify the injury extent. Would you agree?

Seriously, stop digging.

Thanks, that was my understanding too albeit experience in another non human sports performance scenario.

Last edited:
I don't really understand your mindset, I'm here to make conversations and to learn more. I don't know what they inject in the "jabs" and was postulating from a background knowledge. Do you know the jabs are all local anesthetics during in-game? Because I assumed some jabs would be corticosteroids as well, or perhaps some mixture with the local? If you know then just say it, why the need to go on attack mode?
Steroids are for the long term, local anaesthetic for the short term, so yes only local on game day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread of 2021 so far. Needs a best of.

Let’s kick it off with the most unlikely of OPs, Abbott & Costello’s very own John ”Who”

We’re not in the least bit surprised, John.

Jackster claims the Adelaide forum’s GIF funnyman could make sense of this situation, and I think I agree:

Deaneus, polite as always

A Hawks supporter offers the most insincere apology of 2021 (in fairness, if this happened to them, we’d be over there offering insincere apologies too):

Gee, thanks man. That helps.

Stab enjoying his extended walk on the dark side:

Jackster provides a direct line into the childhood of every Gen Y poster on the forum:

MJ2611 sums up in one sentence what life as a Crows supporter is like:

The artist formerly known as Bicks throws up a brain teaser..

I think I need one now.

Vhaluus emphasizes the rare fact that every poster is on the same page with this, even Who!

Whoops, spoke too soon about everyone being on the same page...

I read that six times and all I can say is... I think we all want some of what ABAB is smoking.

You know it’s a bad day when Spackler’s cynical humour becomes a reality literally minutes after he posts:

You jinxed it, Drugs.

Sanders then gives his review of said press conference.

Vhaluus with the “too soon” award

Crowboto sums it up using the least number of characters humanly possible:

ABAB asks the exact question the rest of the forum are asking him:

Spackler with more Mackay-related humour:

Mutineer somehow thinks this is a good start to any sentence:

Can I finish that sentence with “the moon is made out of cheese” ?

Karen award goes to Deaneus...

Grotto is way too optimistic about the club’s future with this assessment:

You and I both know they haven’t.

Hey Shorty sums up how I feel about most posts on BigFooty

Captain Obvious award goes to another sneaky Hawks Fan

C’mon man! Please!

Spackler sets an impossible assignment for ABAB

And ABAB obliges, with a paragraph of waffle that would make even Jen’s eyes water

The Texan explains very clearly and concisely why he supports the Crows:

Froggy just edges Spackler in the humour stakes with this gem

Crisp!

Sanders triggers 80% of the folks who post in the politics thread:

And finally, what would any thread be without Godwin’s Law

POTY so far, like a greatest hits album that’s all killer no filler

Steroids are for the long term, local anaesthetic for the short term, so yes only local on game day.
Are you sure there's no mix with corticosteroids, in other regions? This is actually somewhat concerning if Lynch has had to have locals given in recent weeks prior to games starting...Why the heck wasn't he rested instead?

And another thing, the main previous discussion prior to corticosteroid vs local, was that the painkillers (whatever was used) can be damaging if overuse. These things ain't panadol, and in the heat of a sporting battle, can be potentially dangerous when you get more knocks on a numbed region, you can magnify the injury extent. Would you agree?

Ok

Your previous post asked why the style of response. Your responses, while you try to pass it off as just starting conversation, really just muddy the waters because you bring in "information" that just isn't accurate.

When people point this out, or correct you, you move the conversation and also go on the attack.

This post is further demonstration of lack of fundamental understanding. Corticosteroid itself is not a short term pain reliever. Injected without local, the pain would likely be worse for the first few days after the injection. It is also not the joint injected most of the time, but regional nerves.

No, it not panadol. Panadol will cause irreversible liver failure in overdose. OD on lignocaine is really hard.

Also an anaesthetised toe is not necessarily more likely to be injured. You may not know it has been, but unless there was an incident that would have caused injury anyway, it wouldn't be be an issue.

Well, Pyke was still trying to make finals in 2018-2019 so continue to play them and I guess Nicks has seen both Walker and Sloane turn their form around so he thought why couldn't Lynch.

The only problem is Lynch has no fast pace across the ground - he is a plodder. Yes, he can go all day but he doesn’t have an overdrive speed.

