The Most Powerful AFL President?

The Most Powerful AFL Club President?

• Richard Pratt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eddie McGuire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, he couldn't even get the support together to sack Clarkson. Really showed a lack of influence. Jeff is a politician, not a businessman. :)

Don't confuse him with Smorgon (Pagan).

The bloke ran the state, sewed up a $15mill sponsor for the club on the 14th hole at Royal Hobart and is currently running a very smooth ship at Hawkland...oh and he thinks Eddie's a twat.

Okay, have it your way. :)

Pratt is the most powerful AFL club President because he has the power to hire people from rival clubs (ie. Greg Swann) who are no good at their jobs. He attracts people to his club that were responsible for the mediocrity of their previous team's performances...

The reason for the Pies mediocrity is multi-factorial. But the main reason, is the terrible list management at Pieland, for much of the past 7-8 years. You guys are now stuck with an old, slow midfield, relying on a 36 yo with chronic hamstring injuries to carry the team. In addition, the Pies clearly have the least talented younger player group in the AFL now. Every year you seem to stuff up at least one top draft pick, and several ordinary players have been kept on your list for way too long. Player development is woeful. Swann is joining a Club with a much brighter future - i.e. a much younger, more talented list, better coaching support, massive financial backing, and a famous flag-oriented success culture. Sounds like a sensible career move to me. :)

Nope. Nice try. Either Swann did a poor job at Collingwood, and Pratt is hiring the wrong people (and therefore a terrible President), or Swann did a great job which is why he was hired by Pratt.

Much as you might like to pretend you haven't utterly contradicted yourself, you can't have it both ways. :)

Swann helped make us a financial superpower, he wasn't there to win us a flag so to speak. He obviously felt his job was done and needed a new project

I don't know what you define success as down at Pieland, but at Carlton success is winning flags - period. Everyone at the Carlton football club, has that objective in mind. Everything other than a flag, we consider failure - that's just how the Carlton success culture is. It's pretty bizarre calling one flag in 50 years "success" if you ask me. No wonder Collingwood have been mediocre for so long. :)
so carlton have won 16 flags in 108 or so years so they have been a failure for 92 of those years according to you. you carlton guys talk as if you have a 75% strike rate

so carlton have won 16 flags ...

Yes, that's why we are the most successful Club in the competition. The real focus now is flags 17, 18 and beyond. Pratt's appointment, plus the talented list we now have, plus the excellent coaching team, plus the famous Carlton success culture give us that multi-flag potential. Everyone want's to be part of this success - and I'm sure that was a major factor in Swann's decision to join the Blues. :)

Is Rod Butterss exclusion from the poll intentional or accidental? He would have to be up there on his track record alone.

In terms of money it's clear that Pratt is the victor, but everything else Eddie wins hands down... It's not hard for a club to get back on track through billion dollar charity work :rolleyes:

In terms of money it's clear that Pratt is the victor, but everything else Eddie wins hands down... It's not hard for a club to get back on track through billion dollar charity work :rolleyes:
Yeah, thats why Pratt has been able to attract the likes of Stephen Icke and Greg Swann to the club, and why membership numbers are increasing even after a wooden spoon year, and all of this after the summer we have had. I guarantee Eddie would not have been capable of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, thats why Pratt has been able to attract the likes of Stephen Icke and Greg Swann to the club, and why membership numbers are increasing even after a wooden spoon year, and all of this after the summer we have had. I guarantee Eddie would not have been capable of that.

Spot on. Eddie's expertise is self-promotion, and advertising the Collingwood Football Club using channel 9's Footy Show. He has very little credibility in the business world. By contrast Pratt is a highly successful businessman, who runs big organizations, and is highly respected. Little wonder why the Blues are now attracting sponsorship dollars, and people like Swann, who want to advance their careers. Success just seems inevitable at the Carlton Football Club, and everyone wants to be part of it. :)

Swann is at Carlton not to acheive on field success but to make the club money post Pratt.

He did well at Collingwood, while they are a failure off the field they are a success off.

Collingwood is more of a bussiness than a footy team.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an AFL president being as influential as Richard Pratt. A high success, high influence billionaire businessman, who is turning the Blues finances around at an amazing rate. It was just perfect timing. The Blues have acquired themselves a brilliant young list thanks to Hughes clever list management,

finishing last 2 years in a row and getting the number 1 draft pick will do that for you, yeah good list management
have a sensational coaching team,

who don't speak to each other i.e. pagan and mitchell

and now billionaire backing. His positive influence has permeated throughout the Club. The Blues massive supporter base has returned, sponsorship dollars gaining momentum,

who the hell is MC Labour Park (is it a bogan rapper)

and top executives clammer (clamour[/B])

to be part of this inevitable wave of success at the Carlton Football Club. Pratt decided to employ the Pies CEO, Swann, because he wanted to. Eddie is small league compared to Pratt.

well at least eddies got a wife that looks female

While everyone wants to be part of the Carlton success story, by contrast at Collingwood the exodus has begun, as the Pies future is looking bleak because of lazy list management, and the depressing Malthouse-Buckley angry culture. Interesting comparing the influence of these 2 presidents. Eddie’s prominent media career, means that he is a extremely well known “public face”, but falls way short compared to Pratt in terms of business success,

because he's worked in media all his life numbnut

financial power and influence. :)

pratt's got about 40 years on eddie you a.rseclown

what a load of crap, heard about counting your chickens before they hatch, still smorgon was going to be the saviour and he has a good business profile as well. you w.ankers ate him as well.

Yes, that's why we are the most successful Club in the competition.
Equal Parrot. Equal most successful.:) Although I think flag number 17 will come for both our sides before Collingwoods number 15.:)

Spot on. Eddie's expertise is self-promotion, and advertising the Collingwood Football Club using channel 9's Footy Show. He has very little credibility in the business world.
If that were true, Collingwood would have gone to the wall when Eddie left The Footy Show. Instead, the club's finances are amazingly healthy, and Carlton's poaching our administrators in an attempt to emulate the Collingwood model.

Next.

The thread asks: Who is the most powerful AFL president. Not "who has done the most work on their clubs".

McGuire is not in Pratt's league in terms of power and influence. Eddie did well to be where he is, but Pratt turned a small family company into a global business. He is one of the most respected and successful businessmen Australia has ever produced and on a global level, ****s on McGuire. And then there is the the small subject of him being a billionare - like it or not, in today's modern society, money is power. Especially if you have significantly more over your opponent.

In scale, influence, money and standing - Pratt's the bigger fish. Honestly, how Eddie is winning this poll is a mystery. It either indicates too many stupidly biased Collingwood supporters who have NFI or the average age of people who voted on this poll being 15 or less.

Or maybe it's because people can't read the question of the poll.

It's probably because Eddie has the runs on the board in terms of involvement at AFL level. He is also at the helm of Australia's most successful television network, which surely can't hurt when it comes to matters of sponsorship and media savvy.

One would think that Pratt certainly has the resources at his disposal, however, and is turning things around at Carlton. You could be forgiven for waiting longer than one preseason to see what effect Pratt has on a club though.

The thread asks: Who is the most powerful AFL president. Not "who has done the most work on their clubs".

McGuire is not in Pratt's league in terms of power and influence. Eddie did well to be where he is, but Pratt turned a small family company into a global business. He is one of the most respected and successful businessmen Australia has ever produced and on a global level, ****s on McGuire. And then there is the the small subject of him being a billionare - like it or not, in today's modern society, money is power. Especially if you have significantly more over your opponent.

In scale, influence, money and standing - Pratt's the bigger fish. Honestly, how Eddie is winning this poll is a mystery. It either indicates too many stupidly biased Collingwood supporters who have NFI or the average age of people who voted on this poll being 15 or less.

Or maybe it's because people can't read the question of the poll.

Are we talking in terms of Business career or AFL Presidency here? Cause so far Pratt has yet to see a regualr season match as President. We all know Pratt has been a successful businessman, and his billions of dollars highlight that fact but anyone with half a clue and a billion dollar bank account can get a footy club back on track...

Yeah, but that's not what the question was. You either have a lot of power or you don't. Having the "runs" at club or AFL level is irrelevant to the question.
Well, I don't know how much of his money Pratt is prepared to spend on the Carlton F.C., so we'll know how much "power" he has when we see a sustainable turnaround in Carlton's off-field performance, won't we?

Eddie has made a lasting difference at Collingwood, I'd say that's power. Controlling the media is also power. Ability to attract sponsors is also power, as some of the Hawks fans have rightly pointed out regarding Jeff Kennett. You're being narrow-minded if you think a bank balance is the only form of power.

Well, I don't know how much of his money Pratt is prepared to spend on the Carlton F.C., so we'll know how much "power" he has when we see a sustainable turnaround in Carlton's off-field performance, won't we?

Eddie has made a lasting difference at Collingwood, I'd say that's power. Controlling the media is also power. Ability to attract sponsors is also power, as some of the Hawks fans have rightly pointed out regarding Jeff Kennett. You're being narrow-minded if you think a bank balance is the only form of power.

Eddie has actually done very little at Pie land. Z.E.R.O flags, terrible list management, and now stuck with an aging slow list. Eddie is just a glorified Used-Car Salesman i.e. all hype and no substance. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Most Powerful AFL President?

Back