While fit Walker is one of the better forwards in the game. The staying fit component is the hard part. Once a player hits a certain age there is no guarantee there body will allow them to play at their full potential. My attitude is that if you have your drafting and trading correct there is no need to play injured experienced players. We shouldn't be playing them regardless. I think because our drafting and trading has been sub par this has led to an over reliance on experience. This has influenced our list management model of rewarding the player later in their career when they are declining. It could also be argued that our list management model may have led to poor drafting and trading.

Last edited:
The only problem is Lynch has no fast pace across the ground - he is a plodder. Yes, he can go all day but he doesn’t have an overdrive speed.
Lynch never and doesn't need pace to play his connector role, he has always rely on sustain running to outwork his opponent by running back and forth defensive and attack 50 arc.

Thread of 2021 so far. Needs a best of.

Let’s kick it off with the most unlikely of OPs, Abbott & Costello’s very own John ”Who”

We’re not in the least bit surprised, John.

Jackster claims the Adelaide forum’s GIF funnyman could make sense of this situation, and I think I agree:

Deaneus, polite as always

A Hawks supporter offers the most insincere apology of 2021 (in fairness, if this happened to them, we’d be over there offering insincere apologies too):

Gee, thanks man. That helps.

Stab enjoying his extended walk on the dark side:

Jackster provides a direct line into the childhood of every Gen Y poster on the forum:

MJ2611 sums up in one sentence what life as a Crows supporter is like:

The artist formerly known as Bicks throws up a brain teaser..

I think I need one now.

Vhaluus emphasizes the rare fact that every poster is on the same page with this, even Who!

Whoops, spoke too soon about everyone being on the same page...

I read that six times and all I can say is... I think we all want some of what ABAB is smoking.

You know it’s a bad day when Spackler’s cynical humour becomes a reality literally minutes after he posts:

You jinxed it, Drugs.

Sanders then gives his review of said press conference.

Vhaluus with the “too soon” award

Crowboto sums it up using the least number of characters humanly possible:

ABAB asks the exact question the rest of the forum are asking him:

Spackler with more Mackay-related humour:

Mutineer somehow thinks this is a good start to any sentence:

Can I finish that sentence with “the moon is made out of cheese” ?

Karen award goes to Deaneus...

Grotto is way too optimistic about the club’s future with this assessment:

You and I both know they haven’t.

Hey Shorty sums up how I feel about most posts on BigFooty

Captain Obvious award goes to another sneaky Hawks Fan

C’mon man! Please!

Spackler sets an impossible assignment for ABAB

And ABAB obliges, with a paragraph of waffle that would make even Jen’s eyes water

The Texan explains very clearly and concisely why he supports the Crows:

Froggy just edges Spackler in the humour stakes with this gem

Crisp!

Sanders triggers 80% of the folks who post in the politics thread:

And finally, what would any thread be without Godwin’s Law
Thanks for calling me insincere, it means a lot.

Ok

Your previous post asked why the style of response. Your responses, while you try to pass it off as just starting conversation, really just muddy the waters because you bring in "information" that just isn't accurate.

When people point this out, or correct you, you move the conversation and also go on the attack.

This post is further demonstration of lack of fundamental understanding. Corticosteroid itself is not a short term pain reliever. Injected without local, the pain would likely be worse for the first few days after the injection. It is also not the joint injected most of the time, but regional nerves.

No, it not panadol. Panadol will cause irreversible liver failure in overdose. OD on lignocaine is really hard.

Also an anaesthetised toe is not necessarily more likely to be injured. You may not know it has been, but unless there was an incident that would have caused injury anyway, it wouldn't be be an issue.
There were a few discussions I had with Grotto initially, and then Bicks chimed in with his typical attack. I admit I don't know what is in the "jab" and was postulating in general. There were a few points discussions around "painkillers" in general. I wasn't specifically talking on just the Lynch injury per se.

While fit Walker is one of the better forwards in the game. The staying fit component is the hard part. Once a player hits a certain age there is no guarantee there body will allow them to play at their full potential. My attitude is that if you have your drafting and trading correct there is no need to play injured experienced players. We shouldn't be playing them regardless. I think because our drafting and trading has been sub par this has led to an over reliance on experience. This has led to our list management model of rewarding the player later in their career when they are declining.
Hence why can't Lynch regain that form? Playing while carrying an niggling injury isn't ideal but a lot of players have done this and clearly this hasn't hampered his ability to cover the ground otherwise you wouldn't continue to play him even if he was a senior player. Nicks likely continue to play him hoping he find form but I think he will be out of the side and will need to get his toe fix after all the media attention now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back